Terrain and bike for Davis WV- Mtbr.com

May 2007

Terrain and bike for Davis WV

Im moving to Davis WV next year and I am wondering how the terrain is. I plan on riding at timberline and Canaan and other places like that around davis, How is the terrain there, can I use a hardtail or is it to harsh, do I need to get a full suspension, Im trying to decide between a jamis dragon pro or cannodale rush 1000 between the two bikes which do you think is the best for wv's terrain thanks

the unvarnished nonsense
    The Canaan/Davis area is very technical with lots of rocks and lots of wet roots. Granted, we used to ride the area on fully rigid bikes, but that's all they made back then. I'd go with a full suspension bike if it were my choice. If you're thinking about a Cannondale check out what will be your new LBS, Blackwater Bikes. Give Roger and Matt the business and consider purchasing your new bike from them. They're a great shop, and you'll be in like Flynn when you move there.

You're gonna love your new home.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

the unvarnished nonsense
    The Canaan/Davis area is very technical with lots of rocks and lots of wet roots. Granted, we used to ride the area on fully rigid bikes, but that's all they made back then. I'd go with a full suspension bike if it were my choice. If you're thinking about a Cannondale check out what will be your new LBS, Blackwater Bikes. Give Roger and Matt the business and consider purchasing your new bike from them. They're a great shop, and you'll be in like Flynn when you move there.

You're gonna love your new home.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Because I am !
    Just a suggestion, don't get rid of the hardtail. I've ridden both in that area
    and there are spots where the HT can be a bunch of fun, however once you
    go over there, rent a FS off Roger or Matt at Blackwater Bikes and see the
    difference. I'm sure when you ride Plantation Trail or the Park to Park, you'll
    opt for the FS.

Blackwater Bikes is a great bike shop, I consider them my LBS yet I live two
    and 1/2 hours from there.

That is one of our favorite spots to ride in the state. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

ODN

PS: Hey davis, double post? Did the thought of the impending shoulder surgery
    cause that or is it the pre surgery pain killer? Just kidding of course! Again,
    hope all goes well.
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I live in Maryland but ride in Davis quite a bit, relatively speaking. I think the ideal bike for around there is a 6" travel all mountain rig. The downhill sections aren't super hairy or technical, and there can be some climbs mixed in, even with the strictly lift serviced stuff. I'd also recommend against a monopivot bike, since you sometimes climb pretty rock terrain, and pedal feedback can be pretty annoying.

I've been to Blackwater Bikes a couple times and have always left with a bad taste in my mouth. The shop guys jumped on me like I was walking into a used car dealership and tried to pressure me into some sales. They're well stocked, and I'm glad they're so close to the hill, but I don't enjoy going there.

By the way, ask me about the Fed catching my friends and I camping in a Federal Wildlife Preserve.

mtbr member
    As for bikes for the local terrain - a full suspension trail bike with 4+ inches of travel will get you down just about any trail in the Valley just fine. I ride a Blur with 4.5" travel and 2.1" tires. Seems to be a perfect setup for the trails up there. Lately I see lots of locals riding 29'er hardtails. In fact I think 29er riders took first place in 5 of the race classes in the last West Virginia Championship race there this summer.

A 6" travel bike as suggested above would certainly be a lot of fun, but a bit of overkill IMHO for most trails other than the downhill scene in Canaan Valley - such as there is. I like a bike that is fun and easy to ride all day - because once you move up to Davis that's what you'll be doing - epic all day rides right outside your front door.

I'll second ODN's recommendation of Blackwater Bikes. Like ODN, I consider them my LBS - even though I live some 3.5 hours aways in NVA. Roger has always treated me fair, and has taken great care of my bike for all service. He's fixed things right that my LBS here in Fairfax wanted to replace with new products. He can seem a bit cranky - but that's part of his charm. I always get a friendly greeting when I visit. Make no mistake - BWB is a small independent bike shop in a small town - so they want and need to make a buck or two to stay in business serving the local cycling community - but that's alright by me.

Repo

Members who have read this thread: 0