Storms- Mtbr.com

Thread: Storms

banned

Storms

Had a bad storm go through 2 nights ago and took out a ton tress in our area. Post your local trail conditions and clean up schedules would be awesome.

Rode Sherando today and there were approx 30 blow downs along Mill Creek and Torrey.

BMF
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'd be interested in a Whetstone update if anyone hears one.

Helmetless Crasher
    Schaeffer has about 20+ trail-blocking trees right now. Made for an interesting ride this AM, to say the least! I'm a chainsaw enthusiast and would love to help clean it up.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Accotink - Storm

Numerous blowdowns at Accotink right now - don't bring a bike - bring a saw. Wakefield was in good shape though.

My little friends
    I rode the Shed Saturday morning; no problems on the lawnmower-VW-knucklbuster loop.

Spandex Ninja
    Numerous trees down at Lake Fairfax, Difficult Run, and on the CCT. Get ready to do some hiking if you're going to ride out there...

psycho cyclo addict
    Muddy Branch is rideable but there are plenty of trees down. Cabin John looks like a bomb went off N and S of Tuckerman Ln. Even the road itself by the parking lot was blocked off (through yesterday afternoon) due to downed power lines. Glen Rd. headed toward Esworthy (on Muddy Branch route) was also thrashed. There were massive trees leaning across the road onto power lines/poles and modo huge trees snapped and down alternately blocking the N and S lanes of the road at multiple locations along the way. I've never seen nuttin like this in 40+ years in the area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rode, hiked, traversed Rosaryville MD yesterday 20+ major clusters of trees blocking the trail. I expected MD to fair better than NoVa but wasnt the case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Went out to GWNF Saturday bad shape lots of trees down on FR95 climb (aka death climb) and also on Hankey Mtn area, got a ways onto Dowells Draft but went the other direction out to FR 96. I didnt count but would not be suprised if I had to climb/under/over/through 50 trees thorugout the day. Still a lot of power out too around multiple areas, looks like be hiting road rides for awhile.

Everyone should find sometime to help cleanup their trails in some shape or form whetehr it be day long chainsaw seessions or just clearing brush as you ride along every little bit helps.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    (secondhand knowledge)

pocahontas state park apparently has a ton of trees down to the point where the trails are unridable. The JRPS has several down, but i think is generally ridable, and has probably been mostly cleaned up as of now

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    CCVA forums confirms the Pocahontas status. I doubt the JRPS is totally rideable from what I have gleaned on there, but doesnt seem to be totally closed like Pocahontas. I'm headed out to Poor Farm tomorrow and will post status there if nobody says sooner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    not sure

mtbr member
    @Quantico. Will be a while before all is cleared.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

banned
    Just went to Walnut Creek, looks like that might be awhile to get a good ride in too. Roughly 20 blowdowns blocking the trail. Red loop by far was in the best shape. The little debris everywhere is worse then the big stuff.

banned
    Also a trailwork day is planned at Pleasant Grove tomorrow at 7:30am to fix the trails. They should be fully open to ride after.

mtbr member
    Anyone know how the Observatory trails are in Charlottesville? Was going down there tomorrow and thought I might bring the bike. Thanks.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    Anyone know how the Observatory trails are in Charlottesville? Was going down there tomorrow and thought I might bring the bike. Thanks.
    Talked to a guy who rides there often, bottom half he said is completely unrideable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Talked to a guy who rides there often, bottom half he said is completely unrideable.
    Thanks. I appreciate the quick reply. Will ride it another time.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Had a bad storm go through 2 nights ago and took out a ton tress in our area. Post your local trail conditions and clean up schedules would be awesome.

Rode Sherando today and there were approx 30 blow downs along Mill Creek and Torrey.
    MORE and some friends plan to clean up Schaeffer farm. This will be Tomorrow July 4 at 9:00 this is the information
    Schaeffer Trails Closed until Trees Removed - July 3 - MORE Forums
    C'mon help SF ....the plan will be close until the park get better conditions

mtbr member
    Anybody know what Douthat SP trails look like?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Another rider told me the trails are closed right now.

FYI - Trailwork went well today, and Pleasant Grove has all trails completely open.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [/B]
    All trails and campgrounds are closed now....heard it was gonna be awhile.

mtbr member
    Bummer....guess I'll avoid the area for now. Thanks for the updates...

mtbr member
    can anyone update regarding carvins cove trails?

mtbr member
    can anyone update regarding carvins cove trails?
    I rode carvins Tuesday night (9 PM to 11PM) passed the park and rec guys at the gate as they were leaving. A big thanks to Brian B and all the other trail gnomes that made the trees disappear in record time. The following is clear: 4 G, 4G ext., littlebell, songbird, arrowhead, tuck-away, fireroad from gate to 4 G. They prob. cleared quit a bit more that I didn't have time to ride as well.

May get over there for a climb tonight and to see how the upper trails are if I can quit pissing around and leave work
    If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

banned
    Rode Massanutten today, in the best shape of most of the trails around. Only 4 blow downs on the major trails. Kaylors Knob trail though has approx 10 blowdowns and the long steep descent at the end is in real rough shape. It was challenging even doing a walk around.

another bozo on the bus
    As of 2 days ago SMT/ Southern Traverse had over 150 blowdowns. Rumors of Kennedy's Peak being impassable on foot. Big Schloss is in pretty good shape as the saws have already rolled through

mtbr member

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup View Post
    As of 2 days ago SMT/ Southern Traverse had over 150 blowdowns. Rumors of Kennedy's Peak being impassable on foot. Big Schloss is in pretty good shape as the saws have already rolled through
    Figures....after 10 of us just spent an 8 hour day out there on the SMT "clearing" the trail.

In other news, Preddy Creek is clear after the workday Monday.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Has anybody ridden Slacks and/or White Rock Gap? I'm sure they've got some blow-downs, but I'm curious if it's even worth the trip to Sherando at this point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

patapsco?

anyone know about conditions at Patapsco or Fountainhead?
    I'm passing through town this weekend and hoping to get a ride in.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Patapsco's in decent shape, go ride. Rockburn Skills Park is open as well, definitely hit that while you're there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Foutainhead is all clear. Sunday they are doing the official ribbon cutting on the new trails and Niner will have two trucks full of demo bikes to try from 11-3. I'm going for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kpcove View Post
    anyone know about conditions at Patapsco or Fountainhead?
    I'm passing through town this weekend and hoping to get a ride in.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Rode last tue Patapsco Mckeldin and it was a war zone...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I rode Preddy Creek on Wed and it was already cleared. Great Ride. Want to ride Walnut Creek tomorrow. It is going to be my first time there. I was hoping since Preddy Creek was in such good condition that Walnut Creek maybe also.

I rode quite a ways up Mill Creek trail on Tuesday. Quite a few downed trees but the part I rode was better than I expected. Rain came in and cut my ride short.

I am planning on riding Carvins next weekend. That will be my first time there. I am looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blknblu118 View Post
    I rode Preddy Creek on Wed and it was already cleared. Great Ride. Want to ride Walnut Creek tomorrow. It is going to be my first time there. I was hoping since Preddy Creek was in such good condition that Walnut Creek maybe also.

I rode quite a ways up Mill Creek trail on Tuesday. Quite a few downed trees but the part I rode was better than I expected. Rain came in and cut my ride short.

I am planning on riding Carvins next weekend. That will be my first time there. I am looking forward to it.

Were you able to make it Walnut Creek today?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I did ride Walnut Creek. It was my first time there and I kept getting turned around and riding the same trails over and over. Ugh. The only blowout I came across that I turned back for was on Chimney Trail right after it meets up with Wilkens Way on the top of the mountain. Of course I was extremely overheated and tired by that point so maybe I would have just climbed over it and went on otherwise. I did stop and grab a gatorade and cliff bar when I left. So on the way home I stopped by Preddy Creek and did the loop there. I have to say that is my favorite place to ride. It is so fast and fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Has anyone rode White Rock Gap or the Switchbacks since the storm? I am planning on hitting one of those after work next week.

mtbr member
    From RIMBAs facebook page today

RIMBA
    8 hours ago
    TRAIL STATUS UPDATE: The Cove is completely clear and ready to roll for the most part. There is some easy to navigate downage on the ridge, but all the lowers and uppers are clear save one tree down on HiDeeHo. This one tree is at the very top of HiDeeHo and not really a problem navigating but.......if you've got a good ax or chain......you will be appreaciated. Speaking of which, thanks to all the folks who stepped up HUGE and got stuff back to norm!! Have happy rolling at Cove
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen View Post
    From RIMBAs facebook page today

RIMBA
    8 hours ago
    TRAIL STATUS UPDATE: The Cove is completely clear and ready to roll for the most part. There is some easy to navigate downage on the ridge, but all the lowers and uppers are clear save one tree down on HiDeeHo. This one tree is at the very top of HiDeeHo and not really a problem navigating but.......if you've got a good ax or chain......you will be appreaciated. Speaking of which, thanks to all the folks who stepped up HUGE and got stuff back to norm!! Have happy rolling at Cove
    I did a several hour night ride at the cove yesterday. Happy to report that HDH is clear from top to bottom. 1000' fire road has several monster trees down all of them "uphill" from the four gourge intersection. Nothing to hard to navigate, but you'll be getting off you bike a cpl of times. All of the middle and lower trails are clear. Thanks again to the folks who did all the hard work.
    If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    i think the majority of the trail was cleared, but there might still be a tree down on lakeview? can't remember for sure but AFAIK they are open and ridable now

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rode short ride at Hillendale today. Still has downed trees. I am still amazed at all of the devastation from that storm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I left town the day after the storms came through and am getting caught up on the damage. I learned yesterday that Douthat had been closed all week, which makes me wonder what the GWNF trails north of there are like. Anyone been on northern Middle Mountain, Brushy Ridge, Little Mare, etc.?
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

banned
    A friend rode Pocahontas this morning and said all was clear!

I rode Walnut Creek this morning and nothing has been cleared there. It still is a real mess, roughly 20 blowdowns that are not passable.

Anyone know if CAMBC is going to do a trailwork day there? And when? Would try to fit it into my schedule to help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I received an update directly from Douthat SP. The trails are closed until further notice for evaluation and clean up.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I rode the lake view out there this morning and there is still one big tree down at the start of lake view 2. But otherwise all clear.

Happy Trails
    Apr 2010

Poca Loop Trails

Rode Pocahontas loop trails including Little WV ( Double Red) and only on walk around on the green loop so pretty good in poca

Ride Bikes. Drink Beer. Repeat :thumbsup:

featherweight clydesdale

I rode Walnut Creek this morning and nothing has been cleared there. It still is a real mess, roughly 20 blowdowns that are not passable.

Anyone know if CAMBC is going to do a trailwork day there? And when? Would try to fit it into my schedule to help.
    Word is it might happen Tuesday, Ari will likely do the organizing and send the email. In other news, CAMBC has about 150 members, 400+ getting emails, about 3 people organizing and leading trailwork....see a problem there? Question on how to organize trail work, hit me! If you organize the work, it fits your schedule. Always works for me.
    www.cambc.org

featherweight clydesdale
    Has anyone rode White Rock Gap or the Switchbacks since the storm? I am planning on hitting one of those after work next week.
    Got a report on Millcreek/Switchbacks at Sherando. The lower 60% of the trail had 15 trees down which are now gone. Upper part and the rest, who knows.
    www.cambc.org

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    Word is it might happen Tuesday, Ari will likely do the organizing and send the email. In other news, CAMBC has about 150 members, 400+ getting emails, about 3 people organizing and leading trailwork....see a problem there? Question on how to organize trail work, hit me! If you organize the work, it fits your schedule. Always works for me.
    Sorry Will, but I want nothing to do with CAMBC, they have been very unfriendly at best.

Give you and John Petralyk a big THANK YOU for what you have done for these trails. And I have done trailwork all by myself in the past with my limited resources, but without a chainsaw and tools not getting very far right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I rode Millcreek yesterday the lower part was all clear. There were two guys on their way up to clear the switchbacks as I was leaving. Thanks so much guys. I plan on riding the whole way up and back down next week.

mtbr member
    Where is Millcreek? I haven't heard of that one before.

I rode Millcreek yesterday the lower part was all clear. There were two guys on their way up to clear the switchbacks as I was leaving. Thanks so much guys. I plan on riding the whole way up and back down next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It is right off coal road near sherando lake. You take 340 almost to sherando lake, then get on coal road about a mile down on the left hand side there is a small parking area. It is a gradual climb for about 5 to 6 miles then you hit the switchbacks which is very steep uphill to the top of the mountain. But coming downhill on that is outstanding.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Apparently Douthat trails are open. This may be old news, but I didn't see it posted anywhere.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/botetourtvi...llowing-storm/

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Apparently Douthat trails are open. This may be old news, but I didn't see it posted anywhere.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/botetourtvi...llowing-storm/
    First I have heard of it. Thanks for the link, somehow I missed the most important news in the paper today.

mtbr member
    Cabin john is still covered with downed trees as of 8/9/12

Members who have read this thread: 0