Stokesville VA Riding - Need Advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stokesville VA Riding - Need Advice!

The town is called Stokesville, how f'ing cool is that!

Looking to get some local advice and possibly trail conditions for the trails in the George Washington National Forest. I'm heading out that way at the end of next week to do a couple days of riding.

I've been looking at some of the normal and well known loops like Narrowback, Lookout Mountain and Reddish Knob which look fantastic, do you guys know if those are rideable right now?

I'm also looking to put together one longer ride that will be point to point. Looking to start at North Mountain trail - Crawford Mountain Trail to Chimney Hollow DH run.

Any feedback on the trail conditions or other loops I should be looking at would be great. I was told there was some snow in the higher points but it could potentially be burned off by midweek!

WillWorkForTrail
    Stokesville is as cool as it sounds. Contact Chris at Stokesville Lodge for trail conditions and other recommendations. You are in for, in my opinion, some of the best riding on the east coast.

Stokesville Lodge | On the North River in Stokesville Virginia with 500 miles of single-track out the door.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As cotharyus said, best to contact chris at the lodge. You will not be dissappointed. The riding there is awesome. I haven't been down to the harrisonburg area in 2 years. Really miss it. Got to plan a weekend trip.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Excellent thank you guys! I will touch base with Chris early next week to find out how the conditions are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The local forecast for the eastern side of the mountains is calling for up to 5" of snow this week. They usually get more over there. I would definitely contact Chris later this week to see what they got.

As far as loops go, you can easily combine Narrowback and Lookout for a big day. That's what they do for the 60K course during the Stokesville 60/40.

mtbr member
    Yeah its not looking good at all over there. Do you guys know if there are locations outside of Harrisonburg that usually get less snow or will be rideable? I spoke to a guy at Shenandoah Bicycle Co and he was talking about some spots roughly an hour north that might be OK.

I might have to cancel the trip and just return in a few months when I know its going to be good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Did you get out or cancel? I'm heading down this weekend with the family for spring break and hoping to try out some VA trails. I'd hoped that VA would be more into Spring than Michigan, but news of snow and such has me worried no fun for me.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
    Did you get out or cancel? I'm heading down this weekend with the family for spring break and hoping to try out some VA trails. I'd hoped that VA would be more into Spring than Michigan, but news of snow and such has me worried no fun for me.
    Your best bet is to do what I advised above, and contact Chris. He's got the pulse of the place. I've heard some conflicting stories about how much snow actually fell and where it fell. When I talked to a friend the other day, he said it was only a couple inches, and should be fairly dry. They have no rain in the forecast - he said. But contact Chris.

mtbr member
    Hey Guys - I ended up postponing, I had a house rented in Staunton and the owner said they got 11" at the house. It was just too much of a risk for a 10 hour drive. Rescheduled for first weekend in June and I can't wait!