Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm Stokesville in May? Info please?

Planning on visiting Stokesville this May.

Any of your fav areas/trails/loops we should ride?

One good day of singletrack riding will be the ticket, all are expert level riders, 25-35 miles would be great!

Lodging friday night for 6?

Fav eats after?

Thanks for your help!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Lookout mountain is phenomenal and just outside of camp, I'd definitely try to work that in somewhere.

As for a 25-30 mile loop I see two major directions to go; first is heading south up and over Hankey from camp, second is heading north to Narrowback.

Going south I'd probably do Hankey, down Dowell's, out 250 and back on Braley Pond, then up Wild Oak, all the way down Hankey and finishing with Lookout. Not positive on mileage but probably around 30 with 3 or 4 thousand feet of climbing if I had to guess.

Going North I'd climb the fire road from Bear Trap Lane, do the whole Festival loop using the fire road to complete the loop, then climb back to Festival to Tilghman West (a super fun flowy descent), and then take the road back to camp. That's probably closer to 20 miles with only 2k of climbing, or thereabouts.

If you have a shuttle I'd definitely recommend shuttling off Reddish Knob, down Timber Ridge to Wolf Ridge then take the road to climb up to Festival and ride that all the way to Tilghman West. This is twenty couple miles with 1500 foot of climbing or so... Heavy descending for the first hour.

One of the best maps for finding the goods there is actually the SM100 course map. I would download a copy of that and try to work something out from there. Too many good options for me to feel confident pushing you towards one.

Email Chris at Stokesville Campground and you can camp there for ten bucks a head, best way to get the full experience in my opinion. As for eats, I always just cook in camp though I have eaten some food from the gas station there and it was surprisingly good, not to mention the beer selection (say hey to Joel the owner who rides as well.)

WillWorkForTrail
    ^^^ That pretty much leaves me with nothing to say, unless you just have to try the Southern Traverse, which isn't to far afield once you're in Stokesville.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Massanutten resort has a good amount of riding, plus the bike park. As said above, Lookout and Narrowback. Plenty of miles with lots of elevation. If heading into Harrisonburg, there are several good places to eat, bbq joints (can't remember the names), Jimmy Madison's, Capital Ale House to name a few.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks guys... your help will make for a better trip for me and my buds!

Hope I can return the favor some day!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Stokesville 60K course covers Narrowback and Lookout in one loop. The Narrowback portion is 23 miles and about 2400 ft of climbing. The full 60K is 5300 ft of climbing.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Check out MTBProject, app and website. All the main rides are on there, with great descriptions and routes to follow.

If you do the Braley ride that TheDwayyo suggested, tack on Georgia Camp. It was recently brushed, and is really nice right now. You can ride around Braley Pond and over the FS road, cutting out all but a small piece of 250.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    ^^^ That pretty much leaves me with nothing to say, unless you just have to try the Southern Traverse, which isn't to far afield once you're in Stokesville.
    Just rode the Southern Traverse for the 1st time last weekend. It was by far my biggest day on a MTB to date (37ish miles 4400 ft of climbing). The trail was in great shape in spite of the recent rain. I would whole heartedly suggest this in the next week or two before it gets grown up. Be prepared for miles of skinny side-hill trails on this one and the best views I've ever seen in my home state.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Just rode the Southern Traverse for the 1st time last weekend. It was by far my biggest day on a MTB to date (37ish miles 4400 ft of climbing). The trail was in great shape in spite of the recent rain. I would whole heartedly suggest this in the next week or two before it gets grown up. Be prepared for miles of skinny side-hill trails on this one and the best views I've ever seen in my home state.
    Yeah, this really is a fantastic ride. I have to say though, I've never been up there while there were leaves on the trees. I rode this Dec. 31st a couple years back, and there was actually a light dusting of snow that stuck around most of the day. Made some of those rock drains interesting to cross, but it was a great ride, and the views were totally unobstructed.