Stokesville 60/40 Trail conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Stokesville 60/40 Trail conditions

The Stokesville 60/40 is scheduled for this Sunday.
    Considering the rain/snow forecast for tonight and more rain forecast for Sunday morning early, what do you guys think the trails will be like?
    I've never been there, so I have no idea how well the place drains.

Thanks,
    Charlie

mtbr member
    I don't have any info to add but I will also be heading up from NC. I assume the area drains well, being on the ridge like that. We will find out soon!

mtbr member
    Trails and soil there drain better than average.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As of now, the forecast is not calling for any more precip. Regardless, I've ridden there when it was raining on the drive to the trailhead and it was fine. The trails drain about as well as any I've ever ridden.

WillWorkForTrail
    There's a lot of rock up there. The only time I've seen conditions sketchy around stokesville was severe freeze/thaw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    As of now, the forecast is not calling for any more precip. Regardless, I've ridden there when it was raining on the drive to the trailhead and it was fine. The trails drain about as well as any I've ever ridden.
    just saw the forecast changed, sweet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm in ~ Should be a good time! No real hills down here south of Richmond Va. so I thought about just doing the 40k. I have ridden much of Narrow back but I've never ridden Look out mtn before so what would be the adventure in that? Signed up for 60 ~ Very curious as the level of suck mile 28-30 brings.

WillWorkForTrail
    Nothing about lookout sucks. I rode it ....4? years ago just after the rehab/reroute had been done on it, and it's still a highlight trail in my mind. It's more technical than Narrowback, but it's a barrel of fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    Look Out Mtn was defiantly an impressive trail. The technical features were the most difficult I've ridden yet ~ Nothing in or around Richmond compares. Fire road climb brought out the suck (30 min / ran out of fitness). But the down hill was rocking! First time I've ever experience wanting to adjust for faster compression / rebound. 50 yards + of soccer ball sized rocks on the down hill kept you off the seat and on your toes. Hope to get back out there and do a casual ride sometime soon. Being a flat lander XC guy I believe I could make gains with better suspension tuning. (40+ Clydesdale / sub 5 hrs)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My hands are sore today from the death grip I had going down Lookout Mtn!! Definitely nothing like that here in Richmond. I need to go work on my skills on those trails soon.

mtbr member
    Ha yes! that was brutal. Good times were had for sure! How did you end up finishing? I didn't stick around for results, by my handy dandy Garmin had me at 3:14.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, that's fast. You're definitely in the top 15.

I was right around 4 hours according to my Garmin. I lost so much time in the rocky singletrack.

mtbr member
    That last descent was crushing my soul for sure! Would have loved to have a big bike going down that...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lookout decent made me glad I was on the Camber and not the Niner Air 9. Beginner Clydesdale 40+ @ 4:43. Trying to get my feet wet this year. . . I felt good on all of the technical / down hill stuff until the Lookout FR climb stole my last can of youthful exuberance. I definitely need more physical fitness, there were no hills like that in my living room this winter.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm reading this stuff about Lookout and giggling. I love that trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Well I was really glad I only signed up for the 40k. I'm pretty sure I would have died if I had to climb anything else....I did break my 3hr goal though and finished a little better than mid pack of the 40k finishers (45+ clyde). I noticed in the results, it appears lots of the 60k folks pulled the plug after the aid station and headed in with the 40k folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How about the fun parts of the day? Descending off Narrowback is my favorite downhill. I didn't enjoy much of anything that day, but I came close on the Tilman West descent. I was ready to stop at the 40k aid station, but I just kept rolling. Glad I did, but I was miserable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree ~ Tillman was great! There was that one surprise HOLE that was kind of sketchy up next to a pine tree about 2/3 down (looked like base rocks / bolders had shifted seperated opening up the ground). I was also presently surprised to find the flow at the North end of Narrow back. My only other time up we rode the SM100 track and short cut the entire north end. . . So glad I prepped to ride unassisted / no aid stop. I needed every extra minute I could borrow to climb that fire road. Also had to get off and walk 1 short section on the paved road about race mile 26. Not that I could not crest it but I just felt as though I needed to work different muscles / drop the HR and attempt to save for the FR climb ~ Not sure it helped, I quickly realized that staying on the bike is SOOO much more efficient. Hill repeats are in my near future ~

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That paved section was brutal. I rode it a couple months ago and didn't remember it being that bad. I've done bigger rides out there, but I had an off day and it was pure suffering for me.