Staunton/Harrisonburg trails- Mtbr.com
    bob
    mtbr member

Staunton/Harrisonburg trails

I'll be visiting my parents in Staunton the end of July. I've done some riding in the area in the past.....Shenandoah Trail, Trimble Mtn, Walnut. This will be the first year my wife wants to ride with me. She's new to mtb's and though her cardio is good, she's still working on technical skills. What would be some good intermediate trails for her to ride? I was thinking something scenic like the Shenadoah Trial without the initial climb would be perfect (if it exhists). Is there anything like that around Braley's (sp?) pond? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Feb 2006
    If the cardio is on the up and up, you could always do out and back climbs up Braley's (Bald Ridge) and Dowell's draft across the street from the entrance of Braley's (gravel road/forest road pull off just a few yards up the road away from rte. 250). Bot present excellent non-technical climbs and can turn around to do a ripping, fun, non-tech DH.

bob
    mtbr member
    Thanks mns. Talked to the wife this morning and she's balking. Said she'd be happy with a paved bike path through town. Gypsy Hill Park he we come. But that leaves me to ride where I want....Sherando maybe or Shenandoah again. Any thoughts or recomendations for other trails?

Also about tire choice. Which would be the better set for local trails? 2.3 Blue Groove/ Nevegal combo (slow, crazy grip) or 2.24 Mutanoraptors (just got them but look faster than BG/Nev combo)

Feb 2006
    I would go mutano in the rear, nevegal up front. I prefer the trails around Stokesville over Sherando, but that is mainly becuase I ride Sherando a lot since it's close to my house and is limited mileage wise. If you can only get a shorter ride in, I'd go Sherando if you haven't been there before.

Members who have read this thread: 0