I live to bike

Spruce Knob Mountain Bike Adventure

I'd like to share a guided mtb ride I will be leading. Will be great for those who live closer to the cities and haven't had a chance to explore some back country mountain biking!

Date: May 12. Details: https://www.elementsport.com/spruce-knob-adventure/

Were serving up another excellent mountain bike adventure! The Spruce Knob to Seneca Creek adventure is a true back country excursion; in fact, it is designated by the International Mountain Bike Association as an IMBA EPIC. 17.6 miles long, with about 70% of it awesome singletrack. This is certainly not an easy ride, with around 1,950 feet of elevation gain, so a fair amount of climbing is involved. This is not a ride for beginner mountain bikers. You should have intermediate to advanced skill and stamina. This ride is not a race, so we will be taking breaks from time to time to make sure we are together (if we have enough participants, we will split into multiple groups).

Details on the loop can be found here: IMBA and MTB Project

Even though it will be middle of May, be prepared for cooler temps; mountain weather can sometimes be unpredictable, especially at WVs highest point! And pack a dry pair of socks in a Ziploc bag, as theres a stream crossing or two that may get your feet wet.

Suitable bikes for this ride: a mountain bike; a hybrid bike, or even a cross bike would not be a great choice.
    Be sure to bring plenty of water; a hydration pack is recommended.

Cost: $25. ($35 after April 28) This covers a guide and snacks for during the ride and beverages after the ride.

Register Here.

Ride Details:

• Meet at Spruce Knob Lake Campground at 10am.
    • If you would like to camp at Spruce Knob Lake Campground the evening before and/or after, you are on your own to make reservations. Go Here to make reservations.
    • Expected ride time is 3-4 hours. If there is time and interest, we may explore other trails in the area after finishing the main loop.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

banned
    Nov 2017
    Did this loop over 10 years ago. Full rigid titanium hardtail 29er. Awesome awesome ride!!!

mtbr member
    Damn...wish I read about this sooner...I would have ridden more this year up to now. Doubt I have the fitness to do this at this point...been slacking hard on the bike. I've ridden Up to the summit of Spruce Knob (did the GRUSK race first year) a couple times...nasty climb for sure. Maybe do this again towards fall?

Also...Jwiffle = Josh?
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

banned
    Nov 2017
    You found the service road climb to the top nasty? I remember it being steady and mellow.

mtbr member
    You're in better shape than me obviously. It's not an easy climb. At least I didn't think it was nor do a lot of folks. 3,000 feet in 20 miles isn't what I'd ever call mellow.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

I live to bike
    Yes, that's me.

It'll be fun ride, not a race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Damn...wish I read about this sooner...I would have ridden more this year up to now. Doubt I have the fitness to do this at this point...been slacking hard on the bike. I've ridden Up to the summit of Spruce Knob (did the GRUSK race first year) a couple times...nasty climb for sure. Maybe do this again towards fall?

Also...Jwiffle = Josh?
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!