Spruce Knob Lake Campground - Sinks Of Gandy Loop - WV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spruce Knob Lake Campground - Sinks Of Gandy Loop - WV

With the crappy weather I'm back at the computer writing up another one of my loop rides.

Spruce Knob Lake Campground - Sinks Of Gandy Loop is is a bike loop that first takes you along, over, down and up Allegheny Mountain and then to the Sinks of Gandy where you can see Gandy Creek disappear underground. You can actually follow it underground but that's not part of this ride. This bike loop is 25 miles long, has a maximum elevation change of over 1300 feet and even comes with it's own swimmin' hole. The ride surface is Forest Road, gravel road, dual track and non-technical single track. Allegheny Mountain lies within the Spruce Knob - Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area section of the Monongahela National Forest. I do have to warn you that there is a quarter mile long section where the trail is lined on both sides by stinging nettles. There is no way to avoid them. Just remember if you don't scratch, it will stop itching faster. It is a nuisance but the ride is still worth it. Of course that's not a problem this time of year. Hunters yes, Stinging nettles, no.
    Spruce Knob is the highest point in West Virginia. It is close to this loop but not part of it.

Spruce Knob Lake Campground - Sinks Of Gandy Loop

Fun Places To Bike In West Virginia

FrankNbike
    [email protected]

Because I am !
    Thanks for the info FrankNbike, nice post. Looks like a bunch of fun. My son and I ride
    near Davis often and made our way down to Spruce this past summer. Plan on doing
    that area some more. It's always nice to have an option if you just don't feel like riding
    all singletrack.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Jul 2006
    Another nice job

Hey "Frank" - I need some motivation to get off my fat patootie - if you want a tag-along buddy for some of those loops, PM me. We talked about it once, but never got around to it.

Members who have read this thread: 2