Spruce Knob - awesome ride!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Spruce Knob - awesome ride!

I found myself planning a last minute trip up to the Seneca Rocks area this past week, and I found some of outdoornut's older posts about the Spruce Knob trails. Being from NC and not knowing the area at all, he gave some great recommendations for a ride to do in ~3 hours after driving up there.

Great combination of technical riding (lots of rocks) and great views. The weather was also perfect. I've posted some pics of the Huckleberry -> Judy Springs -> Seneca Creek -> 112 -> 104 loop here.

mtbr member
    Wow awesome pics! What kind of camera did you use? Very impressive.

bikeboatbrewski
    Nice, one of my favorite areas in the whole state! We have kayaked/biked/skied the entire area including seneca creek, one of my personal favs.

song of the saw-whet owl
    awesome, highest point in the state!! It's an IMBA Epic ride now BTW.
    whats your gearing? I'm thinking it would be a decent loop on a SS like you did since there is no steep or tough climbs on it. Next time you are in that area, and want another must-do epic ride, hit the North Fork Mountain trail!!
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice pics. How was this ride on an SS 29er? I'm headed from Wisconsin to the Canaan Valley area in a few weeks and bringing my SS, but I'm a little concerned I'll be doing more hike-a-biking than actual bike-a-biking.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Great pics, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by calboy
    What kind of camera did you use?
    A simple Canon PowerShot SD1100... I couldn't have asked for better riding conditions when I was out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdishwash
    How was this ride on an SS 29er?
    It was perfect. I wasn't sure how much climbing I would be doing, and my local calibration is riding in the Pisgah National Forest, where the climbs can be long and steep, so I threw on my standard "mountain" gear 32x22. I didn't need that low of a gear for this loop based on climbing (though it did make the climb back up 104 at the end easier), but I did like having the lower gear going through all of the rocks at the beginning of Huckleberry. Even though most of that singletrack points downhill, there was still a good deal of pedal surging and sort to get up and over things.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Another kick-ass ride in that area is the North Fork Trail. Fantastic. Ride it and contact WV Congressional members and tell them to oppose wilderness on North Fork (Even if you are from out of state - tourism counts)

Because I am !
    Very nice writeup on your link MarkMTB, glad I could be of help. Hope to hit that one myself next month again. One of my must do's every year.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hope everyone doesn't mind if I revive this thread. Scoped out Mark's ride report and now I'm hooked. Planning on bringing a TORC group up there around June 25th (ma birthday).

We will be camping out in the area for at least Thursday night through the weekend...leave Sunday.

Anybody is welcome to join us. Any information that will help in route planning, saving money (gotta have warm showers though) and having a good time; please share.

On a personal note, I've got a Ibis Mojo SL for a nice 4-5 hour ride in the saddle and then I would like to bring my Butcher for some short multiple trips down Gandy from Alleghany on a separate day. Sound reasonable for light free-ride style trips without a shuttle?

Members who have read this thread: 0