Southwest VA Trail Opportunity- Mtbr.com
    featherweight clydesdale

Southwest VA Trail Opportunity

Passing this on...

As part of the negotiation with our Wilderness friends during the Jefferson National Forest Management Plan revision, a plan was reached to work together to create more non-motorized shared-use trail opportunities in Southwest VA. The Eastern Divide Ranger District is doing just that in the Wolf Creek area on Rich and Round Mountain's. Please review the attached document. We need you to email ([email protected] fs.fed.us) Cynthia Schiffer by 4:30 PM on Monday January 19th with some comments that will support this proposed trail system being designed for bicycle use.

about the attached notice I just received today -
    The Forest Service is proposing a 62 mile shared use, but mtb oriented, trail system in Bland County. This is incredibly exciting and great opportunity. Mountain bikers across Virginia and West Virginia should email the Eastern Divide ranger district and let them know what a great idea this is. A trail destination of this size will significant tourism and economic development benefits. The comment period ends Jan 19th.

Please send emails of support to [email protected] fs.fed.us with [Wolf Creek Trail System Scoping Comments] in the subject line- a PDF of the plan is attached.

You could also call Cynthia or Jon Wheeler for more information or to verbally support this before 4:30 monday afternoon - 540-552-4641

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Wow,thanks for the post-i didnt think or doing that here!
    This area has incredible possibility for epic rides.
    And as i find very rare in that some of the trailheads are less than 1mi from I77.
    There are also gravel/dirt road monster climbs,road bike rides,and-no people.
    Just a few hours from population centers in NC,Va,OH.
    Please read and let them know -yes-this is awesome!
    Thanks,Buzz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

i ride a bicycle
    If you are interested in mtb/hiker only trail on this please mention this in your reply.Also send to [email protected] HURRY LAST DAY I THINK

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    hey,im not really good with computers-would someone please repost this thread on th trail building/advocacy forum as well?Thanks!
    If you knew this area as us locals do....
    we want you to know!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info Fattire. Would have thought the word would be out on this one before the last comment day. I think the Mailroom address below will take your comments to the right place or close.

[email protected]

mtbr member
    thanks for the info, i work in bland so this could be great for riding on the way home to bluefield.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

29er zealot
    This is an excellent opportunity, I've always thought those mountains could have some great trails! Thanks for posting this up, keep us informed!

i ride a bicycle
    The office for the comments is closed today ,MLK day, i am waiting on info back from them about cut off date,will post asap . we do have good push 4 mtb/hiker only on this.
    We have been riding this area for years. i ll start posting rides & trail days

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    LaLD, Fattire, 29Buzz, or mtbbc - anyone heard any more on this proposed trail system? I am pretty sure there would be a lot of interest in this system - especially if a little more information was released on it. CCR

i ride a bicycle
    This system is pretty much a done deal,they should start on it early spring. We tried to get mtb only,that will not happen, but most of the interest has been from mtb anyway.13 of us rode there Sunday.We are now trying to get more advanced/single track than the original plan called for.I ll post more as they move foward

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Have not talked to the USFS folks myself-but through the grapevine it is a go!Work could start in March.I will get better info next week to post.
    We rode a trail last sunday and this sunday have a plan to do a very hard ride-20+degree climb-its a gravel road-but few can clean it-it is just so steep-for a few miles-no rest.Then a muddy road with ups and downs for est.5mi-then a double/single track downhill for 5+mi back to the start.Its still not a broken-in trail-just an overgrow logging roads-so sloppy leaves and limbs-good fun!We leave the shop at 12:30-can give dirrection where to meet there in Bastian-10 seconds off I-77
    Bz

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    mtbbc-hey Todd you wanna do the big climb with us sun.?I will push about 90 percent im sure-but im stoopid like that!
    My granny is a 24t-30t on the 29er-im gonna hurt!
    Bz

i ride a bicycle
    no on Sunday,hanging w/ family this week.That is a tuff climb!!Let me know who cleans it ! I m riding Pandapas Pond on Saturday,meeting there @ 11:30 .We ve got the right side @ power line cleared out now ,nice out & back.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Pandapas-been about 12yrs since i rode there-when im in that area Dragonsback calls me!
    Im at the shop untill 2pm on Saturdays-i always miss the rides.I will check that right side of the powerline out.-back in the 90's i would ride back in there up till the downed trees were too thick-then ride back out.There is lots of secret lil trails on the big hill-back in the day we would spend hours going up every path and deer trail we could fit a bike on.We even did a new peice back towards the BurkesGarden end last week-its one on the map of the new trails.We gotta get together and explore when it warms up and lil less muddy
    bz

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great to here this system is a go! Look forward to hearing more details. Keep us posted Thanks.!

mtbr member
    it iz ze mud zat makez ze ride fun. actually no its not. maybe the downhill but for sure not the climbs.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    we did the big hill 2/8/09 sun. its 3.5 mi 1600+ ft up-most of that in the first 2mi.Marlin did ride most-me and 2 young men-10 & 11 yrs old! walked the 1st steeps and pedaled the rest,total ride about 12mi..Lil fellows are tough!We kept a moderate pace-and looking around,the possibilities for a would class network are here-and it is not all black diamond-but still real mtb rides-not gravel roads.There are lots of terrain for more extreme trails than mapped so far-its a big mtn. to explore.For now if anyone wants to come here and ride-get in touch-i will send(or show!)7 sisters and the Round Mt trails we have now.Its a bit muddy on the access roads,but fine in the woods.
    Bz

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I met 2 guys last Fall while riding w/ a bud down in Blacksburg (Poverty Creek trail) that had mentioned about these trails being built (I was on the 29er,from Grundy area,my Bud was on the orange Gary Fisher 26er and from KY). We talked about it while on the trail.

Well,me n Dave forgot all about it (well,I did,can't speak for Dave...but I have been having some memory probs lately ). If you're on here and see this (and remember us),shoot me a PM,I'd like to ask you a few ?s. Thanks

Steve
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

i ride a bicycle

Good job! that b us / bland va riders

Yep I remember, Me & my brother n law,dont think hes on here.I ride a black fuel ex8
    We have been riding up where the trails will be built,kind of xc w/some climbs & alittle single track now .There is a lot of potential with the grant they have ! Some other good rides n the area also,let me know if ur gonna b n the area.I ll answer any questions i can.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Kool,it may be a while before I can get down there (long story),but the ?'s I had had lots to do w/ directions and trailmaps. Hope you had a great Christmas/New Years! When I get back able to ride (as in,really ride,not counting laps at the middle school),I want to get down there and check it out. =)

PS: Nice that you remember us =)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Members who have read this thread: 0