Snotcycle conditions- Mtbr.com
    Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

Snotcycle conditions

So, can any of you locals tell us what conditions we can expect for snotcycle on Saturday? Should be interesting regardless.

Masher
    i wont lie, im scared. need it to be frozen but not icy. anything else will be a nightmare with the recent weather.

Bicycle rider
    Yea, it’s inch sheet of ice outside. I won’t lie either, I am worried. I am hoping it will warm up enough tomorrow to melt the ice. I plan to pre ride tomorrow at 4:30.

mtbr member
    Guys, here is the scenario I forsee...tomorrow warm up and it turns sloppy, freezes somewhat over night, a litle crunchy possible morning of, but with all the riders, it'll soften up gooooooood for ya....mucky, muck... Should be a blast to watch ya all...LOL...dont be worried, this is racing, it'll be what it is, just adjust and go for it...don't forget, give out a report to those that dont pre-ride gives away your upper hand... think about it...

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    Remember this is January... there's plenty more racing coming up this summer

Stay loose, ride smart and have fun

Oh yeah one more thing... there WILL BE some racers out there that won't know what to do on the ice... BE CAREFUL

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I was out there this afternoon, My guess is that it will warm up tomorrow and the preriders will break it up and hard pack the ice, will get squishy in the fields.

Freeze good Friday night, then be mostly frozen with excellent traction until about 11:00 or 12:00, then soften up in the sun, but most of the singletrack is not really in direct sunlight at that time of day. I think at least half the trail will be good and frozen for the whole race.

Low of 18 Friday night, High of 33 forecasted for Saturday, and Accuweather says it wont break 30 until Noon.
    Ride Your Bicycle

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 269er
    Oh yeah one more thing... there WILL BE some racers out there that won't know what to do on the ice.
    Yea, like me!

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    Look at this way... it'll be one great adventure with a bunch of new friends

Bicycle rider
    I know, I know… I am looking forward to it! Ice or not, it is going to be a great time!

mtbr member
    Ahhhh! I can't wait!

I'm not going to be able to pre-ride today, so I'm pretty much ska-rewed tomorrow.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

Masher
    pre ride is not looking good for me either.

oh well.

mtbr member
    Ah your not ska-rewed...you have 2 laps tomorrow...the first can be your pre-ride...

Bicycle rider
    Eujin and I did the pre-ride. Conditions are cold, wet, muddy, icey and snowy! Pretty much just as you think they are. See you tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is this race spectator-friendly? Im new to the area and was thinking about driving over and watching.

mtbr member
    Hey Starxed...I'm doing the spectator thing too...never been there, but heck we can see the start finish, and then run/ride along the course to see some other areas of the route to get photos and cheer em on...If its like other races, theres not a lot to see unless you get out and venture the course..
    Ed

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    Did a pre-ride early... the conditions were just as ExigeS said. Just got off the phone with a friend that did his ride around 8pm and said it was totally different for him. The trails, the farm roads and fields were all ice. The temps and wind should keep the course that way for at least the first half of the race.

BTW... nice meeting you Eujinc

mtbr member
    Well, at least the cow poop will be frozen .

The course is actually very nice. Quite enjoyable. Looking forward to tomorrow.

269er, good meeting you too. Thanks for the pointers and hope your elbow heals soon.

Sweeper
    Good Luck tomorrow! Cant wait to see pics and hear the stories!

mtbr member
    Don't tell me...your going to work tomorrow??? ahhh your going to miss the boys tearing it up...

Bicycle rider
    Great race today everyone! I enjoyed seeing everyone and hanging out a bit! I will upload pics soon.

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

Good time

Man, what a good time that was today. Couldn't have asked for better conditions with the weather as of late. Very few slippery spots and a heckuva fun course. Can't wait to do it again next year.

mtbr member
    Congrats on winning the Beginner class, Jason. 1st race, 1st win. And you too MisterC for 2nd place finish.

Fantastic!

Had great fun today! Now I'm going to go take a nap. I'm beat.
    Last edited by eujinc; 01-31-2009 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Freaking awesome day!

You 2 guys take the top 2 spots is awesome. eujinc...you were right behind me when we went back into the woods from the field on the first lap...right were Ed was. Shortly after I washed the front out and ran off and you were long gone

I think I finished top 15 somewhere. Mechanicals were killing me today. Popped my chain off 4 times and kept getting chain suck really bad

Not bad I guess, considering I've been riding a month. lol Great, great time!

Nice meeting you too, Ed...sorry I missed the rest of you guys.

Cheers,
    Lee
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Wood it was great meeting you too...it's such a fabulous community, us Mountain Bikers!!! Good job on the race today considering the Mechanicals...come race the Patapsco race end of March, that one should be a blast too, it's our backyard...

mtbr member
    Hey Wood, what were you riding? I wiped out too on the first lap but on the dirt road through the farm. A group passed me as I was picking myself up. Straightest part of the coarse and I crashed - shows you I can't ride well in a straight line.

Hope they post the results soon. I am curious where I ended up in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eujinc
    Hey Wood, what were you riding? I wiped out too on the first lap but on the dirt road through the farm. A group passed me as I was picking myself up. Straightest part of the coarse and I crashed - shows you I can't ride well in a straight line.

Hope they post the results soon. I am curious where I ended up in.

HAHAHA!! Dude I was right behind you when you crashed. When you reached for your water bottle I'm the one that yelled "Don't move!" I had no place to go except right next to your head/hand. Sorry!

I had the bright orange jersey on the XL crappy Hardrock HT.

I believe you passed me with a string of like 6 other guys after I ran off to the left side in the deep stuff.

What a great time!
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    And I appreciate that you did not run over my head. LOL!

Hey, you should try to make it Patapsco sometime. Meet the rest of the guys and ride the trails. Get you familiar for the March race. It's gonna be fun.

Bicycle rider
    I started a SnotCycle pic thread! Enjoy. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=488469

Members who have read this thread: 0