Small Tabletop Jumps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Small Tabletop Jumps

I live in Laurel, Md, and frequent Patapsco and fairland. I have taken years off from medium to large dirt jumping. That being said, I want to get comfortable on small to medium jumps again. I have been to the bmx track at patapsco, but that crap is way too crowded for me- take a run, wait 20 minutes, rinse and repeat. Does anyone know any small on-trail tabletops at patapsco, fairland, rosaryville, schaffer's, etc?

Well-crafted non-tabletop small jumps would probably be fine also- unlike the horrendous jumps at the north side of fairland.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thepusher View Post
    I live in Laurel, Md, and frequent Patapsco and fairland. I have taken years off from medium to large dirt jumping. That being said, I want to get comfortable on small to medium jumps again. I have been to the bmx track at patapsco, but that crap is way too crowded for me- take a run, wait 20 minutes, rinse and repeat. Does anyone know any small on-trail tabletops at patapsco, fairland, rosaryville, schaffer's, etc?

Well-crafted non-tabletop small jumps would probably be fine also- unlike the horrendous jumps at the north side of fairland.
    Unfortunately you're just not going to find true table tops actually on the trails around here. Probably the closest to what you're looking for is the Germantown Bike Park behind the Germantown Soccer Plex. They have small, medium and large jump lines that are all pretty mellow tables. Great place to learn.

mtbr member
    I did not know Germantown bike park existed. Thanks for mentioning that, I think Iím going to end up going there Sunday. Are there also trails at that park, or is it solely a pump track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

What? I love the roller-coaster trail at Fairland with all the jumps, it's the best trail in the park. Anyway, there are a few scattered table-tops @ PTAP, but I would suggest the Germantown pump track also. It's right next to Schaeffer Farms trail system. Do the pump track then go ride the park for a few hours. They have signs at every intersection so you really can't get lost.

mtbr member
    I have been to the bmx track at patapsco, but that crap is way too crowded for me- take a run, wait 20 minutes, rinse and repeat.
    really? In the... however many years it's been there, I think I've seen total maybe 15 people there, and never waited longer than it took to catch my breath to take a lap.
    I guess it must be the times you're there.

there are no small, well-built, on-trail tabletops around here. No medium or large ones either. The fact that someone said they thought the Fairland jumps were well-built is basically the reason why.
    Germantown dirt jumps, who knows if it's going to have the same issues you have at Rockburn re crowds. I've hardly seen anyone there, but...
    There are 2 halfway decent ones on... I'd call it Lewis and Clarke, at p-tap. They are small enough that I get bored after 2-3 times.

Chesapeake BMX might be worth checking out. I have seen that place get crowded.
    Wakefield has some jumps, but they can be weird. 495 isn't secret anymore. I haven't been there in years so don't know the state of it. There are secret spots around, I don't know where, and no one is going to tell you on here.

if you wanted to improve the jumps are Fairland, I'd help (assuming we're talking about the same ones - those plywood ramps?)

mtbr member
    I wasn't saying the small jumps at Fairland were well built. At least there are quite a few in a row though. No not the plywood ramps, the smaller one's on Viper. (Those plywood ramps on the Holly loop are just quick home-made jumps.)
    You are right, there really aren't any good table tops around here. There is a well built small one on the Barley & Hops log trail (entrance off Lewis & Clark) @ PTAP. Other than that...

mtbr member
    I must be unlucky at patapsco, or I keep catching the same group of kids there. The fairland jumps I found are near the 2 wood ramps in a row. I am pretty sure they are on the north side of holly trail, right up against some houses. If your back is turned to the entrance to the wood ramps, you'd see them on your 10 o'clock. They seem like the only way they'd e a good jump is if they were hit while riding up the hill. I'm new to fairland, so I haven't found any others yet. I was eyeing the jumps to see if they could be easily altered, and the area where they are seem a little sketchy. I'll have to check them out again to see if they are worth messing with. I rode the viper loop and can't really remember any jumps on it, although I think that was the trail that had some natural trail area that made for some fun jumps.

mtbr member
    Yea i know which ones you mean now, the ones near the wood ramps. Not those. There is a downhill section of viper that parallels the paved path called the roller coaster or whoops. It has a bunch of smaller jumps on it. There is a "You are here" map at the bottom of it. Give it a try next time you are there.
    I ride PTAP all the time and like Joules i never see anyone at that pump track either so i don't know when you are finding big crowds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballGuy View Post
    Yea i know which ones you mean now, the ones near the wood ramps. Not those. There is a downhill section of viper that parallels the paved path called the roller coaster or whoops. It has a bunch of smaller jumps on it. There is a "You are here" map at the bottom of it. Give it a try next time you are there.
    I ride PTAP all the time and like Joules i never see anyone at that pump track either so i don't know when you are finding big crowds.
    I think i hit those on the viper. There were some fun consecutive jumps that was almost like whoops. My guess is I was getting a couple feet of air on each.

Its weird that people keep saying itís usually empty. It doesnít matter if i go morning or afternoon on Saturday or Sunday itís always been a cluster. What days/times do you all normally see it empty?

mtbr member
    I pulled out of my driveway this morning unsure of whether I was going to go to Germantown or Ptap. Considering I wanted to be back home by noon, I chose Ptap. I got there at 9:15, and for the first time, there was no one on the dirt jumps. I started hitting the taller jumps with the wall ride, and switched between that and the small green track next to the bigger jumps. About a half hour later, a guy showed up on a hardtail 26er. We started talking, and it turns out heís very active at Germantown, but almost never comes to Ptap. I thought it was funny that I didnít go there, and the only guy I met was from there. We talked a lot about Germantown, and Iím going to go there next Sunday morning around 8am. The Ptap jumps are definitely better than they look when walking them. Iíll probably start each ride on the weekends with dirt jumps for the foreseeable future.

Oh yeah, and I took a dive on the wall ride. I kept wallriding and gapping to the back side of the transition, so I wanted to hit the wall earlier. That definitely didnít work, and now Iíve got some scrapes and a sore shoulder to show for it.

mtbr member
    We talked a lot about Germantown, and Iím going to go there next Sunday morning around 8am.
    That's going to put you there in the middle of the Moco Epic. The worst weekend of the year for a first visit unless you're riding the epic and just planning on doing a couple laps on the jumps after.
    There's going to be thousands of riders there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    That's going to put you there in the middle of the Moco Epic. The worst weekend of the year for a first visit unless you're riding the epic and just planning on doing a couple laps on the jumps after.
    There's going to be thousands of riders there.
    Ouch, thanks for the heads up

mtbr member
    Just rode Fairland for the second time, and it was pretty enjoyable. I followed some guy with a gopro on his helmet for a while on the Crow's Foot Trail, and realized my conditioning can improve. I rode all the way to the top of silverwood trail, and it was pretty fun traveling back. I got a couple feet of air on a few natural jumps. One had a berm right after it, so jumping into the berm was a lot of fun. I rode Viper trail again, and caught air a few more times on the skinny trail near the fields. Overall, not too bad for getting in a quick ride.

mtbr member
    Fairland is fun on the weekdays. I really like it. What about the center loop at Rosaryville? As I recall there are 3 in there. Not to mention it's just fun in there.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Fairland is fun on the weekdays. I really like it. What about the center loop at Rosaryville? As I recall there are 3 in there. Not to mention it's just fun in there.
    The last time I was in Rosaryville was in 2009. Actually I canít say that, because I accidentally rode my dirt bike off my Uncleís land into the park trails a couple years ago. I didnít realize it was the park trails until I hit the opening for a parking lot and saw a sign. Oops.

Iím planning on going there this Sunday morning with a riding buddy if itís not raining.

mtbr member
    Have you done the center loop? If not give it a go. Definitely fun.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Have you done the center loop? If not give it a go. Definitely fun.
    Donít remember, so Iíll have to check it out. Is it easy to find?

mtbr member
    Yes it is. you will come to a point going clockwise that forks. Go to the right. I want to say about 4 miles in. It is fun.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6