SingleSpeed gearing for Williamsburg and Richmond?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

SingleSpeed gearing for Williamsburg and Richmond?

Howdy,

I was wondering what gear ratio (or gear inches) you guys and girls are riding on single speed 29er bikes on the Williamsburg and Richmond trails, and wondering how you like the SS setup on these trials vs. geared HTs?

I have a 2011 stumpjumper singlespeed frame en route. I'm thinking 32:20 to start with, maybe 32:18, even? I've been biking regularly for a decade, am fairly strong, 6'1.5" and 200lbs geared up, like to stand for climbs rather then sit and spin, and like to ride fast. I ride Freedom, New Quarter, York and the james river trails (buttermillk, northbank, etc), and have been running a 1x9 setup on my 2010 stumpjumper HT for the past 2 years, fwiw, and will be swapping all parts from that bike over, with a fox f29 fork. Any advice? This will be my first time on a SS since 2nd grade. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was just down in Virginia two weeks ago and rode my singlespeed 29er (Lenz MilkMoney) set at 32x20. You may be fine with 32x18 or 19. After two hours my legs start getting tired after the numerous short climbs so I like the 32x20.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    When I went back in May I had 32x 18 and that seemed to work just fine. I wouldn't have chosen another setting.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try 32x18 this weekend at Freedom, followed by York or the Northbank trail if NQ riding doesn't bruise the ego too much. Should be a fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I havent taken my SS down to freedom or york river yet, but for the JRPS and forest hill I have just kept it at the stock 33x20x29. I'm not in the best of shape, and you could probably push something a bit taller, but that gearing gets me up every hill if I do it right. Still challenging, and I could maybe go down to an 18t and not have to walk anything, but for right now I am fine with that gearing.

All of the actual singletrack seems to be going either up or down on those trails. The only reason I would consider going higher would be for the ride to the trails, and the east end of buttermilk and belle isle.

I don't gear for the flat roads though, I gear for the trails