Sherando Lake Trail Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sherando Lake Trail Ride

Can anyone in the area speak to the current condition of the Mill Creek > Torry Ridge loop? We would be starting from the Turkey Pen/Coal Road Lot.

I would like to do this ride tomorrow if anyone local wants to join.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sherando Lake Trail Ride-sherando.jpg  

Last edited by jncarpenter; 07-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi. I'd love to join. However, can't start till 12pm realistically. Can that work for you?

mtbr member
    Are you familiar with these trails?
    I think that time frame should be fine...just need to watch the forecast and beat any afternoons thunderstorms.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just from the map. General conversation. Live in roanoke. Working in waynesboro Wed. Give me a call. 5402047358 details from blackberry are sllloooow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnrelmtl View Post
    Just from the map. General conversation. Live in roanoke. Working in waynesboro Wed. Give me a call. 5402047358 details from blackberry are sllloooow
    OK, I'm looking for someone who knows the trails, since it has been a long time since my last visit there.

We're heading out to ride Carvin's now...I'll check back later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm sure the trails are fine, they can take a lot of rain and still be dry. Make sure you are going DOWN torrey ridge not up it. Even the downhill will work you.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    OK, I'm looking for someone who knows the trails, since it has been a long time since my last visit there.

We're heading out to ride Carvin's now...I'll check back later.
    I did it a couple months ago. IF there were an issue, I would have heard about it and our local club would have organized a workday to take care of it. Enjoy. If you run into an issue, shout.

That first creek crossing going up Mill Creek can be confusing. Some people seem to not try to cross the creek. You'll have a short downhill and the creek will appear be on your right....cross it. You'll cross it several more times too but they're straight forward.

If you can't clean the switchback section to the top....you simply can't hang....
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    I was mostly looking to hear whether there were alot of trees down...overgrown sections, etc.

banned
    I was mostly looking to hear whether there were alot of trees down...overgrown sections, etc.
    Was there 2 weeks ago and trails were in good shape. Torry had just been completely cut back.

mtbr member
    That's great!! So Torry is clear all the way down to the furnace on 664?

Unfortunately, it looks like I am going to have to push this back until the weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not in the area anymore, but the last time I rode out at Sherando was mid April. I rode Mill Creek once this spring from Coal Rd. up to the first creek crossing, then back. This section once past the doubletrack grows in the most and the quickest each year. It may be a bit tight, but once you get past the the first creek, the trail corridor opens up some. Have fun going up those switchbacks!!! Hope your biking shoes are comfortable for hike-a-biking. I've heard of people clearing all the switchbacks, but have never seen it. I've made it to the 3rd or 4th, then resort to hoofing it. Not a whole lot of fun, so when I do ride Mill Creek, I ride it as a downhill run. The top 1/8 mile can get really loose (shale rocks), that's why I don't see how anybody can ride up all the way to the campground.

Torrey Ridge should be good. Remember to take a moment and enjoy the view off towards the east? It's quite amazing. It sounds like you're planning on riding Torrey all the way down to the furnace. I'd recommend hanging a right at the intersection with Upper Slacks. Take this down to Lower Slacks, then White Rock Gap to Sherando Lake State Park. Take a breather by the lake, then ride the road back to the car. This route flows much better IMO. Upper and Lower Slacks are sweet bench cut singletracks with some techy rock gardens, nasty rocky steep downhills, and smooth gravely soil sections. White Rock Gap is less technical, but flows very nice, and you can get some good speed going in some areas. It also has some killer scenery with the creek flowing and dropping in elevation on your right hand side all the way down. Torrey Ridge after the intersection with Slacks is a babyhead rock field. It's cool, but after a while it gets old. To me it's more of a hiking trail.

Let us know how your ride goes.

mtbr member
    I have ridden Slacks & White Rock a bunch, but have never tried Torry all the way down. I am trying to avoid the long road ride back to the car on Coal Rd. and have had a few friends recommend the DH on Torry. Is Torry mostly a descent, or is there some climbing along the ridge?

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Torry = awesome

yes its "down hill", its just that there is 1200 ft of climbing on the down hill. Slacks flows so well, but Torry is just so fun. Always works you - basically 90% baby heads until you get to the actual down hill at the very end, then its a bit smoother, but still got a few rocks. trail drains super well after rain (not much dirt). Bring extra tubes. Torry likes to claim tubes, sidewalls, and derailers.

FYI - once you drop into Torry, you'll hit the intersection of slacks, stay LEFT if you want to take torry all the way down. On torry, you'll hit blue #1 and blue #2 - don't take those since they drop you straight down to the lake. Stay straight. You will get to an intersection a little way past Blue #2. Stay RIGHT. This will take you down to the furnace. Then you've got an easy 5 min spin back to coal rd lot (go LEFT on the road) instead of climbing back out the park (as is the case of you take slacks down) .

In case you want another option, Kennedy is a pretty cool climb to get up on the ridge. Its a bit of a pedal down the gravel road to get to it, and is granny the whole way up, but its a pretty cool trail. Basically, the mill creek is very mellow then, sort of steep for 4 switchbacks, then a super steep punch for the last 3. Kennedy is basically consistently steep the entire way up, varies bet chunky doubletrack and singletrack.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Thanks...some great input in this thread!

When you say "1200 ft of climbing on the down hill", do you mean actual climbing, or were you saying that the downhill is so punishing it feels like you are climbing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    up up up - from the top to bottom (the road) there is literally 1200 ft of climbing on the DH Yes, its chunky, and yes, you'll feel all of it, but its worth it. one of my favorite trails around here.
    FYI: #1 - Big Schloss, #2 - Gnarly North fork, #3 - the XXC course at Massautten

mtbr member
    OK, so the group I ended up riding with wanted to do the standard Sherando Loop (we're saving Torry for a more advanced group ride....locals, feel free to volunteer to lead! ).

On another note, we ran into a group volunteering their time on the trails Sunday (thanks so much for your work!)...however, they have made the biggest mess of Lower Slacks and White Rock for Mt Bikers. Someone please explain to me how the "stegosaurus" approach (I WISH I had taken some pics) to water bars is in ANY way MTB friendly? Also, some of the other water bars were so rediculously ramped up that they would easily swallow a MTB tire at speed

Does anyone have the 411 on this one? As much as I hate to discourage anyone from giving their free time to do trail work/maintenance....imho, it has made those trails FAR more dangerous to riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where on Slacks are the water bars being added? Last time I rode it was mid April, and no trail work had been done it so far this year.

Only two sections had water bars that I recall. First was where the severely eroded 'gully' is immediately after Slacks merges with White Rock (when heading downhill). The bars were rideable in both directions a somewhat mainline grove for biking was worn in on the south bank where you could ride higher and avoid a few of the bars. The second was in the last section of White Rock just before it dumps out into the parking lot along the parkway. These too were rideable.

I know sections of both White Rock and Slacks were eroding more and needed some type of preventative measure. The steep downhill chute on Slacks just uphill of the intersection with White Rock was getting worse and worse every year, and even after every major rainstorm. Also the setion on White Rock were water bars already are, was getting worse and more were needed. In fact I recall seeing at least (2) water bar timbers lying off to the side of the trail back in April, so it must have been just a matter of time before they were installled.

What do you mean the water bars are ramped up?

mtbr member
    The waterbars are all over lower slacks & upper white rock.
    They are rediculous & certainly not built with cyclists in mind....very sad.
    I wish I had taken pictures of them, as they actually placed sharp rocks pointing outward at the crest of the bars...resembling the back of a stegosaurus!

banned
    The waterbars are all over lower slacks & upper white rock.
    They are rediculous & certainly not built with cyclists in mind....very sad.
    I wish I had taken pictures of them, as they actually placed sharp rocks pointing outward at the crest of the bars...resembling the back of a stegosaurus!

Those have been there for at least 15 years, I actually love that trail the way it is. Nothing like ripping it at 25mph and jumping those. At full speed they actiully launch you right where you need to be. You need to ride it some more to find the line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Those have been there for at least 15 years, I actually love that trail the way it is. Nothing like ripping it at 25mph and jumping those. At full speed they actiully launch you right where you need to be. You need to ride it some more to find the line.
    No...I have been riding these sections for years, what I am referring to is new. We actually ran into the volunteers while they were working on the trails

Why don't you go ride it so you know what you're talking about?

banned
    No...I have been riding these sections for years, what I am referring to is new. We actually ran into the volunteers while they were working on the trails

Why don't you go ride it so you know what you're talking about?
    I will, but thanks for being a real ******.

And since you have been riding there for years why do you need to know how to ride Torrey?

mtbr member
    I will, but thanks for being a real ******.

And since you have been riding there for years why do you need to know how to ride Torrey?
    Maybe you should re-read your post before you go getting all butt hurt. You know the old saying about folks living in glass houses?

I was inquiring about Torry Ridge Trail because I have always turned onto Upper Slacks, and had never ridden Torry all the way down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

woohoo!

Whew! Let's just do a Rodney King, toke it and just get along.

Just moved to VA. Been on trails since 1990 on a Tomac Raliegh (remember that glued together oddball frame??). Now I travel the length of I-81 for work toting a hardtail a 5" dually and a 7"DH bike. Lookin for a chance to tear it up!!!

I'll look up the Lizard next time I'm in the area and we'll just go have a blast

mtbr member
    I just rode there recently and I disagree SL. These are new waterbars, both the spikey rock water bars and the ramped up ruts that a 29" tire gets swallowed up in at speed: they are NOT rider friendly. 25mph through there now, and you are asking for a traumatic brain injury, even with a helmet. I rode with three other riders, two expert and one advanced, and all of them commented on the dangers these waterbars pose for mt. bikers. These two trails are virtually ruined from their former days of glory. One of my riding companions was so vehement about it they purposefully contacted the trail maintenance crew.

banned
    Maybe you should re-read your post before you go getting all butt hurt. You know the old saying about folks living in glass houses?

I was inquiring about Torry Ridge Trail because I have always turned onto Upper Slacks, and had never ridden Torry all the way down.
    Hey, dont get all retarded because you started it, I finish things ,not start.

mtbr member

Hey, dont get all retarded because you started it, I finish things ,not start.
    I think you are a little DIZZY there spinny liz. YOUUUU attacked first by implying the original poster did not know what he was talking about, AND that he didn't know how to ride a mt. bike well enough to pick a line! So. YOU STARTED this animosity, despite your claims of innocence. PLUS, you were WRONG. Just quiet down dude, and in the process, show a little CLASS by keeping the intellectually disabled out of it... ("retarded'? did you REALLY say that? REALLY? seriously?), Kharma WILL bite you in the butt (hurt). BTW...it is T-O-R-R-Y..but you would know this since you AREN'T intellectually disabled AND you ride there all the time, right? Whatever. WHATEVER DUDE. WOW. Believe your own delusions and move on. (JERK!)

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Those rock water bars are poo, no doubt. I don't agree with some of the reroutes lower down on White Rock, either. The only recent trail workers I've seen have been older guys working with a hiking group. CAMBC did some work over there in October, but I think they were working on Mill Creek. I haven't been since late summer, so I'm not sure if they did anything to improve the stuff on Slacks/White Rock.

I wouldn't say it's ruined the DH, but for the time being, you definitely need to keep it in check. However, a couple big storms will have those rocks backfilled, and they'll be even more fun than the old logs.

wi1trackrider, you're not in the area anymore?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Yea I am wondering about some of this stimulus money trail work. Seems like expediency to spend money was the main thought. Any one have any pictures of the rock water bars? I am curious now.

On one of my favorite trails they installed 6-8 pine log water bars. Not too bad now that they have "weathered' in, but when first installed it was a shock to round a curve and ram into a 14 inch log. They did this kind of work but totally ignored a 1/8 mile section of trail almost too steep to walk on. I can't imagine the log water bars lasting very long. I thought water bars were out in favor of rolling dips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
    I'm sure the trails are fine, they can take a lot of rain and still be dry. Make sure you are going DOWN torrey ridge not up it. Even the downhill will work you.
    Hey i know this is an old thread but you said that the trails can take a good amount of rain and still be good to ride (Torry and Slacks). I was wondering if you think the recent freeze thaw cycle would effect the trails, in VA its been very cold (like the rest of the country) for the past 3 weeks and it finally got to the 50-60s this week so everything is muddy even though it didnt rain. I rode trails in northern va this week and they were destroyed by riders bc of the mud everywhere.

I wanted to get your opinion, thanks!