sherando/big levels detail questions?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

sherando/big levels detail questions?

1. for new mtn. bike riders - I plan to lead a group from the first coal road parking lot up Coal road and to the left to the reservoir. turn around then back down to intersect with a short trail to hit Mill Creek trail - then down to the lot. safe 2 hour ride for beginners?

2. what is the difference between turkey pen ridge trail and mill creek trail? national geographic maps has one but not the other?

3. If mill creek trail is what I think it is. Here's a description: from Sherando, VA go toward the lake park. turn right before the convenience store on Coal Road. .5 mile later park in the area on the left - go around the fence. (where is the right side trail head for the cut through(s) to the reservoir?) there should be two? The trail obviously bears right up a gradual long hill - at the top you go through a canopy of low trees (have you missed the first cut through to the reservior by this time? the second cut-through?) - then a short descent to what I'm assuming is mill creek and a blue blazed trail across the creek (there also seems to a camping spot here) this is long trail which climbs gradually and leads to a short rocky spot, then more creek crossing (blue blazes on the trees.) Is this the continuation of mill creek trail or the second cut-through to the reservoir? if the later, the map here: http://www.leys.com/sherando_map.pdf seems wrong. We kept riding expecting to reach the reservoir and after an hour turned back. Is the blue blazed trail - Mill Creek?

thanks for any help from the experienced big levels riders out there.

mtbr member
    1. yeah, that should be a decent ride for 'ginners. there's nothing very technical. i don't know that it would take 2 hours but maybe. i'm not sure what kind of shape those trails are in as far as blowdowns & what not.

2. i don't know the answer to that one. mud'n'sweat probably does though.

3. the trail you rode is the continuation of the Mill Creek trail and not a connector to the reservoir. the map shows an upper connector to the res but i'm not sure where that is. there's no real trailhead for the first connector as the trail starts on the edge of a wildlife clearing on the right and it's not terribly obvious. if you're not familiar with the area, it's much easier to pick up this trail from the fire road that runs up to the res. yes, the Mill Creek tr. is marked with blue blazes and climbs up to the switchbacks and eventually to the parkway, the jeep trail, bald mtn., etc. the map you posted is correct.

i hope that helps!
    will there be beer?

Sep 2007

thanks for the quick response!

I appreciate it.

Members who have read this thread: 0