The "Shed" today 10-27-08- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The "Shed" today 10-27-08

WOW...what a great day for such a great ride!!! There were 2 very large groups going out at about the same time...one group had some familiar Trek VW faces...ie Chris Eatough...I went out with the other group...MORE...didn't think I could keep pace with the Trek guys...
    Our group had an awesome leader who took us on some familar trails just in the opposite direction on alot of them, which turned out to be a much better flow than the other routes I have been on...thanks Denis...it was a great group, 13 of us....here are a couple pics...

song of the saw-whet owl
    yeah man, great ride! i was gonna do joeywv's shingletree shuffle, but couldn't make it out there this weekend, so im glad i was still able to get my ass kicked on a ride this weekend. ending a tough 22 miler with a 600' climb while starting to bonk was a little rough for me. I love the nicknames for all the "trails" too, especially "little canaan"
    If you like rocks, the Frederick Watershed has the goods tho and thats for damn sure!

takin' a break at the thurmont overlook

while someone was fixing a chain, we mustve tried at least 10 times to make it up this spot on salamander! no one could make it past the big tree on the right without spinnin' out!
    just another piece of chaga

Apr 2005
    That entire area is just brutal. I am not the best rider so 75% of those rock gardens I am walking up then picking my way down the rest slowly. Looks like you had a good ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Was up in the Shed (Salamander) yesterday as well with two of my riding buddies. Hit up this new trail that a group of NoVA/Md MORE guys called "2 miles of hell"....holy crap they weren't kidding!!! I love rocks and generally ride quite well up there, but that trail kick my arse!!! I've never had so much trouble and walked so much. I now need to go back and find all the ninja lines next weekend.

mtbr member
    AHHH Hulk you must have been on Iceburg...looks like a moon scape of sheer rock, nothing but rock...rock everywhere, oh....my....god....ROCKS!!!!!! Yikes...

BUT....

Ya gotta love em' Man!

Ed

mtbr member
    Great pics, Ed. Looks like you guys had a great time. Those rocks are something else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    AHHH Hulk you must have been on Iceburg...looks like a moon scape of sheer rock, nothing but rock...rock everywhere, oh....my....god....ROCKS!!!!!! Yikes...

BUT....

Ya gotta love em' Man!

Ed
    So that's what that trail is called, eh? Someone has taken some serious joy in having a masochistic approach a trail building, but I love it!!! Seriously, whoever did all the rock work on that section along what looks like a rock quarry's nightmare, where your basically working along the very edge of the ridge with trees on one side and huge boulders down below on the other......big props to them. That whole trail is a humbling experience and yet I cannot wait to go hit it again!!!

mtbr member
    Going to hit the shed again tomorrow...Meeting Jason at the Park & Ride hwy 70 at 32, then meeting up with Nate between 9:30 and 10am...anyone else come join us, happy to have ya....

Ed

another bozo on the bus
    Sorry guys. Im not going to be able to make it out tomorrow. Enjoy your ride. Hope to see you guys thursday night.

mtbr member
    AHHH thats to bad going to miss ya Nate...but hey I'm definenetly going to try that Thursday night thing...

Ed

mtbr member
    What a day of riding today...to start out it was FRIGGIN cold, we got out of the car at the start of the Water shed and started seeing an occassional flurry...OMG...SNOW...wow our first ride of the winter with snow falling...oh I know it shouldn't qualify, it was only flurries but hey it was the "whitestuff"...of course we warmed up fast...today it was just Jason and myself and we had a pretty god time...this was my first ride where I had to lead...missed a few turns and did more fire/rock roads than we both cared to do but we didn't get lost and I'm sure Jason made it home in time...Sure wish I had my 29er for the "rolling" aspect, but loved the "cushy" FS of the Rush...din't leave without riding "Super Sweet" and ended up "racking" myself on the first BIG rock drop, the ass end slipped out to the left when I wanted to keep my line straight and to the right...oh well after a little recovery time on our way again, this is a section where I certainly enjoy the 29er more...it has a way of allowing forgivness...

Here are some pictures:

Not bad for a Blackberry phone camera!!

Ed

song of the saw-whet owl
    nice! some fine lookin' lefty's in action too no riding here in canaan, its like 25degrees, windy and about 5" on the ground so far... tommorrow night will be the big blast and could be 24" by wed morning
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member
    Then ya need to come on down to the dryer weather and hit the trails...TWENTY FOUR INCHES WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU AT, THE VERY TIPPY TOP OF A MOUNTAIN?

man feelin tired now though...betcha i;ll feel it tomorrow...we hammered a ton of climbs, whew...Jason is getting strong on the climbs....he should do fine next year tryin some races...

Bicycle rider
    Nice pics Ed. When I took the pic of you riding the edge (first one above) I thought you might ride right off the mountain. Glad you kept your line! And yes, it was cold!
    Last edited by ExigeS; 11-17-2008 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Brrrr. Looks cold. Nice pics, though. That reminds me, I have to go get myself a pair of booties and warm gloves soon.

mtbr member
    Jason had a great set of booties from Performance and I think it was their brand...the gloves I used yesterday were puuuurrrrfect...goreteck and insulated, very warm...we were toasty from head to toes with all the proper insulation and layering...
    Ed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What trail is that on? And is that part of the trail?
    2009 Trek 6700D

mtbr member
    Steveo thats up by the outlook...north west corner of the watershed loop, by the hikers only area...

Ed

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    OLDNOOB in response to what you said bout fixing a chain and the pic

I can make it up that section on my single speed (which is the only bike i have) and im only 14. i live round there so 95% of my riding is in the shed and in gambrill.

Members who have read this thread: 0