Seneca trail question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Seneca trail question

Looks like there is a very long trail running across Fork Mountain in the Seneca Rocks unit. Listed as 501 on the Mon Nat For map. Anyone ridden this ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    From what I can gather, 501 is the North Fork Mountain trail.
    Outside magazine lists it as the best hiking trail in WV, but I'm not sure if any of it is suitable for mountain biking. The pics show big rock outcroppings along the ridge.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Its been several years, but I've ridden that trail before. It a huge ride. We usually rode from south to north, about 28 miles point to point. Its a timely shuttle to set, but worth it. I seem to recall that the trail crosses a few hundred feet of private property in the middle (near the tower, north of the hang gliding ramp) and that has caused some cycling acess issues. Unsure of current status. If its open, I would highly recommend it. Its a big ride. Lots of rattlers in the rocky outcroppings though, so be careful if you get off of the bike.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Its been several years, but I've ridden that trail before. It a huge ride. We usually rode from south to north, about 28 miles point to point. Its a timely shuttle to set, but worth it.
    Great info, as usual. You and ODN should be on the WV tourism payroll.
    Wondering about the elevation change and trail condition as far as possibly pulling a bob . I'll be traveling solo, so a shuttle is out unless someone provides that sevice nearby. My jaw dropped when I saw the length of this thing on the map. Nice little 56 mile out and back. What's the water situation up there. I have a purifyer but it looks pretty doggone dry up there.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Absolutely no water to be found along the trail, so you'll need to take enough with you. A BOB trailer along there could be sketchy in some of the exposed sort of cliff-side areas.

I think that trail covers the better part of four USGS quad topo maps. Yes, four. However, if access is an issue, and since you're solo without shuttle assistance, you might consider doing either the nothern or southern halves. Just a thought. I think I may have some pics of that trail at home somewhere. I'll try to find them tonight.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

What about East Fork ?

Gracias. It appears that one could park at Judy Gap, ride up to the southern trailhead on 33, ride halfway on North Fork Mountain, drop down on Powdermill Run, then back to JG on 28/33, if you wanted to make a loop out of it. I like the idea of doing the southern half since it's close the Spruce Knob trails. Also noticed trail 365, East Fork which runs from Island Campground to the Pig's Ear where it intersects with 254. If you take a right it intersects with 112 which ODN took up to Spruce Knob.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

East Fork

I briefly checked out the beginning of this trail from the Island Campground.
    It looked nice, but in dire need of some blowdown cleanup. The campgound was really nice, free and empty on a Friday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Awesome ride, highly recommend it! Have only done it as a loop though and it's a loooong day, but worth it. Last year we camped at Big Bend Campground, hit the pavement early at dawnish and finished with just a bit of daylight left. Smokehole is nice in the morning light, spend all day up on the ridge, then slum spin some pavement back to camp.

Pics here: Gnarly North Fork pics

Don't think it would be much fun at all to drag a BOB across the ridge, we did a day before water stash up on the mtn at about the halfway point. If interested in a shuttle, check with Chris at SMT, he can probably hook you up with something.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tomimcmillar
    Awesome ride, highly recommend it! Have only done it as a loop though and it's a loooong day, but worth it. Last year we camped at Big Bend Campground, hit the pavement early at dawnish and finished with just a bit of daylight left. Smokehole is nice in the morning light, spend all day up on the ridge, then slum spin some pavement back to camp.
    Now that's what I call an epic ride !!!
    Great pics.
    Looks like you also started at the south end and rode north.
    Did you have any problems crossing private land ?
    If so, where ?
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 09-10-2007 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
    Now that's what I call an epic ride !!!
    Great pics.
    Looks like you also started at the south end and rode north.
    Did you have any problems crossing private land ?
    If so, where ?
    No problems with private land, didn't see any signage....but wasn't looking for any either....

South to North seems the way to go, singeltrack descent for the finish.

Members who have read this thread: 0