RR: Fair Hills- Mtbr.com

Thread: RR: Fair Hills

Yappy little dog!

RR: Fair Hills

Woke up to a crystal blue sky! Temps were freezing but that would change by the end of the ride. Roger was joining me on the ride today and we picked Fair Hills, NRMA in Maryland. We both needed some extra long singletrack with whatever climbing we could find. I loaded up the new Thule T2 with the singlespeed and picked up Roger for the long ride to MD. Just a quick plus for the T2. It is the most amazing bike rack I have ever owned and it doesn't scratch the bike.

Seems like a pretty good crowd at the parking lot, but we head out on our own. I try to remember the trails, but since I am normally not the leader I never really paid attention. I do get us on the first section of single track which is still frozen.

Of course I forget a turn and we are now doing what I think is the normal route in reverse. Oh well, it's now normal to me. The 29er is really kicking ass on the trail today. Log pile? What log pile?

I gave the camera to Roger for the above pics. I never get in photos. Now I just need to teach him zoom.

We just keep following the singletrack from here. I mean why not?

Now it's not looking familiar to me. Where's the switchbacks? Finally with the field in view I can get my bearings based upon the annual Poker Run.

So it's all downhill to the stream. Which leaves me in the middle of Drunken Sailer and I don't know what.

I know what the trails look like, but can never tell which one is which by name. So we take a left turn and do a great piece of singletrack in the reverse direction I most often go.

This leaves us climbing again to take a right turn onto Drunken sailer, a root filled, low ceiling, tight twisty piece of fun.

Things are starting to get very mushy as the sun warms up the ground. It's becoming hard to get up the hills because the torue from the 34/17 is just spinning the wheel in the mud. Add this to the fact that I missed an entire section of the park due to wrong turns and it's time to head out. Too damaging to continue and too far to get to the other side, so we head up some steep single track to the fireroad and back to the lot. One last pick from the top of the climb to show the beautiful day it was.

We finish things off at Iron Hill Brewery with some great food. Sorry no beer report. I don't drink at all and he chose not to as well. But I will say from when I used to drink beer, that Iron Hill has some great creations.

GPS Stuff:

mtbr member
    Great pics! I haven't been there since last summer. Good to see some pics of that place. Makes me want to return.

Thanks
    When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Helter Skelter

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    this brings back memories....20 years ago fair hill used to be me and my buddy's private park. we would just sneak through a hole in the fence and ride all day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice pics, My wife and I rode Fair Hill for the first time on Saturday. I just bought a Salsa Dos Niner and wanted a good place to try out the 29 inch wheels. We stayed on all the major trails and had a good time. It loooks like a lot of good single track once you learn your way around. It was nice that the trails were marked so well. The only thing that surprised me is that there was nobody there. We had the place to ourselves. We saw one other couple mountain biking all day. We were a little concerned that it would be crowded with horse back riders but only saw 1 group of them in a field.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    Nice pics, My wife and I rode Fair Hill for the first time on Saturday. I just bought a Salsa Dos Niner and wanted a good place to try out the 29 inch wheels. We stayed on all the major trails and had a good time. It loooks like a lot of good single track once you learn your way around. It was nice that the trails were marked so well. The only thing that surprised me is that there was nobody there. We had the place to ourselves. We saw one other couple mountain biking all day. We were a little concerned that it would be crowded with horse back riders but only saw 1 group of them in a field.
    Glad you enjoyed it. It's really a great resource close to a huge metropolitan area.

Sunday's are usually the more popular day. Also keep in mind that the place is huge. There are three different parking lots that riders start from and nearly 40 miles of trails. Additionally, there is another popular riding area just ten minutes from Fair Hills in Delaware (Middle Run / White Clay) which also sees a fair amount of riders.

Feb 2005
    I"m thinkin bout headin up there for teh first time on Fri. Anyone interested????

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by simmech
    I"m thinkin bout headin up there for teh first time on Fri. Anyone interested????
    Love to show you around but I'll be in DC for the next 10 days .

I am off the following Friday if anyone is interested.

Feb 2005
    I'm off on Fri's and Sat's, but Fri's are my only "free" days. Wife's at work and kids are in school. So, as long as I have no "honey do's" I'm free. I've been lookin to get more into riding around here, noew that I do have some time. Let me know.

Thx!!!

Feb 2005
    I made it up there 2 Fri's ago. What a prettty are. Found a couple nice trails, only stayed for abou 3 hrs. Got 10 mi in though. I'm going to try and head back up there this Fri morn. I have family comin in for the weekend, so I'll see what happens.

Members who have read this thread: 0