Rocky Mt/Roanoke- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rocky Mt/Roanoke

I'm headed to Rocky Mt for a few days and was looking for suggestions on rides. I have done some research on both Carvin's Cove and Explore Park. They would both be about 40 mins from where I'm staying.

Anything closer to Rocky Mt that is worthwhile? If not, which of these two places would be better for technical singletrack?

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Explore park is going to be a bit closer to Rocky Mount than Carvins. But if you have the time, Carvins is a far bigger trail system with alot more options to keep you busy for a day or two. Explore is a nice place to ride, but you can ride everything there in an afternoon.

I'm sure others will post up some loop suggestions if you list a specific amount of time your looking to ride.
    If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

mtbr member
    A couple of options - Mill Mountain has about 6-7 miles of trail that you could make some loops out of.

Waid Recreation Park in Rocky Mount is decent. They used to host a race there until they flubbed it up royally .

Neither are as good as Carvins Cove.

And Explore Park would be a viable option, you'd drive right by Mill Mountain to get to it.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    All of Explorer park will take you about 2 hours (if you are as slow as I am). Mill Mountain, an hour and a half to do most of it. Carvin's Cove would be a several hour ride to do all of it, and I couldn't do it all in a day.

If you are only going to be up here for a day, do Carvin's Cove. If you have a couple days to play with, you can do Explorer Park and maybe Mill Mountain in the same day, then Carvin's Cove over a couple days.

It all depends on your fitness and technical ability. Carvin's Cove will be more challenging (on the upper trails anyways) than either Explorer Park or Mill Mountain.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions all...from a technical/fitness standpoint, I feel pretty comfortable with most anything. With that said, I am in the area for other reasons and will only have an afternoon to ride (approx 3 hours of actual riding).

Google maps shows the difference in time from where I am staying to Explore vs. Carvins as 5 mins. Since the unanimous vote seems to be that Carvin's has more and better riding, I think that is where I will head.

Thanks again...appreciate the input. I always like getting in a ride somewhere new, but it's tough when you know nothing about the options in an area.

mtbr member
    If you get in town soon enough you need to have a parking permit which you can get at Just the Right Gear Bike shop on the way...

If they are closed then my best suggestion is to park facing the woods among other cars if possible... The worst you could get is a note saying, please buy a permit next time.

You will enjoy the Cove, there are many trails to ride. Here's the best map <--which I just noticed has "Four Gorge Extension" on it.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    I rode Carvin's Cove last Saturday, and really enjoyed it and I've been meaning to post a brief TR and again thank those who made suggestions.

The most memorable thing to me was just how different the riding is from my home turf. Where I ride (predominantly), the whole trail system is on a ridge, and there really is not a lot in the way of sustained climbing or descending. And most trails are a fairly constant grind against rocks and roots.

What I (quickly) learned is that sustained climbs are the norm at Carvin's. Right out of the gate, hi dee ho and brushy mt got the blood pumping, to say the least. As I was getting to the top of brushy mt and got passed by a second group of guys on hardtails wearing lycra, I decided maybe my 5" trail bike was not the right tool for the job. Then I reaped the rewards of my climb on jacob's, kerncliff and comet and was happy to have my FS. Goofed off for a little while on enchanted forest and arrowhead and then headed back to the car.

Also, the guys at Just The Right Gear were great and were happy to suggest some routes for me. Plus they're a Pivot dealer...

All in all, had a good time, talked to some interesting folks and got to ride a new place.

My spelling is atroshus
    Glad you made it up hi dee ho. I nearly ran out of oxygen the last time I tried to climb that trail. I also knocked myself silly descending the same trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First post.

That sounds just like me. We had already done about 22 miles that day and parked at the bottom of trough. Two guys stayed at the main parking lot with some minor injuries and wanted us to pick them up. Climbed Hi-de-hoe and thought I was gonna die at the top. Just rolling down the gravel road at the top and got kinda disoriented and wrecked about 30mph going down a hill. Tacoed my new bike.

We then proceded to bust the back window out of my friends car putting the bikes back on.

Did you ride songbird?

Members who have read this thread: 0