Rockstar Trail - Who's done it?- Mtbr.com
    Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011

Rockstar Trail - Who's done it?

I was on MTBProject yesterday looking at trails in/around Botetourt Co., VA. I came across the Rockstar Trail route.

Has anyone done the whole thing in one trip?

North to south or the other direction?

How long did it take?

Camp or lodging along the way?

What bike did you ride?

Would you do it again?

This trail sounds an amazing challenge!
    Tidewater, VA is home - Eagle Rock, VA is base camp.

IG: @monstermikeoutdoors

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Trail route is very much a challenge never done it in one swoop just portions. Check the Virginia Endurance Series facebook page for most of the details and all the gpx route files. I almost guarntee it is harder and longer than what it seems on paper very slow going in sections.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I think something like 15 people completed the course this year in the "official" race. I met a guy who did it SS this year. A couple of buddies of mine who are very strong, tried it last year and were "defeated". I have ridden several sections of it. The intended direction is north to south. The stated intent was to hit the best trail sections between Harrisonburg and Roanoke, but in the interest of not doubling back etc, I feel like they did at least a couple sections "backwards" from the better way to ride those trail segments (most notably Lookout mountain).

mtbr member
    I'm planning on doing it, my brother wants to join me. I have a ton of questions but cruising the google is answering some of them but here's a few off the top of my head:
    How many days to complete? I'm guessing 5-7.
    Will a rigid fatty handle it? I don't feel like the gymnastics to load up a full squish bike.
    Are there places to resupply or do I need to figure out how to bring 15-21 meals with me?
    Hammock or tent?
    I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's a good start for now

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by carthief View Post
    I'm planning on doing it, my brother wants to join me. I have a ton of questions but cruising the google is answering some of them but here's a few off the top of my head:
    How many days to complete? I'm guessing 5-7.
    Will a rigid fatty handle it? I don't feel like the gymnastics to load up a full squish bike.
    Are there places to resupply or do I need to figure out how to bring 15-21 meals with me?
    Hammock or tent?
    I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's a good start for now
    I have never done the northern part above Rt 39 and Douthat, but I am quite familiar with Southern section. I actually live a mile off of the route.

5 -7 days probably about right some have done it in 2-3 days, but they did not sleep much. They were the racers. Most do it as an endurance ride and just want to get through.

Rigid - You can do it but it will be painful. North Mountain and Price Mountain are particularly painful in steepness and rocky-ness.

Almost no access to stores except in Covington. Motels in Covington. Most riders have some sort of support group or wife/ husband re-suppling them.

Tough ride - I want to do the northern section - about 25 miles at a time.

mtbr member
    I'm now looking at doing the transva northbound to Harrisonburg. Problem being I have a fatbike. Might be the way to go though with eagle gearing and a loaded bike.

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    I did 70 miles on the Rockstar route over two days, starting in Stokesville and ending in Hot Springs. It was tough, with a lot of up and down, downed trees, and “barely there” segments of trail. Beautiful scenery, but I’d suggest a conservative pace if you’re in touring, not racing, mode, and knowing where to resupply.