mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rockhopper vs ??????

I am looking to upgrade from my hardtail Mongoose, to something in a hardtail but from a more mainstream company. I rode a friend's Specialized Rockhopper and really liked it. I especially love the look of the new 08 Rockhopper in silver. Only problem is, non of the LBS around me sell Specialized bikes. The closet to me is a sporting goods chainstore, and then a LBS on the other side of the city about 20 miles away. I would like to buy from a shop closer to home. Anyway, my question is, are there any other companies bike that you think compare to the Rockhopper. Some options might be Gary Fisher, Trek, or Rocky Mountain to name a few, but unsure of specific models to look into. Any thoughts? All are welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just realized that I put that in the regional section instead of one of the larger sections, but I guess that's OK cause you folks probably know the type of riding we do (or I try to do) around here. BTW, I am really trying to stay under $1K. Way under if I can help it, but want to get decent parts this time rather than an upgrade bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I know when I bought my Rockhopper a few years back there was a comparable Cannondale that was probably the closest match I found in terms of overall ride. Only major difference was the headshock on the Cannondale and a slight price increase.

I know the comparable Trek's and GF's I saw see,ed to have a slightly longer top tube, which made for more of a leaning stance. I preffered the Rockhopper's upright stance and that I could toss it around a little more on tech stuff.

Of course, in 3 years they may have all remodeled their bikes completely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I should probably have mentioned that i am actually lookingat the Rockhopper Comp Disc, which is toward the higher end of the line. That silver one looks really sweet, but I'm not sure if its painted silver or just buffed aluminum.

I was also looking at the Cannondale F3 (I think that is the one). Pretty sweet, but I keep going back to that silver Rockhopper. Maybe I am just a sucker for a pretty face. heheheheh

mtbr member
    Kev, here is my straight forward rule of thumb. Set the budget and get the lightest bike possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9911
    Kev, here is my straight forward rule of thumb. Set the budget and get the lightest bike possible.
    Sounds like words to live by.

mtbr member
    Kev,
    If you are interested, I may be able to put together a cross-country racing bike from all the parts in my basement. I tend to go overboard with high end components for my bikes and I have enough parts to build 2 very high end mtb. PM me if you are interested, and let me know how tall and heavy you are. I promise you'll have enough money left over to buy another bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sounds interesting. I'm 6' tall and currently a little to far over weight at 210. Heading out to go camping this weekend, but I'll hit you up next week. Still looking for a ride sometime next week at Rockburn too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i have a 07 rockhopper disc and love it the closest other bike i was looking at was the cannondale f series but only the cannondale f4 came with lock out suspension and disc but was 300 more so i chose the rockhopper and love it and deffinetly set your budget and then upgrade to the nicest frame possible and upgrade as you progress

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos
    Pretty sweet, but I keep going back to that silver Rockhopper. Maybe I am just a sucker for a pretty face. heheheheh
    I say, if you want it, get it. It's apparent you like the bike a lot and it's a nice bike....

Members who have read this thread: 0