Rockburn Reloaded XC Race - 3/22/09- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rockburn Reloaded XC Race - 3/22/09

I was looking at the Bikereg calendar and saw this race at Rockburn. 6 days before the Patapsco race. Registration doesn't open till this coming Monday.

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=7681

Bicycle rider
    Yea, I noticed this race but I don't know how I feel about racing at Rockburn. Not much singletrack.

mtbr member
    Guys....do you all know it well enough to show me around the course?
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

Sweeper
    Rockburn = not much fun if you ask me. Like stated it is a great race for beginner that wants to try a race at a Easy event/course.

mtbr member
    Well, after my poor finish last weekend, this might just be what I need.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Trail snobs!

Look at it this way, at the very least, it would be a warm up to the Patapsco race the following week.

Wood, here's the map of the park. No idea what the race course will look like. I know they have held cyclocross races there.

http://www.co.ho.md.us/RAP/RAPDocs/RBPTrails.pdf

Masher
    That's what I don't get. How are they going to set up a 5 mile track without crossing Landing rd?

And, in fairness, Snotcycle was an extremely easy track, it was just all snowy. Whatever they come up with in there can't be too much easier than Snotcycle.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am curious to see what the race course would look like.

Masher
    oh and the rockburn cx race didnt go on the trails at all. the track was set up to run a route that only sees bikes during that event save for a couple very short sections and im not sure they were actal trails.

mtbr member
    If anybody wants to, I plan on coming down in the next couple weeks to just ride every trail they've got for a day.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    you know it goes up around the parking lots where the tennis courts are at, (kind of hilly), then it makes it way all the way up to that meeting house across the street from the elementary school where we park...they could make a pretty good lap out of it all...and theres also a little hill that could be used up or down, that has somewhat of a corkscrew too...could be alot of fun for ya all....

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWood922
    If anybody wants to, I plan on coming down in the next couple weeks to just ride every trail they've got for a day.
    You definitely can’t make a day out of it, maybe2 hours, but once you cover everything in Rockburn you can swing over to Patapsco and have an even better ride.

mtbr member
    Okey dokey...that works too! lol
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

Bicycle rider
    Anyone have any details on the course route and or pre-ride? I can’t find anything on bikereg. Thanks!

Sweeper
    I was told today that it is not the Event Organizers fault for no course info yet. I heard the course is mapped out only when the Park/County tells the organizers where they can have bikes ride in the park. Perhaps that has not taken place yet.

I think you can still sign up. Perhaps I should sign up. Might have to loose the Bash and put the big ring back on... I would forsee high average speeds in Rockburn.

Bicycle rider
    Thanks for the info. Luckily I signed up a few weeks ago because Cat 2 is now full! Eujin and I are both signed up… anyone else here?

mtbr member
    I had planned on it. But after my 2month vacation, I'm having a really hard time getting enough riding time in to make a respectable effort.

Gotta find the balance, man....
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

Long live long rides.
    I just hope the organizers are watching the weather - The people who ran O-Hill did not.

Masher
    O'Hill begged the question: Why did they even name a rain location?

mtbr member

Race course

Race course is up on Bikereg. Looks like it's almost the entire park that will be used for the race. Looking forward to this Sunday.

Long live long rides.
    my fingers are crossed that the weather is nice.

mtbr member
    So how does this course compare to Patapsco? I haven't had a chance to pre-ride, so race day will be my first time there.

Long live long rides.
    This course is gonna be easier, and not as hilly no doubt. Probably it will roll nice and fast (assuming no rain / adverse conditions) - so hopefully a burner race.

Sweeper
    Chance of rain today and then clearing overnight. As of now the extended forecast calls for Sunny skys and decent temps through Tuesday.

On a negative side.... If the extended forecast is correct (rain Wed - Sat) of next week means Sugar Hill will be a MESS, if it is not rescheduled.

Long live long rides.
    You know it would not be the end of the world if they bumped sugar hill... Thanks for the update weatherman.

Sweeper
    Would not be the "end of the world" at all. I just hope, if it does rain Wed - Fri next week they strongly consider using the "rain" date.

Bicycle rider
    The course has lots o roots in some sections with a couple of climbs… one climb appears to be on a paved surface. Eujin and I rode most of it yesterday that we could find using the map from bikereg that is posted above. Below is my gps from the ride. A lot of the course is double track. No sections are very technical and some is paved trail.

Sorry but I am not skilled enough to know how to save then insert the image into this post. Every time I try to insert a link to an image I get a “Google forbidden” message. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%...=UTF8&t=h&z=15

Long live long rides.
    No steep climbing right? Google terrain map suggests pretty gentle climbing.

Bicycle rider
    Not too steep. From what I can tell the steepest climb is near the football/soccer fields and it is partly paved and gravel. Nothing like the first climb is going to be at the Patapsco AFC race. Mostly the course is going to be “all out” all of the time. Not many areas you can rest while riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You guys can find all the info for the race here as well on the Cyclingdirt coverage page.

We're going to be there filming, interviewing, and bringing full race coverage.

There will be a preview video of the course from Saturday morning posted on saturday night for those wondering what the conditions are like.

Things will be updated to the minute.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdirt
    You guys can find all the info for the race here as well on the Cyclingdirt coverage page.

We're going to be there filming, interviewing, and bringing full race coverage.

There will be a preview video of the course from Saturday morning posted on saturday night for those wondering what the conditions are like.

Things will be updated to the minute.
    Very cool

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Gearing?

Anyone have advice for an out of town singlespeeder on what sort of gear to run? Seems like its fairly flat, so I definitely need to swap out the 32x20 I've been running in the mountains!

mtbr member
    32x16/17 if your stronger than most, or 32x18 should be fine, anything bigger and you be spinning like crazy.

Long live long rides.
    i think i'm gonna go out and pre-ride tomorow morning ... say 10 / 10:30. Anyone else interested?

pm me for cellular telephonics, or email

josh DOT nadas AT gmail DOT com.

Sweeper
    Just got back from riding the course with a few. Trails are fine. Just a couple tacky spots. Recovered from the rain great!

Sweeper
    Can the course be ridden this evening? Will it be marked off? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    The race preview video is out:

<embed src="https://www.cyclingdirt.org/assets/portal/add_ons/mediaplayer-4.2/player.swf" width="480" height="360" bgcolor="#" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="&image=https://s3.amazonaws.com/flocasts-user-videos-images/18101_20090321163552_1237676905416_l.jpg&logo=http s://www.cyclingdirt.org/assets/portal/simple30/images/video_overlays/cyclingdirt-320.png&file=https://s3.amazonaws.com/flocasts-user-videos/18101_20090321163552_1237676905416.flv&frontcolor= 000000&lightcolor=cc9900&controlbar=over&stretchin g=fill" />

https://www.cyclingdirt.org/videos/c...course-preview

Did a quick ride this afternoon and looks like the course was still being marked. I still got lost on the west side . Looks like we will have to cross the stream on the east side and I did see some log crossings being setup .

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Course marking ran long and the sun was going down so we didn't get any video from the course itself, but there's really not much to see. It's rock hard and super fast almost the whole 5 mile loop.

Video from the races and interview will be up tomorrow night/ Monday morning.

Sweeper
    Congrats Eujin for doing great in the race! Course was fast. Fun Watching the pro's battle it out! Chris Eatough came in 2nd and his teamate 1st. They were hauling! Large Gap to 3rd!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Interviews are up on the coverage page.

Race footage from Cat 3, Cat 2, and Cat 1 will be up tomorrow.

www.CYCLINGDIRT.org

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Had a good time at the race today. The course was a little different than the map above and overall it turned out to be quite a good mix of terrain. It's got the rooty and sandy sections on the east, the climbs around the baseball and soccer fields to the farm house, the tight, twisty and muddy single track on the west, then the sprint across the field and the final climb up the gravel double track to the finish line. Fast paced race.

Good job to the organizers. Great event. Looking forward to next year's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Thanks for the pics, Ed. And also the cheer and support from you & Marshall. Always a good motivator .

And also good to see 269er & family there too. Congrats to Jenny for winning her class .

mtbr member
    Does anybody know when/where the results will be posted?

I had a great time for my first race of the season - I'm glad it wasn't too muddy with all the rain/snow we've had the last few weeks.

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    What a great day for a race It was nice seeing all of you (cableguy46, eujinc and expmars) and finally meeting some more of the Patpsco crew (weatherman & crackerasscracker). Sorry our ride didn't work out... but the season is just starting and there will be plenty of opportunities to hook up.

Thanks so much for cheering for our daughter
    It really means alot to the three of us

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
    Does anybody know when/where the results will be posted?

I had a great time for my first race of the season - I'm glad it wasn't too muddy with all the rain/snow we've had the last few weeks.

RESULTS ARE UP

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Thanks for the gear advice and the pics! Has anyone seen others posted anywhere? I saw a ton of photographers out on the course on Sunday.

Members who have read this thread: 0