Roanoke VA Route Needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roanoke VA Route Needed

A buddy and I are headed to Roanoke next weekend to do some riding. Does anyone have good routes that I can download to a garmin that they would like to share. Anything from an all day ride to shorter 2-3 hr rides that we can hit in the morning then ride another trail after lunch. Not looking for anything with big drops or a lot of hike a bike.

Thanks
    Bacon

WillWorkForTrail
    Check MTB project or your favorite trail map app for Carvin's Cove. Also, check out Skratch Biscuits for some chow. A buddy I went to high school with owns it, and it's getting rave reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    A buddy and I are headed to Roanoke next weekend to do some riding. Does anyone have good routes that I can download to a garmin that they would like to share. Anything from an all day ride to shorter 2-3 hr rides that we can hit in the morning then ride another trail after lunch. Not looking for anything with big drops or a lot of hike a bike.

Thanks
    Bacon
    If you have the time, Douthat State Park is about an hour away and the riding there is fantastic. It would be worth spending a day or a week riding there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Carvin's Cove is the easy (and awesome) option. Plenty of signage and maps around to make it easy for your first time. Stop in Just the Right Gear and buy a map on your way out and you'll have no trouble.

Formerly of Kent
    Douthat or Carvin's Cove. Both are awesome. Really can't go wrong with either.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on Mill Mountain? Worth hitting for a quick ride?
    The plan is to get there Sat early afternoon. Ride Carvin.
    Sun, hit Douthat for the day, then monday back to which ever we like better

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on Mill Mountain? Worth hitting for a quick ride?
    Haven't ridden Mill Mountain but I have hiked a very small amount there. It's nothing exciting, but decent (if a little boring) riding and very close to town. It could be fun for an hour or so, but I wouldn't plan on making a day of it. Go see the star (can just walk out to it from the car) and look across the valley to Carvin's Cove and GW where the good riding lives!

If you are looking for seriously gnarly climbing and descending with incredible ridge riding between look into Dragon's Back (AKA North Mountain trail) but be wary; it's insanely brutal getting up to the ridgetop and the descents are equally hairy.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I thought I replied to this but it must not have took. Mill Mountain is definitely worth a visit if you are looking to fill a 2 hour slot without driving far. I ride there several times a week for that reason. Trails are built as good as the Cove, but there are not that many miles - 10 maybe. All are intermediate level, some border on a light black. Most of Mill Mountain is actually rockier than most of the Cove. Monument Trail as a downhill is a great ride. Ridgeline to Sidewinder to Wood Thrush gives you a 800 foot vertical mostly all singletrack down to the Roanoke River Greenway. Stop by the Discovery Center for trail info. If you park at the Star or Discovery Center just remember it is all uphill coming back. We usually park down by the river for that reason.