Roanoke in the Rain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roanoke in the Rain

With the weather we've been having in Roanoke lately, rain every day, where can I ride without tearing up the trails? I know Carvin's Cove is out because it doesn't have time to dry out. Explorer Park and Montvale are out for the same reason. Does Mill Mountain dry enough to ride when it's sloppy everywhere else?

Any suggestions? And no, I'm not really interested in a road ride.

Thanks.

i ride a bicycle
    If you dont mind a drive ; 7 sisters in Wytheville (I77 exit b4 tunnel heading North toward WVa )drains better than any trail i v seen/slate rock base .There will be mud at one place each end at the start then vertually none. Stoney Fork Campground is one TH Day parking is other PM me or repost if u wany more info cell 276 six2zero 87zero 1

i ride a bicycle
    also what about Dragons Back it seems to drain better CCove / Little more pushing for me tho !!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    With the weather we've been having in Roanoke lately, rain every day, where can I ride without tearing up the trails? I know Carvin's Cove is out because it doesn't have time to dry out. Explorer Park and Montvale are out for the same reason. Does Mill Mountain dry enough to ride when it's sloppy everywhere else?

Any suggestions? And no, I'm not really interested in a road ride.

Thanks.
    Mill Mountain will be the best of the trail systems close to town. There's a few spots on the upper end of Ridgeline trail that might be muddy and few spots on Wood Thrush, but most of it drains very well.

Dragons Back would be fine on top, but you have to get up there. An out and back from Dragons Tooth parking lot would be an option.

Looks like things might be drying out after today.

My spelling is atroshus
    Thank heavens we are looking at sunshine for the weekend!

Members who have read this thread: 0