Roanoke Epic trails?- Mtbr.com
    Gumby
    Apr 2005

Roanoke Epic trails?

I am going to be in Roanoke next Tuesday and Wednesday and basically have all day both days (until 6) to ride. I see Carvins Cove and Explore Park trails, and they look like good trails if you are a local just looking for a few hours to burn, are there good 'epic' trails nearby that I can get to by bike? I am looking for something like Southern Traverse, and maybe Dragon's Back is the trail I'm looking for. I don't have a problem putting in 50 miles on the mtb since I have pretty much all day It's a weird situation that I'm traveling but won't have a car...

Also, any Roanoke locals looking to ride next tuesday/Wednesday (July 24-25th)?

mtbr member
    Um, the Cove is good to go. Explore Park is a disaster - supposed to be a group going out to work on them Saturday morning I think. Other folks will chime in and recommend trails for ya!
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

banned
    Hit the Cove. IMO that IS the best trail system in all of VA. Definitely rates on my scale as epic. Blows away Dragons Back and the Traverse. Even better then Douthat.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I don't really agree with Spinning Lizards assessment but if you just have a couple of days Carvins Cove would be the ride of choice. The most variety for the least amount of traveling. There's nothing at Carvins Cove that comes close to the technical riding at Dragons Back, but to each his own.

You mention no car, where are you riding from? Except for Mill Mountain all of these places require driving from Roanoke city.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Reread your post and it looks like you need a ride and guide. Do you have a bike here?

I have to work til 5 PM Tuesday and Wednesday. If you don't get any full day offers I would be glad to show you the Mill Mountain trails on either of those days after work. Not epic, but better than you might think. Rocky and lots of climbing.

Gumby
    Apr 2005
    My fiance and I are coming into town for her to take the bar for 2 days, so I'll have time to kill during the day. My thought was to get in a road ride on the parkway one day and do some mtb-ing the other day.

The issue is she'll need the car for the testing because they are very strict on what they can bring into the testing center (e.g. no snacks), so she'll need a place to stash things or to run out during a break for brainfood.

So, I have from plenty of time during the day to get out to the trails. My other concern is tree blowdowns from the storm a couple weeks ago, we had over 30 trees down on our local trails (in only ~15 miles of trails). I'm sure it will take a while for the backcountry trails that I'm seeking to get cleared versus a trail network that is in town. Are there local clubs with message boards I can check out? Obviously I'm not familiar with the area...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo337 View Post
    I am going to be in Roanoke next Tuesday and Wednesday and basically have all day both days (until 6) to ride. I see Carvins Cove and Explore Park trails, and they look like good trails if you are a local just looking for a few hours to burn, are there good 'epic' trails nearby that I can get to by bike? I am looking for something like Southern Traverse, and maybe Dragon's Back is the trail I'm looking for. I don't have a problem putting in 50 miles on the mtb since I have pretty much all day It's a weird situation that I'm traveling but won't have a car...

Also, any Roanoke locals looking to ride next tuesday/Wednesday (July 24-25th)?
    Curious what you ended up doing. I hope you hit the cove, you can make a pretty epic day out of it and the trail variety is very good, plus it is well mapped and marked. It is well beyond the point of being just "OK for the Locals".
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    I know all the trails at Carvin's Cove are open. I was rather surprised at how quick the downed trees got removed. Everything is clear there though.

I think a ride from where ever you are staying to Carvin's Cove, then a good ride through all the uppers and lowers, then a ride back, will be more than enough riding for you for the day.

I'd offer to guide you, but I'm completely out of shape right now and the uppers alone might kill me.

Members who have read this thread: 0