Roanoke Area Riders: Come help reclaim an epic back-country trail system!- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Roanoke Area Riders: Come help reclaim an epic back-country trail system!

Roanoke Area Riders:

Come out this coming Sunday (August 12th) and help with the clearing of Price Mt Trail. For details about this workday, see RIMBA's Facebook Page:

Here is a description of this project, from RIMBA:

The Price / Patterson trail system is located 40 minutes north of downtown Roanoke, roughly between New Castle and Fincastle. It a network of ~20 miles of classic VA single-track with several loop options. These are established USFS trails which can be found on USFS and National Geographic maps. Despite this, it has for years remained largely unknown, unused, and unmaintained. Thus many trails became overgrown and unride-able, with trail signs reduced to rotted stumps.

About a year ago, this system was brought to the attention of area riders by one individual* who had a vision of these trails providing an epic back-country riding experience. This spring, Roanoke IMBA became involved with the project. We have been working with the USFS to establish which trails are appropriate for clearing and re-opening. This map shows what we propose to ultimately re-open (hint: switch to “terrain” mode). Much of this simply needs clearing of overgrowth and deadfall, a few sections will need some re-benching. Much clearing had already been done by mysterious trail gnomes.

*MTBR regulars know him as CraigCreekRider
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Kapusta I was a little slow at getting something up here. Actually worked over there today for a couple of hours.

Just for an update. Price Mountain trail is approximately seven miles long. One end has been mostly cleaned, the South end. I am sure it needs sawing out again after Dereckto. From Rt 606 it starts as a ridiculously steep one mile hike a bike. Then a two mile stretch that resembles Dragons Back to the south.

Sulphur Ridge loop hooks into the south end

It has been brushed out also

The north end were we are working now is a nontechnical ridgetop 3-3.5 mile ride from Kelly Trail to Patterson Creek road.
    Our last workday

The worst of what is left looks like this

Other stretches are not near as bad, but will still require saw work and minor cleaning

We made good progress on our first organized work day, but we really could use some more folks.

Last I heard, you don’t have to be a RIMBA member to join the workday. These trails are in absolutely wonderful shape considering their age. Come on out and join the fun. I have an extra 3 or 4 sets of clippers that work great on this stuff. The articulated head hedge trimmer works great for final cleanup, but is heavy and we could use some more folks to run that too.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    If there are any that would like to help out some and then do a ride there is an option for that. There is a car suitable parking spot around 1.3 miles in from Rt 612 on the Patterson Creek Forest Service road. Beyond that point it is a jeep trail. Anyway, it is a nice scenic and flat ride along and through Patterson Creek for about 5 miles to the Price Mountain trailhead. It would be a good introduction to the area to see if you want to come back later.

You could follow the vehicles in and then ride – push up to where we are working. At the end of the workday a fast fun downhill exit would await you. We are probably about 1.5 miles in now (all up). I think it is probably at least another half mile to the very top of this trail section, maybe more.

Our first workday we battled our way through a thick laurel section

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Bump.

Still looking for a few good men, women, children, laurel eating goats, tool carrying trail dogs, mini-dozers, etc.........

PM Kapusta or myself if interested. I think we are actually making good progress but the number of trail miles versus the number of volunteers is a little overwhelming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Steve, this is Todd Martin from Martin's Downtown. I would've pm'd you but i'm under 10 posts. I am interested in helping out with this. I don't have any trail maintenance experience but i'm willing to learn and sweat for a good cause. Just let me know when you guys plan on meeting up again and I will be happy to help. Thanks.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nver enf View Post
    Hey Steve, this is Todd Martin from Martin's Downtown. I would've pm'd you but i'm under 10 posts. I am interested in helping out with this. I don't have any trail maintenance experience but i'm willing to learn and sweat for a good cause. Just let me know when you guys plan on meeting up again and I will be happy to help. Thanks.
    Will do. Did a Martins visit last night. I had seen the Riverbank Ramblers two or three times before, but that was by far their best show for me.

As far as trailwork goes - no experience necessary. I have extra clippers and we always need extra help with the machine. It is heavy and wears you out pretty quick. I'll post up when we plan the next work day. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0