riding in Silver Spring- Mtbr.com

May 2007

riding in Silver Spring

Hi all-

I'm going to be living in Silver Spring for 8 weeks (for work), and was hoping people could recommend any good riding near there. I'm new to riding, so I'm looking for some easier single/double track, nothing overly steep or technical yet, but definitely more than pavement.

I've found some places north of Baltimore, but they all seem to be quite a drive from where I'll be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I am the owl
    Fairland in Laurel is closest and is good for new riders. Post on the MORE board and you can probably find someone to show you around.

Rockburn and Patapsco are next closest and right next to each other. Rockburn is beginner friendly while Patapsco is tougher but has a pretty wide variety of trails. You could definitely find some easier trails closer to Rockburn (Howard County side) and dip your toe in the pond. If you like what you are riding and feel good you can ride some of the harder stuff. Patapsco has the highest quality of trails out of the 3 places.

You can see the location of all of the area trails on this map.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    schafer, black hills and HMC aren't that far, neither is roseryville (but that would most likely require beltway driving - I wouldn't do it on a weekday). Upper rock creek when it gets finished enough to be worth riding too (not sure if you meant you'll be moving in 8 weeks or you'll only be here for 8 weeks).

If you want to hit fairland send me a PM, I'd be happy to give a tour.

May 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions! Just drove up here from North Carolina today, and start work tomorrow, so hopefully will be organized/rested enough in a few days to get out on my bike!

Members who have read this thread: 0