Riding The Shed This Weekend (08/07)- Mtbr.com

May 2005

Riding The Shed This Weekend (08/07)

I'll be riding up at the Shed this coming weekend. I was up there a couple weekends ago for my introductory ride in the area and have been trying to get back there ever since. So a friend and I are going to be driving up/over from Baltimore, hopefully by 10am.

No big bikes involved, just trail hardtails and shin guards, and we're hoping to avoid any lengthy climbs. I'm game to shuttle if anyone is going to be in the area.

If anyone is interested in hooking up for some riding post here or PM.

My little friends
    The Shed should be pretty sweet Saturday morning; temps will be low and the trails should be dry. I found more mud than I expected last weekend; being more accustomed to Gambrill which drains very well. The stream crossings should clean off any build-up though, (if you go that way! ). The biting flies seemed to be hungry around the fireponds though, so keep moving; you'll need that blood to spill on the other parts of the trail!

EA

mtbr member
    The Shed sounds fun, and I'd be intrested in riding it. Of course I've got a "Big Bike" an AS-X, but I just got it and I've been trying to find good places to ride.

I've never been to The Shed and can't find much info about it on MTBR or online. I live in Alexandria so I don't know how close that is. You can PM me or post here info/directions about the shed. If it's not to far from Alex, I may be able to go.

May 2005
    Yeah I noticed a couple weeks ago when I went there were some HUGE flies that looked pissed off, and certainly were not intimidated by my swatting at them resting on my car's bumper. I said to myself "these flies hang with the wrong crowd, best to roll up my windows and lock the doors" then I crossed the street and tried not to look them in the eyes. Scary.

I've yet to hook up with someone who can point out precisely where the popular downhill run is, but I did find an awful long descent that ended with a rock garden and a ladder bridge over a small stream. I got pretty lost and ended up back on Hamburg Rd but a couple miles down (east).

It's really not that far from DC. I live in Baltimore and it's almost exactly an hour to get there. Apparently from DC I understand it's almost exactly the same. I'll PM ya some directions. More the merrier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey, I'm going to be up there this Sunday @ 10 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Butter Topping
    Yeah I noticed a couple weeks ago when I went there were some HUGE flies that looked pissed off, and certainly were not intimidated by my swatting at them resting on my car's bumper. I said to myself "these flies hang with the wrong crowd, best to roll up my windows and lock the doors" then I crossed the street and tried not to look them in the eyes. Scary.

I've yet to hook up with someone who can point out precisely where the popular downhill run is, but I did find an awful long descent that ended with a rock garden and a ladder bridge over a small stream. I got pretty lost and ended up back on Hamburg Rd but a couple miles down (east).

It's really not that far from DC. I live in Baltimore and it's almost exactly an hour to get there. Apparently from DC I understand it's almost exactly the same. I'll PM ya some directions. More the merrier.

I'm doing an XC ride, but I could probably take you on the freeride trails on the north side of Hamburg. They're REALLY nice. You could easily spend a couple of hours riding those. I can tell you where the big downhill on the south side of hamburg is as well. No shuttling though

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    I'm doing an XC ride, but I could probably take you on the freeride trails on the north side of Hamburg. They're REALLY nice. You could easily spend a couple of hours riding those. I can tell you where the big downhill on the south side of hamburg is as well. No shuttling though

Dave
    I'm going to try my best to get up there. Hot Butter Sent me directions. Sounds like a great ride.

May 2005
    Dave...

I sent Oldskoolbiker a PM with the directions to the upper parking lot by the antenna, which is where I believe (according to some locals) the downhill runs start. If you want to meet us up there around 10am that would be killer. I would definitely be interested in seeing some of the northern side trails and DH like you said. And obviously you're welcome to ride with us.

Be warned though, I'm no salty FR veteran, hell I'm riding a trail hardtail, but if you don't mind a pretty solid intermediate rider hanging around I'm game.

P.S. If none of this makes sense I blame the alcohol. Just got back from a night of festivities in Baltimore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey

Dave...

I sent Oldskoolbiker a PM with the directions to the upper parking lot by the antenna, which is where I believe (according to some locals) the downhill runs start. If you want to meet us up there around 10am that would be killer. I would definitely be interested in seeing some of the northern side trails and DH like you said. And obviously you're welcome to ride with us.

Be warned though, I'm no salty FR veteran, hell I'm riding a trail hardtail, but if you don't mind a pretty solid intermediate rider hanging around I'm game.

P.S. If none of this makes sense I blame the alcohol. Just got back from a night of festivities in Baltimore.
    I'm meeting folks @ the Hamburg road parking lot @ 10. Strictly XC, though I was planning on making a detour to hit the FR trail @ the start of the ride. I'm not FR guy myself; the trail is WAY over my head, and I only do the easier 2-3 foot dropoffs. The parking lot @ the antenna will take you down the jump trail to the bottom of Hamburg. It's a ***** of a slog back up Hamburg w/o shuttling but the downhill is pretty good.

To do the downhill run you would ride around the gates @ the antenna parking lot, down a gravel road for 20-30 feet and then a right onto the singletrack into the woods. You would follow the singletrack until it T's with a fire-road. Take a right on the fire-road and keep following it to the bottom of Hamburg. Take a left straight uphill up for several miles to the top of hamburg until it hits Gambrill park road. Take a left on Gambrill park and the antenna parking lot will be a just a little bit down on the left.

If you don't mind only hitting the FR trail once and doing an XC ride in the 'shed after that you're more than welcome to come along w/ us.

Take it easy,
    Dave

May 2005
    I'll see how it goes and maybe swing down to the Hamburg lot to say hi, or maybe even ride that FR stuff first and then go back up to the DH run and shuttle a bit if we get enough cars. I think I found my way onto the DH run or jump trail (if by jumps you mean little log stacks and not proper dirt jumps) last time I was there and I ended up way down Hamburg road and having to hump it back up on the road. It was NOT fun even on a hardtail.

I'm in a black Audi A4 if you see it wave me on over.

May 2005
    Dave I don't think I saw ya today, but I'll sure we'll cross paths eventually.

Today's riding was pretty A+ in my book. Shuttled with 7 or 8 other guys, all of whom were better riders than myself but none honest enough to put it out. S'ok though, with enough practice and a more suitable bike for the FR stuff I shall be learned in the ways of the shuttler. ....or I'll just break something and it'll hurt. Hehe.

Lots of great trails up there. I'm hooked. I think next time I'll have to bring my videocamera or at the very least the digital camera.

mtbr member

Good job!

Dave I don't think I saw ya today, but I'll sure we'll cross paths eventually.

Today's riding was pretty A+ in my book. Shuttled with 7 or 8 other guys, all of whom were better riders than myself but none honest enough to put it out. S'ok though, with enough practice and a more suitable bike for the FR stuff I shall be learned in the ways of the shuttler. ....or I'll just break something and it'll hurt. Hehe.

Lots of great trails up there. I'm hooked. I think next time I'll have to bring my videocamera or at the very least the digital camera.
    Yeah riding there with Hot Butter and the other guys was great. I had a blast. Too bad my drivetrain exploded and did $100 in damage. But I'm all repaired and ready to go to Snoshoe this weekend.

If you ever get a new bike, always double check every bolt on the entire thing after you ride it a couple of times. My front derailler worked its way loose and lets just say it wasn't pretty. Luckilly I was able to do ontrail repairs and was able to use about 4 gears the rest of the day. Just in case anybody's curious I had to get,

New Front Derailler
    New Rear Derailler
    New Chain
    Two New Spokes
    New Derailler Hanger Bolts
    New Cables

May 2005
    Nothing says "bike carnage" like pulling up to someone on the side of the trail with their bike down and the rear wheel flopping around and only kept from rolling away by the rear derailleur cable. I was impressed.

That same jump was the one that Brian busted up his ankle on, and also the same one that you later wrapped yourself around a tree on. I'm definitely bringing the videocamera next time!