Riding NOVA Tomorrow (8/5)- Mtbr.com

Aug 2005

Riding NOVA Tomorrow (8/5)

I've been here in Northern VA for about a year, and am finaly going to get out on my bike. Was kind of thinking about fountainhead, anybody have any thoughts (or a map of the area). Thanks for any help.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperjetcar
    I've been here in Northern VA for about a year, and am finaly going to get out on my bike. Was kind of thinking about fountainhead, anybody have any thoughts (or a map of the area). Thanks for any help.
    http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Aug 2005
    Thanks, but the MORE site will not open on either my home or work computer, hasn't for the entire time I've been looking at riding again. I just started to assume that they had let their website go down.

mtbr member

MORE website fix (maybe)

Thanks, but the MORE site will not open on either my home or work computer, hasn't for the entire time I've been looking at riding again. I just started to assume that they had let their website go down.
    Try adding the line below to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

66.225.237.215 www.more-mtb.org

mtbr member

Fountain Head

The fountainhead trail is right at 8 miles. You are either going up or down the entire time and it really doesn't give you a break with any flats. You won't really need a map since the trail is a loop and is well marked. (I assume you mean trail map, not a map for driving directions)

If you haven't ridden in a year, you may want to go out to Wakefield. It's a little easier than fountain head, I think it may have about a 5 mile loop.

I may go ride one of these two places on Sunday, not sure what time yet. PM me if you want to go.

I know MORE has a 9:30AM ride at fountain head on Sundays. Last time I went with them I didn't eat breakfast and didn't warm up good enough. Lets just say I felt like passing out at the top of the first big climb. One of the people on the ride gave me a "gel" and I ate that and drank some water and I was ok after that. But fountainhead can definately be a killer if you are not in shape. Like I said it either up or down almost no flat.

Aug 2005
    All I can say is wow! I rode Fountainhead as my first off-road ride in almost two years and it kicked my butt, but it was still one of the greatest rides ever. I had read a few reviews, the extent of which were it doesn’t give you a break, but I was riding alone, mid day on Friday, so I figured that if I had to pull off to catch my breath, at least I wouldn’t be in anyone else’s way or holding anyone up. I have been riding, prepping for a 184 mile, 2 day ride, but it’s all been paved or hard gravel, flat trails. I’ve done 40 and 50 mile rides for the past 6 weekends, with a couple of 20’s during the week so the legs are in ok shape, I thought.

Anyway, find the trailhead, get on the bike and take off. Starts out with a mild downhill stretch with some roots and rock that I barely feel like my technical skills can keep up with, and then a climb that I end up walking over half of, not because my legs couldn’t do it, but I couldn’t remember how to shift, balance, find a line, and keep my weight back all at the same time. Wheel spins, momentum stops and over I go (I also forgot many times just how to get out of clipless pedals).

I sit at the top of the very first climb thinking this was a bad idea, but on I go anyway. Over the course of the next hour or so, I remember a lot I had forgotten about mountain biking, and for the most part develop some flow (though nothing that most of you would recognize as flow).

At some point in this exercise, as I am tunnel visioned into a particular climb, I hear a branch snap a few feet in front of me. I have just startled a deer that was resting not five feet from the trail, and watch it bound off into the woods. Not 500 ft. further down the trail, I come upon three deer including a nursing fawn, who calmly remain eating just 20 ft or so off the trail. I sit and stare for about 5 minutes and curse myself for not carrying a camera. Finally I start riding again, and finish the ride a little bruised, truly exhausted, and wondering why I ever stopped riding in the first place. I can’t wait to go again.