Riding Douthat - Blue Suck Falls- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Riding Douthat - Blue Suck Falls

Question for those who are experienced with this trail. I rode Douthat for two days back in May and really loved it. Unfortunately, I didn't ride Blue Suck Falls until the second day. First time down, I came to the falls and wasn't quite sure where the trail went. I walked down some cascading stones that basically took you down to the continuation of the trail. Second and third times down there were so many people hanging around the falls, I stopped short of the falls and just carried the bike down those ridiculously steep stairs to avoid all of the kids, dogs, etc.

Where are you supposed to go at the falls? Down those stone steps? Is that rideable? It looked pretty tricky and the penalty for failure (just dabbing) was pretty significant.

Thanks for any tips.

Jan 2004
    It's generally not considered rideable. A beautiful spot none the less, and worth the hike-a-bike.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a wuss. If I remember correctly, the first 6 or 7 steps looked rideable and then the rocks kind of lost their rhythym and things got a little ugly. I usually won't try something like that unless I can watch someone else do it first.

BTW, nice avatar. I've got that week's strip on my refrigerator.

mtbr member

Blue Suck

Which way did you ride up? Did you go up Stony Run to the top of Middle Mountain? I ran into the same problem the first time I rode there, try this route instead. It's the race course...the downhill on the Middle Mountain side will make you smile so hard your face will hurt.

http://www.mountainbikevirginia.com/Mommatopo.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks for the route

When I was there, Day 1 was basically starting up Stoney and going the whole way around the outside. Day 2 was basically all the way up Salt Stump, Middle, Blue Suck, Stoney, Blue Suck, Stoney, Blue Suck. Can you tell which 2 trails I liked?

The race course looks better. I know exactly where both intersections are for Pine Tree. I'll definitely go that direction next time. Thanks.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    I have contemplated riding the fall section several times. I think I might be able to clean it if everything went perfectly, but I could easily fall. The real issue I have with riding it is the rebar sticking out. Falling on rocks hurts, but falling onto rebar is just not an acceptable risk for me.

Jack

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Something to consider.

I found that riding everything clock-wise is the way to go at douthat.
    My favorite ride is to head up ross camp hollow to mtn side and then on to brushy hollow for the best DH in douthat.To save time you can go up beards gap to brushy hollow but stay out of buck hollow as its the best hike a bike trail in douthat.

mtbr member

New question here. Douthat

Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    I found that riding everything clock-wise is the way to go at douthat.
    My favorite ride is to head up ross camp hollow to mtn side and then on to brushy hollow for the best DH in douthat.To save time you can go up beards gap to brushy hollow but stay out of buck hollow as its the best hike a bike trail in douthat.
    8/08/05 Just wondering...I met a rider as I was leaving Douthat last year at the Park station. He was looking at my bike on the roof of my car and we started talking. He told me the bike he was riding was set up specifically for Douthat. I remember him telling me the best way to ride Douthat was clock-wise...was that you?