Riding with 7 y.o. DC area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Riding with 7 y.o. DC area

I'm in the Takoma Park area, just got my 7 y.o. a mtn bike. Just looking for feedback from anyone that rides w/kids as to their opinion/experience on area trails. Can't quite decide where to start him out on and how far to go.

I am familiar with many of the trails in the area....
    I typically ride at Shaeffer, Rosaryville, Patapsco, Fairfield regional park...
    Sometimes I go down to Lorton Prison Loop (been some years now), Wakefield (also been a while), Fountainhead. Haven't been down to Meadowood yet.

I was thinking of going to Rosaryville as a first stop but I'm not entirely sure he could do the 8-10 mi. And as for Schaeffer, I'd have to figure out a short-cut loop as taking the outtermost trails can take a while.

I've never done these with a kid in tow so am just curious if others have any advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by stuttsdc View Post
    I'm in the Takoma Park area, just got my 7 y.o. a mtn bike. Just looking for feedback from anyone that rides w/kids as to their opinion/experience on area trails. Can't quite decide where to start him out on and how far to go.

I am familiar with many of the trails in the area....
    I typically ride at Shaeffer, Rosaryville, Patapsco, Fairfield regional park...
    Sometimes I go down to Lorton Prison Loop (been some years now), Wakefield (also been a while), Fountainhead. Haven't been down to Meadowood yet.

I was thinking of going to Rosaryville as a first stop but I'm not entirely sure he could do the 8-10 mi. And as for Schaeffer, I'd have to figure out a short-cut loop as taking the outtermost trails can take a while.

I've never done these with a kid in tow so am just curious if others have any advice.
    Laurel Hill/Lorton is a PERFECT place to start. Park at the Equestrian Center and any of the trails from there will be great, and then there are options to progress to slightly more adventurous. And everything loops back quickly if your kid gets tired, needs a snack, etc.

Plus with all the rain we've been getting it's been one of the only reliable places to ride, 7 y.o. or not.

I am the owl
    Post up to the MORE junior rides, a.k.a. the sMOREs. They do regular youth rides in Montgomery County with multiple levels of experience. They can offer good advice and also a place for your kids to ride with similar aged/experienced riders.
    https://www.facebook.com/MOREjuniorrides/
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, I haven't been to Lorton in some time. It's good on a day when it's not blazing hot out as it's mostly exposed. But this might be a good place to start. Not sure I'm familiar with the equestrian center but I'll look online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ah, great advice. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    10 Mile Creek in Black Hills Park is beginner / kid friendly.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    10 Mile Creek in Black Hills Park is beginner / kid friendly.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Post up to the MORE junior rides, a.k.a. the sMOREs. They do regular youth rides in Montgomery County with multiple levels of experience. They can offer good advice and also a place for your kids to ride with similar aged/experienced riders.
    https://www.facebook.com/MOREjuniorrides/
    And this! (They always end with ice cream. )

mtbr member
    Ten Mile Creek is flowy and buff, but it's got a fair amount of climbing. I'm part of the sMOREs group in MoCo, and we like to start the groms off at the eastern side of Black Hills. We start at the parking lot at 121, and first do an out-and-back to the south on the last little bit of Hoyles Mill trail, then back to the parking lot, then north into Black Hills. You have to ride a little bit of pavement, past the Park Police stable, toward the boat launch, but just before you get to the boat launch, turn left onto Cabin Branch trail. We just have the little kids ride Cabin Branch, which is kind of horseshoe shaped, and brings them back to the road to ride back past the boat launch, the PP stable, and back to single track to get back to the parking lot. I think it's about a 5 mile ride all told. https://goo.gl/maps/USa7XuGZV9L2

mtbr member
    I'm downcounty as well, and some friends of mine run a biweekly Mini sMOREs ride, mostly on the bike path on Sligo Creek, in the warmer months. Rides usually end up at ice cream. Check out https://www.facebook.com/MoCoEastMinisMOREs/ if that sounds appealing. They might branch out this year to some easy single track as well.

mtbr member
    I started my 7 year old at Fairland mainly because it's close to my house but also most of it's pretty beginner friendly.

Only got her out a few times so far but just got her a new 24" bike for her 9th B-day so going to try harder to get her out this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Little bit of Drive but Motts in fredericksburg VA has some begginer friendly trails. Fredtrails.org to check them out
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!