Reddish Knob currently ridable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reddish Knob currently ridable?

Any one know current conditions? I know theres no snow in harrisonburg but out there near the top could be a different story.

SWO
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Depends on what you mean by "rideable." Last Sunday I parked at Braley's and took the SM100 "death climb" up the road to near the top of Reddish Knob, then came down Chestnut Ridge. 3-6 inches of crusty drifted snow, and all the puddles that usually cover the trail were ice, of course. Nothing stops you like dropping your front tire into a 10-inch snowdrift.

It's warm today so much of it might melt, but then you're left with a fragile muddy trail. You may want to consider alternates or stick to the gravel roads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SWO - I'll give you props for pulling that ride off in the dead of winter. That's a tough ride in ideal summer conditions. That's some pretty serious mileage, and you are really 'out there' when near the top of Reddish. Last time I rode the 'death climb' was this past October, and the portion of forest road that straddles the border between VA and WV I find to be the toughest. Not from a climbing sense, but the road jumps back and forth on the face of the ridge - in and out of the wind, then that rather long downhill section before the final climb, then it flattens out. I'm adding/dropping layers to stay comfortable.

What were the forest roads like at the lower elevations? Wet with puddles, or dried out? I've been wanting to hit Narrowback, but want to hit it during dry or mostly dry conditions.

SWO
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ha, I bit off a little more than I could chew, between numb toes and spinning in the snow. I recorded about 41 miles and 4600' climbing all told. The funny thing was, when I reached the open-air intersection at Little Bald knob, after not seeing a soul for hours, who should come hissing down the trail toward me but two other bikers.

We looked at each other like, "What the heck are YOU doing up here?" None of us expected the snow. It's pretty isolated out there. That's why I like it.

I don't remember which trail is Narrowback, but the snow didn't really start until near the top of Reddish and the trail to Little Bald (and down from there). Mostly high elevations.

The lower fire roads were clear with frozen mud puddles. The forecast is for some snow this week and then bitter cold overnights into the weekend, so I think it'll get worse before it gets better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Narrowback is east of Reddish. Basically between Stokesville and Hone Quarry Campground on the SW side of Tilgman Rd./FR95. It's part forest road, part single track. Can be combined with some gravel road riding for a nice 20 mile loop. A bit of climbing but nothing like Reddish.

Yeah today would have been the ideal day to go riding. Snow and cold temps on for the end of this week into the weekend! Just when things were sort off drying out too! Oh well, it is January.

mtbr member
    Narrowback is definatley good to go right now. We shuttled reddish knob saturday. The lower 1/2 of the trail is snow free. The upper half was very ridable (mostly an inch or less) with only a couple spots that were a little too deep to ride . Any part of the trail that didnt have snow was totally dry. No mud at all. Super fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the status update. If I wasn't bound to my work obligations, I'd be there tomorrow. Supposed to be somewhat mild temps. Oh well. Hopefully this storm that's supposed to hit tomorrow night will either miss us or not drop a lot of precipitation. Always happens - just when things are starting to dry out nicely, another storm comes rolling in. Can't wait for May, or March for that matter!

Members who have read this thread: 0