Recently moved WV- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Recently moved WV

I have recently moved to Moatsville WV (near Philippi). I’ve not been riding for far to many months. I would like to go for a ride in the not to distant future, but don’t know the trails or people to ride with. After all sometimes the best rides are due to the people not the trails. If any one would be willing to show a 15lb over weight, and 8 month out of shape guy some of the great trails around, I would be very happy.
    If your wondering what kind of trails I like: technical, fast, challenging, up or down, or any combination of the above(Preferably more down than up). I ride a trek liquid. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

the unvarnished nonsense
    Never heard of Moatsville but I know where Philippi is. You'll find Cooper's Rock and some other riding north around Morgantown. The crown jewel of WV though is the Monongahela National Forest. Nearly 1,000,000 acres encompassing most of (north to south) Tucker, Randolph, and Pocahontas Counties. Tucker's highlights are Canaan Valley/Davis areas. See "Plantation Trail". Randolph has some goodies like Shingletree area, but Pocahontas has the goods. Do a search on this forum or Passion for Slatyfork, Pocahontas, Kennison, Rimel, Gauley, etc. Be sure to make plans for this year's gathering at Slatyfork as soon as final dates are set, maybe a week or so, its still ski season here now.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Because I am !
    Have to "DITTO" Davis' post.

Jun 2004

Sunday ride?

I think I will have time for a Sunday ride Shingletree area, anyone up for it?

Jun 2004

ride anyone??

Anyone up for a ride anywhere?

the unvarnished nonsense
    OM, I'm starting to get the itch too, but like I said its still ski season here, which means I'm still working as a ski tech for another week or two. Can't ride Sunday, have to work. I would suggest going into Fat Tire Cycle (Elkins or Buchannon shop) and introduce yourself to Joey Riddle. He rides all the time and I'm sure he could show you many, many miles of forest roads and trails in the area. Be forewarned however, that he's on the verge of going pro and he considers anything under 50 miles a "short ride".

Jun 2004

thanks for the info

Thanks for the info! If anyone is interested in a ride, anytime and place let me know. It looks like Sunday may not be the best day anyway (rain) See you on the trails.

Imback

Just a Test...do not reply

Quote Originally Posted by Ole McDonald
    Thanks for the info! If anyone is interested in a ride, anytime and place let me know. It looks like Sunday may not be the best day anyway (rain) See you on the trails.

My SS

Imback
    Quote Originally Posted by Imback

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole McDonald
    I have recently moved to Moatsville WV (near Philippi).
    Ole McD, I grew up and lived in Philippi up until about 6 years ago, but now live in Northern VA. My family still lives in Philippi, just off of Rt. 119/250 going towards Grafton (ie, just past A-B College). I'm heading back this weekend for a birthday/retirement party for my mother, so I will be in town Fri-Sun (3/17 - 3/19) and will have my Salsa singlespeed with me.

As for riding, we used to ride at the county fairgrounds in an area where they did quad races just behind the softball fields. Also used to hit up places like Audra State Park, but I am not sure they allow it anymore. Also did quite a few rides in Belington, as most of my high school riding buddies lived there and places like Laurel Mtn. It was mostly hitting up old ATV trails between Belington/Philippi (think between 38, 92, and 250...Sand Run, 4-H Camp, Midway, Bills Creek, Fan Run). For the most part, I traveled outside the county to ride though. Usually hit up Coopers Rock/Morgantown Area, Valley Falls State Park, Elkins/Randolph, Canaan Valley/Blackwater, and my favorite spot was Snowshoe/Slatyfork...lived there for four years just to mtb/ski.

Best I can tell ya, hit up this area in your car.....drive around and just scope things out, it's amazing countryside and I do miss it alot!!! Also hit up google maps to get a good idea of where I'm talking about.

Not sure what to type?

It's a small world...

[QUOTE=Hulkamaniac]I grew up and lived in Philippi up until about 6 years ago, but now live in Northern VA. My family still lives in Philippi, just off of Rt. 119/250 going towards Grafton (ie, just past A-B College)./QUOTE]

Hulkamaniac,

I grew up just down the road in Flemington. Lived there until 1994 when I moved to Summersville, WV. Now I live near Richwood, WV which is right on the border of the national forest. We'll have to do a little riding together someday.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=Hecklerboy]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac
    I grew up and lived in Philippi up until about 6 years ago, but now live in Northern VA. My family still lives in Philippi, just off of Rt. 119/250 going towards Grafton (ie, just past A-B College)./QUOTE]

Hulkamaniac,

I grew up just down the road in Flemington. Lived there until 1994 when I moved to Summersville, WV. Now I live near Richwood, WV which is right on the border of the national forest. We'll have to do a little riding together someday.
    Wow, small world indeed! I can't tell you how many times I did a road ride from Philippi right through Flemington and onto either Bridgeport or back to 119/250. Spent a lot of time in that area riding moto with friends as well during my younger years. We'll definitely have to ride together sometime.....I'm trying to get outta work for the Slatyfork Shuffle, a little homecoming of sorts as used to live in Slatyfork when I worked at Snowshoe...in a development called Slatyridge actually!

the unvarnished nonsense
    [QUOTE=Hulkamaniac]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerboy

Wow, small world indeed! .....used to live in Slatyfork when I worked at Snowshoe...in a development called Slatyridge actually!
    Very small...when we first moved down here we stayed in a place in Slatyfork Farms, just across the road from Slatyridge...now living on Jerico Road just outside of Marlinton. Hope to meet you at the Shuffle!

Members who have read this thread: 0