Racing snowshoe WV cross country trails...hardtail or full suspension?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Racing snowshoe WV cross country trails...hardtail or full suspension?

Hi, I haven't ridden or raced at Snowshoe mountain before. I'm going there for a cross country race. Looks like it's going to be 60% singletrack and 30% gravel fire roads. How gnarly are the trails? I ride hard tail but have access to a FS bike. Does anyone have first hand experience with the cross country trails out there? Which would be the faster rig there overall. Hardtail or full suspension?

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden an mtb there but if I wouldn't go without full squish since I know the the gncc races there and they call it being as rough and nasty as the old blackwater 100 in Davis, WV. You could do ok either way I'm sure but full squishy for me.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This will be for USA Cycling mountain bike nationals week. I'm doing a cross country race early in the week, non championship...but I'll be on the same course as the amateurs and junior riders. The elite and cat 1 riders do a different loop I believe. It's not an enduro, it's cross country only.

mtbr member
    I understand that but that's why I said my choice would be fs. But I have a few other personal reasons for that as well.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm going for sheer speed. But I haven't seen the trails so I don't know how gnarly they are or if FS would be faster than a hardtail. I know I'll go faster on the gravel bits on my hard tail but I need someone who knows first hand what the XC trails there are like.

Formerly of Kent
    Id take a look at pictures of previous national championships.

Personally Id go FS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I rode there last year for nats and did not explore too much other than the XC and bits of the DH courses. I rode a 100mm FS (SC TB2) it its seemed like a good choice. Its not real rocky but really rooty with deep slimy roots and i did not notice too many drops. I'd say a XC FS would be best but your not going to get beat up too much with a HT.
    I think tire choice is more of what you should consider. I would not get anything too file-tready and go for something with a little more meat. Between the roots and wet ground you want something that'll dig in. my .02..have fun!
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've ridden the Snowshoe XC trails for years - rigid, then hard tail and now FS. I imagine the course will be a little tame because it's a national XC. But FS is my preference. It can be gnarly, especially if it's wet. I would plan for a wet ride. It usually doesn't dry-out until mid August.

What's the course?