Races- Mtbr.com

Thread: Races

Dec 2005

Races

I am going to start racing XC this year. I am from Frederick, MD and I only know about the MD State Championship at Greenbriar State Park. Are there any other races that occur annually in the area (not strictly MD)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kruegs35
    I am going to start racing XC this year. I am from Frederick, MD and I only know about the MD State Championship at Greenbriar State Park. Are there any other races that occur annually in the area (not strictly MD)?

I didn't do any racing last yr but WVMBA puts on a great race series. Coopers and Big Bear are only a couple hrs from you. Big Bear is where the 24 hr race is held now. I don't think the new race schedule is up yet, but it should be soon. I MIGHT do a couple races myself and let Lowcel beat me for once. I use to do a lot of the WVMBA races.

mtbr member

Alright, let's ride!
    Here is the WVMBA race schedule for 2006. It hasn't been posted on the website yet but this should be the final schedule.

April 23 - Challenge at Mountwood, Mountwwod Park, Waverly WV
    April 30 - Big Bear, Hazelton, WV (this is the same venue as Granny Gear's 24 Hours at Big Bear June 11)
    May 7 - Henry Clay 40K,Cooper's Rock Sate Park, WV
    May 14 - Tour of Tomilson, Tomilson State Park, WV
    May 21 - Tour de Lake, Charles Fork Park, Spenser, WV
    May 28 - Race the Trace, Little Creek Park, South Charleston, WV
    June 17 & 18 - Appalachian Classic, Grantsville, WV
    July 30 - Little Beaver State Park, Beaver, WV
    Aug 6 - Lake Hope, near Athens, OH
    Aug 27 - New River Bike Fest, Ace Adventure Center, Oak Hill, WV
    Sept 10 - Free Wheeling, Winterplace Resort, Flattop WV
    Sept 24 - Black Bear, Kanawha State Forest, Charleston WV
    Oct 1 - Dirt Derby, Barboursville Park, Barboursville, WV

featherweight clydesdale
    I believe Panorama Trails in Charlottesville, VA is planning a charity spring race in April, a 15-20 mile XC Race (The Rambler) in early summer, and the Paranormal 6-hour race near Halloween. No further detail yet, but details will be here when info is available. I've heard a rumor about real cash prizes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Here is the WVMBA race schedule for 2006. It hasn't been posted on the website yet but this should be the final schedule.

April 23 - Challenge at Mountwood, Mountwwod Park, Waverly WV
    April 30 - Big Bear, Hazelton, WV (this is the same venue as Granny Gear's 24 Hours at Big Bear June 11)
    May 7 - Henry Clay 40K,Cooper's Rock Sate Park, WV
    May 14 - Tour of Tomilson, Tomilson State Park, WV
    May 21 - Tour de Lake, Charles Fork Park, Spenser, WV
    May 28 - Race the Trace, Little Creek Park, South Charleston, WV
    June 17 & 18 - Appalachian Classic, Grantsville, WV
    July 30 - Little Beaver State Park, Beaver, WV
    Aug 6 - Lake Hope, near Athens, OH
    Aug 27 - New River Bike Fest, Ace Adventure Center, Oak Hill, WV
    Sept 10 - Free Wheeling, Winterplace Resort, Flattop WV
    Sept 24 - Black Bear, Kanawha State Forest, Charleston WV
    Oct 1 - Dirt Derby, Barboursville Park, Barboursville, WV
    Damn, Coopers is in May? I don't even see Pipestem on there. Are they not doing the split season this yr?

Dec 2005
    Thanks for the responses. Maybe I will see some of you out there.

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Damn, Coopers is in May? I don't even see Pipestem on there. Are they not doing the split season this yr?
    They didn't have anyone to run Pipestem this year so it's a no go. They decided to go back to just one season, no split this year. Final rankings will be based upon the rider's best 6 scores plus the score from the final, championship race.

You are going to give me a headstart in the races you enter right? You have to give me a fighting chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are going to give me a headstart in the races you enter right? You have to give me a fighting chance.
    Yea....That's it.....Sure......I've been training. I've rode my bike at LEAST once a month since the start of December.

I liked it better when you were slower than me.

Alright, let's ride!
    Yea....That's it.....Sure......I've been training. I've rode my bike at LEAST once a month since the start of December.

I liked it better when you were slower than me.
    LOL, I'm not riding much either........honest. So far I only have about 530 miles in this month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the responses. Maybe I will see some of you out there.
    Hey Kruegs,

I'm planning to be either at Morgantown or Gambrils to ride this weekend (Sat.) I serously doubt Mo'town will happen. Probably under some snow right now. Wanna hook up at Gambrils? Planning to ride the yellow loop and the blue trail out to the 'Shed and back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    LOL, I'm not riding much either........honest. So far I only have about 530 miles in this month.

530 miles?!?!?! Is that all??? You poser!

Back in NH
    Jan 2005

No series races in Daves/Canaan....

Damn, Those where close ones for us Maryland folks.
    At least there ain't no damn points race the day after the rattlesnake. Perhaps they can get more than 20 racers this year....

Back in NH
    Jan 2005

Morgantown will be a bit white this weekend.

Post your plan if you don't mind. I might be looking for some dry riding. We got a couple inches in Frostburg and not more than a dusting in Cumberland, which will be gone today.
    Guess I should start some sort of riding/training or all the races will be like White Oak (Blow up in the first 5 miles and watch Low Cel ride on by).
    Jamie

Hey Kruegs,

I'm planning to be either at Morgantown or Gambrils to ride this weekend (Sat.) I serously doubt Mo'town will happen. Probably under some snow right now. Wanna hook up at Gambrils? Planning to ride the yellow loop and the blue trail out to the 'Shed and back.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternMD
    Post your plan if you don't mind. I might be looking for some dry riding. We got a couple inches in Frostburg and not more than a dusting in Cumberland, which will be gone today.
    Guess I should start some sort of riding/training or all the races will be like White Oak (Blow up in the first 5 miles and watch Low Cel ride on by).
    Jamie
    Appericate the info. I think I'm just going to bypass Coopers for awhile and let the skiiers have the trails. I'll be there enough this spring and summer.

You're welcome to join me at Gambrills if ya like. let me know.

Members who have read this thread: 0