Quantico and other places- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Quantico and other places

Are there trails on the west side of Quantico? I have maps for the mainside trails, but haven't seen anything for the Camp Barrett side.

I have an ID to get me on, though I usually have no problem getting on when I have scouting events with my son at Lunga.

I know there has to be some trails there somewhere, other than the gravel roads around Lunga.

Any pointers?

I live in Stafford and I am trying to get a good idea of trails nearby to ride.

I have found there are some at
    The Quarry In Fred.
    PWF Park, though not sure how much of this is actually MTB friendly
    Locust Shade, this looks to be real simple stuff.

Any other good places, maybe the battlefield areas, King George, etc...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There are a TON of trails at Quantico. You dont need anything other than a drivers license to get on to quantico. If you want to drive a little further north maybe 10 min, you have Laurel Hills, Giles run, Fountainhead, etc. A local site for the area is more-mtb.org, and logoffrideon.com. They both have trail maps, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798
    There are a TON of trails at Quantico. You dont need anything other than a drivers license to get on to quantico. If you want to drive a little further north maybe 10 min, you have Laurel Hills, Giles run, Fountainhead, etc. A local site for the are is more-mtb.org, and logoffrideon.com. They both have trail maps, etc.
    Do you know of any on the Camp Barrett side? That is so close to me, I could probably ride to it on the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not sure which side of the base the trails are near, I just know where they are. Have you checked out the site for quantico. These guys may be a better help.

http://www.quanticomtb.org/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah I have been looking there. All the maps that I have seen there are for the main side of Quantico,
    I have time to figure it out, as the trails are closed for a couple more weeks.

Our Scout leader says he rides there a good bit, not sure if he was talking about the Main Side or not.

mtbr member
    While not close you also have Poor Farm in Ashland, Lodi (Hollywood) Farm in FDBG, Buttermilk, etc. in Richmond, and the Burke Farm (CAMBO) trail in Culpeper. Both the Lodi and Burke trails requirement membership fees but they are both worth the small fee.

Quantico does have a lot of trails but I believe the best are located in the central part of the base. I usually start at the entrance by the day care center and map out a nice 12 - 14 mile loop.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah those down south are a lil further than I want to drive to ride. I think I should get my fill with Quantico and the Quarry. I may check out Lodi too. Jim from Revolution was talking about that one as well.

Though, I may eventually check out the Culpeper trails. Trying to get my buddy in Remington to get a bike so we can ride together...

Damn is it the weekend yet?
    Thanks!

beautiful jackass
    Can anyone describe the Quantico trails as compared to Fountainhead?

mtbr member
    Quantico trails are a lot flatter that Fountainhead. Fountainhead is only around 9 miles long compared to Quantico which can be 14+ miles depending on how you ride it. Both can be challenging but I would have to say Fountainhead is by far more difficult that Quantico.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.

mtbr member
    Damnit why didn't we have all that when I was stationed there...
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would have to say the opposite. There are some trails at Quantico that are somewhat technical, and steep. I think FH is much easier than Quantico.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not sure how up to date this map is. but a nice site for some trails in the area:

http://gpstrailsource.com/Maps.aspx?MapID=48
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    nov0798 - You do have a point. There is one pretty sweet and technical section that is just off the main road (Russell Road) from the back gate called Biker's Bumps. One hell of a good ride through there.

I went up to Quantico today for a ride and unfortunately some of the trails have been shut down since March 17th for 30 days to clear unexploded munitions. There are still at least half of the trails open if you enter just above the stadium near the apartments.

mtbr member
    The west side of Qunatico was closed several years ago to mountian bikers and eventually we created the mainside trails. Why were the west side trails closed? Because someone rode onto a live range. If you aren't familiar with where you are this could easily happen over there. Keep in mind that firing may not be occuring for a range to be "hot". If it is scheduled for live fire and people are on the range then it may be hot. I do not recommend riding on the west side and actually it should be discouraged as problems in one area on a base tend to affect policies in other areas of the same base....like closing the mainside trails. Fountain Head, Fredericksburg Quarry, Lodi, Wakefield, Lake Anna, Poor Farm, Pocahontas State Park are all good ride options. Once the the UXO removal has finished the mainside trails will re-open.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris442
    ...and unfortunately some of the trails have been shut down since March 17th for 30 days to clear unexploded munitions...
    Now that is one heck of a TTF!

mtbr member
    Oh yeah one wrong turn and boom!! Actually I have been riding the trails there since 03 and cleared quite a bit after the bad hurricanes and still have all my parts.

mtbr member
    Quantico mainside is open again.

Members who have read this thread: 0