Pocahontas Park - where to park/start?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pocahontas Park - where to park/start?

I'm riding Pocahontas for the first time this weekend. Where is the best place and start the ride?

Going from some reviews and maps it looks best to park near the small waterpark and take the Powhatan Trail to where it meets Lakeview 1.

mtbr member
    I park at the small parking lot right past the little hut where you pay. I park there and ride down the road towards the campgrounds and the trail is almost to the end on your right. It kicks off near a little outbuilding, they were cutting firewood there the last time I was down there. The road I'm speaking of splits State Park Road and East State Park Road. If you download or get a park pamphlet at the hut you'll see what I'm talking about. Probably 10 yards in the trees is the trail and if you take it to the right you'll run into the loops.

mtbr member
    Did you have cell service?

mtbr member
    I believe so. Might want to check the coverage area map for your carrier.

mtbr member
    Rode Pocahontas this morning. Great place! Verizon service everywhere I went.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I rode there yesterday, gonna be there Friday morning to. I had cell service all though the park with Verizon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Are there trails there that are suitable for a trail-a-bike for a kid? I have one with a 20" wheel that my son rides with me and it can easily ride hard packed dirt and gravel (but not rocks nor roots). I was wondering if this park had anything like that or even paved multi-use trails? Tthe trail descriptions from the park web site not too informative.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Are there trails there that are suitable for a trail-a-bike for a kid? I have one with a 20" wheel that my son rides with me and it can easily ride hard packed dirt and gravel (but not rocks nor roots). I was wondering if this park had anything like that or even paved multi-use trails? Tthe trail descriptions from the park web site not too informative.
    The park contains 80 miles of fire road.ake sure you pick up a map at th entrance an you can ride all day with a trail-a-bike.

FWIW- the park has asked mountain bikers not to park at the small lot right after you enter the park. If you travel down 30 more yards there is a huge dirt lot on your right, this lot is A good alternative. I only mention this as biker use recommended parkIng here.

The park is awesome and features two trail sections, each just over 11 miles long.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    The park contains 80 miles of fire road.ake sure you pick up a map at th entrance an you can ride all day with a trail-a-bike.

FWIW- the park has asked mountain bikers not to park at the small lot right after you enter the park. If you travel down 30 more yards there is a huge dirt lot on your right, this lot is A good alternative. I only mention this as biker use recommended parkIng here.

The park is awesome and features two trail sections, each just over 11 miles long.
    Thanks so much for the information! Sounds like what I am looking for to ride with the family.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I actually parked at the qualla road lot and saw tons of people biking there. its basically like you come down either newbys bridge or spring run (depends on where you're coming from) and then take a left or right onto qualla. Along that road you'll see the lot- usually a decent number of people there.

37.386026, -77.601295 - Google Maps

Members who have read this thread: 0