Pocahontas Cty/Snowshoe, WV trails and facilities inquiry...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Pocahontas Cty/Snowshoe, WV trails and facilities inquiry...

Hi all,

My group of riding buddies and me are planning a trip for June to Pocahontas county (we're from the Philadelphia, PA area and will number about 8 MTBers). We're looking at possibly staying at Elk River Touring Center, but that's not confirmed yet. We'd like to stay in cabins (electricity is a bonus--gotta have waffles and coffee, etc.). Are there any facilities/campsites in that area that have cabins for rent? We'd prefer to be able to ride 'out the door' and to the trails if possible.

Now the meat and potatoes of my post: how well marked are the trails in the area? Can you recommend some well-marked trails so that we don't find ourselves in a Deliverance-type situation (sorry if that offends anyone...)? We're looking for advanced trails, not easy going rail trails. Ideally, we'd have three solid days of riding available without too much repetition.

I've got a Slayfork trail map and a Monongahela NF trail map on the way. Can you recommend any other references?

Any volunteers to ride/guide with us? It would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks for the help! BTW, I'm sure I'll come up with more questions!

Jeremy

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    Hi all,

My group of riding buddies and me are planning a trip for June to Pocahontas county (we're from the Philadelphia, PA area and will number about 8 MTBers). We're looking at possibly staying at Elk River Touring Center, but that's not confirmed yet. We'd like to stay in cabins (electricity is a bonus--gotta have waffles and coffee, etc.). Are there any facilities/campsites in that area that have cabins for rent? We'd prefer to be able to ride 'out the door' and to the trails if possible.

Now the meat and potatoes of my post: how well marked are the trails in the area? Can you recommend some well-marked trails so that we don't find ourselves in a Deliverance-type situation (sorry if that offends anyone...)? We're looking for advanced trails, not easy going rail trails. Ideally, we'd have three solid days of riding available without too much repetition.

I've got a Slayfork trail map and a Monongahela NF trail map on the way. Can you recommend any other references?

Any volunteers to ride/guide with us? It would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks for the help! BTW, I'm sure I'll come up with more questions!

Jeremy

OK, Jeremy, let me get these questions by paragraph...

1) ERTC is a good option, but Pocahontas County is so spread out that you won't be able to ride out of any cabin to all of the goods. Another option would be Jerico Cabins, another would be to call Dirtbean Hale, our local bike shop run by pro Kristy Mantz.

2) Our trails are rather well marked, until the bears eat the signs, which occurs often. All of the "on the map" tourist stuff is easy to follow. Looking for advanced trails...well, you're in luck. What we call "easiest" most call advanced. As long as you stay off of the Greenbrier River Trail, someone will get bloody and mechanicals are a sure bet. Three days without repitition? Not a problem.

3) Volunteers to guide??? When are you coming? (You're not a bunch of cops or anything, are you?) As long as you don't mind the local riff-raff responsible for the Slatyfork Shuffle, I might be able to scare up HecklerBoy, Capt_Phun, LowCel, or at least myself, along with a quart or two of locally produced, strip the paint of your bike, shine. You'll be expected to provide the great mellowing agent, or if your not into that, beer. And lots of it.

4) OK, this is out of order, but the Slatyfork map may be sufficient for 3 days of tourist riding. The MNF map is OK but lacks detail. The MNF Hiking Guide is a must for serious repeat customers. We could use the Slatyfork map one day (you gotta ride Red Run and the Tea Creek Mt Trail descent, and maybe Prop's, which can be made into an epic loop), do a day off of the map at Kennison Mt., and that still leaves another for whatever yinz are up for after that. BTW, I don't ride Snowshoe, but that's a long story.
    Last edited by davis; 03-10-2006 at 10:40 AM.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

excellent information...

Davis,

Thanks for all of that information. I've got a couple of follow up questions, though. I checked out the cabin places you mentioned. Is there a general area you can recommend staying that will offer boutiful riding that we can just ride to instead of packing up the cars?

Our trip is planned for June 22-25. We're aiming at getting there early afternoon on June 22. No worries, we're not cops or anything like that. We're into having a good time too. The mellowing agent will be present (probably in abundance), though half of us do not partake. Beer will flow, fun will be had. It's nice knowing that you or some of your cohorts may be willing to help us out. That's what it's all about.

Here's a subjective question: is the area SSable? I was thinking about bringing my 29er SS, but don't want to regret it if I do. We're all pretty capable riders--not always the fastest in the world, but we get the job done. No worries there.

You'll have to tell me about the Snowshoe situation.

Jeremy

the unvarnished nonsense
    Jeremy-

Marlinton (about 18 miles south of Slatyfork) is a good centralized option, but there aren't an abundance of trails to ride to from town. Sounds like ERTC is the way you guys want to go. There's one other option, and I'll get to that soon. If you stay at ERTC, you can ride to the Gauley Mt trail system (Gauley Mt Trl/Tea Creek/Tea Creek MT/Bear Pen/Red Run/Bannock Shoals/West Fork/Prop's Run/Powerline/etc) with a relatively easy 4 mile 2000' climb up Mine Road (USFS 24) after a few paved miles of #219.

Is the area SS'able? Normally I'd lean to the answer that gears are better, but Chili showed up at last year's Slatyfork Shuffle with an SS and did just fine. Haven't seen many 29'ers around, but I'd imagine the extra clearance would be a big plus on our trails. So I guess an SS would be OK, if that's your thing, but its not mine, so I'm not too big of a help on that one. If you could bring an SS and a regular geared bike, I'd suggest that.

Now, here's that last option. The Forest Service's Tea Creek Campground. Little to no amenities, but its where we make base for the Shuffle. We traditionally hold the Shuffle the first week/weekend of August, but that time is sort of difficult for me due to things that are happening on the homefront at that time of year (garden, preserving, cows, etc). So, I've been thinking about changing the date. Possibly we could have the Shuffle around the time you'll be down and you guys could camp with the rest of us delinquents and save some dough.

And nobody has ever used the words "davis" and "fast" in the same sentence, unless of course it was related to a beer run or something.

Finally, I used to ride Snowshoe trails when I lived in Slatyfork, before they built the Whistler-influenced terrain park. Every now and then I would get a little static about it because I never paid the shuttle fee (which I didn't use). Basically, with hundreds of miles of singletrack available on public land, I can't see the appeal of paying to ride trails which are usually in worse shape than the freebies. And when I ride, if see nobody else at all, that's a plus. I'll still recommend Snowshoe to DH'ers and freeriders, but for general XC I'd say the real infamous gems are free for the riding elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

shuffle shuffle shuffle

Davis,

So what's the Slatyfork Shuffle all about? Just a mini festival of good times, good riding, good friends, good everything else? Do you know what the typical cost per camp site is? When do you plan on firming up the date for the Shuffle? We'd like to book our lodging, whatever it may end up being, within a couple of weeks.

Forgive me if the info is readily available on the web, but does Tea Creek have showers and flushable toilets? Is there a supermarket close enough for us to load up on supplies before the Shuffle? How far is it from ERTC?

I understand your point of view regarding Snowshoe. I haven't been there, but it makes sense that you'd want to ride the free stuff, especially if it's better than most of the pay stuff. We're not FR/DHers, so that's not really for us. We just like to ride!

Jeremy

Not sure what to type?

Mind if I but in?...

Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    Davis,

So what's the Slatyfork Shuffle all about? Just a mini festival of good times, good riding, good friends, good everything else? Do you know what the typical cost per camp site is? When do you plan on firming up the date for the Shuffle? We'd like to book our lodging, whatever it may end up being, within a couple of weeks.

Forgive me if the info is readily available on the web, but does Tea Creek have showers and flushable toilets? Is there a supermarket close enough for us to load up on supplies before the Shuffle? How far is it from ERTC?

I understand your point of view regarding Snowshoe. I haven't been there, but it makes sense that you'd want to ride the free stuff, especially if it's better than most of the pay stuff. We're not FR/DHers, so that's not really for us. We just like to ride!

Jeremy
    Jeremey,

You should definetley come to the Slatyfork Shuffle. It's a great time with great people that just want to have fun and ride. Think of 4 to 5 days for camping, riding, and eating. Oh yeah, don't forget about the "corn juice" .
    There are no showers or flushable toilets at Tea Creek Campground. They do have well maintained pit toilets and a nice river to bath in. I'm actually working on a homemade shower I might try to bring this year.
    If you would like to see some pictures and description of the local trail you can check out my website (follow the link at the bottom of this post) and go to the local trails section. Also check out the Slatyfork Shuffle section for some pics and video from the past 3 years.
    Hope to see you at the shuffle.
    Last edited by Hecklerboy; 03-13-2006 at 07:18 AM.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

the unvarnished nonsense

ditto..

Hey Jeremy-

The Shuffle is our little mtbr gathering, WV style. We usually draw about a dozen or so riders, many repeat customers that wouldn't dream of missing, and several new faces each year. Tea Creek Campground doesn't take reservations, but I go early and grab one of the largest campsites along Tea Creek. We can put up to 8 people in a site, but only 2 vehicles, so often unload and park extra cars in the public lot inside the campground. This will be our fourth year and we've never had a problem accomodating everyone and staying close, if not in adjoining sites. One could ride from Tea Creek to ERTC via Bannock Shoals, USFS 135, USFS 24, and Prop's Run, but you'd better off driving the 20 or so odd miles on #219 and #150. Marlinton, about 15 miles from Tea Creek, has a Foodland for groceries, gas stations, and a liquor store (eventhough this is a "dry" county, but I've never been able to figure that one out as every gas station sells beer).

I'm not sure if we have more fun on the trails or at the campground, but we certainly do have a good time. I think the dates when you guys are coming down are going to be the dates, so if you do stay at ERTC you certainly are welcome to come down and ride with us, but you may want to be around for the off-bike activities as well, so that's your call. I don't think you'd regret staying at the campground, but I'm a little biased. You might not be able to get those waffles for breakfast, but we've had some darn tasty meals down there and many of us just drink our breakfast anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Update

Hey Davis,

Just wanted to let you know that the majority of my group preferred the cabin thing, so that's what we're doing. We're staying at one of the ERTC units, so we won't be too far from y'all. I think it would be nice if we could meet up with you guys one morning for a nice ride. We can work it out as we get closer, but it's good to put the bug in your ear now.

Thanks again for all of your help. It looks like we're all going to have a blast.

Jeremy

Members who have read this thread: 0