Planning a trip - HELP!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

New question here. Planning a trip - HELP!

I'm planning a trip to Virginia and/or West Virginia this fall with a few freinds. I was thinking about late September or early October (for a week or two).
    I bought a book "Mountain Bike! Virginia" and have been leafing through it looking for interesting trails but with the state of land closures in the USA all the info could be obsolete already.

Are there any decent websites one could recommend?
    Clubs or shops to contact?
    A "best spot" to find accomodations and ride trails from? Or will we have to travel all over?

The riders in question are intermediate levels. We all love a good climb but not as much as a descent. We're all from good old flat Ontario where the hills are small and the roots a-plenty.

Thanks in advance for whatever help is offered.
    this space left intentionally blank

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    I'm planning a trip to Virginia and/or West Virginia this fall with a few freinds. I was thinking about late September or early October (for a week or two).
    I bought a book "Mountain Bike! Virginia" and have been leafing through it looking for interesting trails but with the state of land closures in the USA all the info could be obsolete already.

A "best spot" to find accomodations and ride trails from? Or will we have to travel all over?

The riders in question are intermediate levels. We all love a good climb but not as much as a descent. We're all from good old flat Ontario where the hills are small and the roots a-plenty.

I've got that book, and I think it's reasonably up to date. I don't think VA has quite the same level of land-use problems/user conflicts as some other parts of the country. In the DC area, you might like Fountainhead (hilly, roots & rocks). I've never been there, but Patapsco, in Maryland, might be worth a look-see. George Washington National Forest is supposed to be awfully nice as well. Check out http://www.more-mtb.org/ and the MTBR review boards for more detailed info.

Sorry, I know next to nothing nothing about W. Va (except for a few tasteless inbred hillbilly jokes ). It supposedly has some of the best riding East of the Rockies.

Good luck!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Some of the best and hilliest riding in Virginia (that I've experienced) is in and around Harrisonburg and the George Washington National Forest. Check these links out:

http://www.mtntouring.com/ - as the name suggests, they do tours. Also, the owner of it is supercool. He may be able to point you into the right direction.

Also, ask on the MORE message board, the local Mt Bike/trail advocacy group. You should be able to get good recommendos from there as well - www.more-mtb.org

Quote Originally Posted by SSteel

I am the owl
    Only have a minute, but for VA, check out the George Washington National Forest, around 1 million acres of the finest MTB riding around and almost all open to bikes. The area west of Harrisonburg is a great place to use as your base. Free primitive camping in most areas without a permit. Campsites w/ showers for a low cost at Todd Lake. Grap a map and start researching.

Some general info:
    http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/gwj/

These guys can help you out:
    www.mtntouring.com
    www.shenandoahbicycle.com
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Jan 2004
    September and October are the best time to ride this area as it's not too hot and not too cool. The leaves have turned color with many of them on the groud hiding a root or rock. Mountain Biking VA is a pretty up to date book, but many trails have been created and are not included. It is most helpful for directions to the trailhead. The GWNF has some of the best riding in the area with tons of trails to explore. It is probably best to hire a guide or tour to maximize your time on the best trails and not getting lost. There are many places to camp and some of the nicest BnB's around. http://www.more-mtb.org/ is a good place to start. If your in the city site seeing, we can suggest different trails that will be closer.

I have limited experience in WV and have only ridden at Coopers Rock, Morgantown, Shoe Shoe, and Canaan Valley. All of which have fantastic trails. Hopefully someone else can provide you with more info.
    http://www.bicyclewv.com/tours.cfm
    http://www.wvmba.com/

Accross the boarder/Ohio River is a place called Wayne National Forest that has several hundred miles of maintained trails. Lots of riding and not much else.
    http://www.mountainzone.com/trails/a...0104BC9463C%7D

Hope this helps your research. Happy reading.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks guys.
    Maybe I'll see some of you in the fall.
    this space left intentionally blank