Pics from a weekend of riding in WV (X-post)- Mtbr.com
    Because I am !

Pics from a weekend of riding in WV (X-post)

X-Post from Passion. No big story line, just Lots of Pics of our
    rides near Davis and Canaan Valley WV.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...65#post3281765

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

spooge is gone!
    outdoornut, do live in the Parkersburg area?

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by spooge
    outdoornut, do live in the Parkersburg area?
    Yep, sure do.

ODN

mtbr member
    ODN: Great post. I enjoy all your posts - just love that WVA riding. I was just riding in CVSP this past Saturday and Sunday morning too. There are a couple nice easy loops through there: Back Hollow, Middle Ridge, and Club Run - makes a nice 9 miler. Good for a morning workout. Haven't done the park-to-park yet. What's your recommendation for riding direction?

Repo

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman
    ODN: Great post. I enjoy all your posts - just love that WVA riding. I was just riding in CVSP this past Saturday and Sunday morning too. There are a couple nice easy loops through there: Back Hollow, Middle Ridge, and Club Run - makes a nice 9 miler. Good for a morning workout. Haven't done the park-to-park yet. What's your recommendation for riding direction?

Repo
    Sorry we missed you out there. You have to use Middle Ridge to get to the portion of
    the Allegheny that is open to bikes. If you don't have a shuttle, which was our case,
    then you will definately want to ride it from CVSP back toward Blackwater Falls IMHO.
    At least my son and I both agreed that 2/3 to 3/4 mile climb after getting on the Allegheny
    would be better done while we were fresh. As it would be, it worked out great that way.
    Plus it is an awesome downhill on the way back.

ODN

spooge is gone!
    outdoornut-would like to hook up sometime to ride. I live about 30 min south and ride by myself a lot at Mountwood and other areas.

mtbr member
    ODN: How many miles was your ride out and back - and where was your turnaround? I've explored out the Allegheny a mile or so out from Middleridge - that sure is a fun downhill back down to CVSP.

I tried Big Bear about a month ago, based on your first thread about that ride. I really love that place. The technical terrain there is so much fun. That is my kind of riding. Anything else similar in the CV vicinity you would recommend?

Repo

the unvarnished nonsense
    ODN, NIce pics! Looks like you and Malibu had a good time back in CV. Just got home ourselves. Here's a teaser of what we were riding last week:

"Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ODN: Looks like you all had a great time! I'm getting ready to rebuild my wheel soon!

Davis: looks like fun. I'll have to make it there sometime!

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by spooge
    outdoornut-would like to hook up sometime to ride. I live about 30 min south and ride by myself a lot at Mountwood and other areas.
    Sure..... Scott24 and I attempt to ride at Mountwood every wednesday evening with the
    group ride, however we've been vacationing and then the weather hasn't been great on
    a couple of the Wednesdays so we just go when the weather looks good. As you can
    see, we usually take off on the weekends and go somewhere to ride. Shoot me a PM
    whenever you plan on coming up this way and I'll see how it looks so we can get in a ride.

ODN

Edit: PS, I can always shoot you a PM when we plan on going somewhere to ride. You'd be
    more than welcome to meet up and ride. I know I don't like riding alone. Too many things
    can happen, especially some of the places we ride.
    Last edited by outdoornut; 07-11-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Because I am !
    ODN: How many miles was your ride out and back - and where was your turnaround?
    I can only guess at mileage. I lost so many of those darn computers in the rocky stuff
    we ride that I quite using them. By the maps I looked at before the ride, we estimated
    the distance from CVSP lodge to Canaan Loop Rd. to be around 7 miles. We then rode
    up Canaan Loop Rd.(CLR), took a left on Davis Trail (still Allegheny trail) and rode that to
    Plantation, took a left, rode that to the next intersection (sign was destroyed) but map
    said it was Fire Trail # 6, took a left on it which comes back out on CLR, took a left and
    then back down Park to Park. I'm guessing the little loop added about another 3 1/2
    miles to it. I've been down the portion of Davis trail into Blackwater Falls and it's not
    fun to come back on. You can do so many different routes in there.

I tried Big Bear about a month ago, based on your first thread about that ride. I really love that place. The technical terrain there is so much fun. That is my kind of riding. Anything else similar in the CV vicinity you would recommend?Repo
    Have you ever ridden any of the trails inside the Canaan Loop Rd. area? Plantation trail,
    Davis trail, Fire trails, Lindy Run, etc. etc. Lots of technical stuff in there. Also over off
    Camp70 Rd. near Davis on the Canaan Valley Institute properties there are a bunch of
    trails with the most fun being HooDoo Rocks and Moonrocks. They are not marked
    real well but easy to follow once you find the trail. Moonrocks nearly requires a guide
    through there. See the maps I posted in the trails section (Davis/Canaan XC Course).
    They have even added a new trail off the HooDoo Rocks trail to keep you off of Camp70
    Rd.

ODN

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    ODN, NIce pics! Looks like you and Malibu had a good time back in CV. Just got home ourselves. Here's a teaser of what we were riding last week:

Thanks davis, however you are the luck dog.................! Awesome picture. You better
    get some of those posted.

ODN

mtbr member
    I've ridden Plantation once. I thought it was a lot more rugged than Big Bear and difficult to ride fast at my skill level. I've also ridden over by CVI once. Didn't have a clue on Moonrocks, missed a turn to Hoodoo Rocks and rode a bog instead. I know I need to go back there and ride it right this summer.

Repo

Because I am !
    I've ridden Plantation once. I thought it was a lot more rugged than Big Bear and difficult to ride fast at my skill level. I've also ridden over by CVI once. Didn't have a clue on Moonrocks, missed a turn to Hoodoo Rocks and rode a bog instead. I know I need to go back there and ride it right this summer.

Repo
    Well, the section of the Park to Park up next to Canaan Loop Rd. is mighty rocky and
    rooty. Scott24 and I both believe it is more difficult in about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile section
    than Plantation. However, it's only that top section. We don't ride that stuff fast either,
    it's more a challenge to see if we can get through it without putting a foot down or worse,
    crashing, . I didn't get that "OTB with Style" for nothing. Anyway, I'm sure you
    would enjoy it. Especially the trip back toward CV. We'll have to meet there for a ride
    sometime. Scott24 said he want's to ride it again soon. We could always ride it one
    day and catch the Moonrock area another. We usually go up there somewhere and
    throw up a tent for the weekend. I'll shoot you a PM next time we plan that or you
    can PM me if you plan on going there some weekend. If things work out, we'd be
    glad to give you a guided tour of one or both.

ODN

mtbr member
    Mighty nice of you to offer a tour! I'd like to take you up on it soon. We have a place up in Canaan, so we are there regularly on the weekends pretty much year-round. My wife doesn't ride, and my daughter is still pretty young, so I get my rides in the early AM on the so as to not interfere with family stuff.

I used to ride Timberline a lot (but it's pretty well torn up by ATV and Horses now) so I do lots of loops over at the state park. I do get up there a couple times a year solo - those would be the best weekends for a Tour-de-Canaan.

Next time I'm solo, I will shoot you a pm and see if we can hook up. Not adverse to traveling further afield either. Big Bear was a great call. I'm interested to see if there is any good singletrack up near Deep Creek Lake that would be worth a day trip. Anyway, thanks again. Love to see your son ripping it up. I hope someday my girl will do the same.

Later, Repo

Members who have read this thread: 0