Patapsco Valley State Park- Mtbr.com
    alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Patapsco Valley State Park

Will be in DC area next weekend and hope to hit the Patapsco Valley trails (Avalon area). Looking for recommendations of trails to hit for intermediate riders. Like mix of flow and tech.

Any suggestions?

thx

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by alh View Post
    Will be in DC area next weekend and hope to hit the Patapsco Valley trails (Avalon area). Looking for recommendations of trails to hit for intermediate riders. Like mix of flow and tech.

Any suggestions?

thx
    Lots of options and intersections, so I'd suggest downloading a route or at least a map. This route gives a pretty good flavor of things. I'd add a few extras in if I was leading a ride, but this is a good starting point.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/702...-patapsco-loop

Edit:
    This is more along the lines of what I would recommend if you have the time.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7002269
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Might be worth your time to check out the Patapsco Mountain biker page on Facebook. Once you join there are a few maps loaded on that page in the Doc tab

If you want to ride with others and not think I'm pretty sure Tuesdays there is are group rides from the CCBC parking lot at 6pm, Wednesday from Rockburn Elementary school at 6pm, and Thursday at Rockburn at 6pm as well.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the info fellas, much appreciated.

@riderx, like the 2 loops you highlighted. Is the start/stop by the Rockburn Bike Skills Park area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Lots of options and intersections, so I'd suggest downloading a route or at least a map. This route gives a pretty good flavor of things. I'd add a few extras in if I was leading a ride, but this is a good starting point.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/702...-patapsco-loop

Edit:
    This is more along the lines of what I would recommend if you have the time.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7002269
    These are both good routes.
    Just one suggestion--You can ride up Garretts Pass per the one route provided which I do occasionally, but it is a whole lot more fun going down....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballGuy View Post
    These are both good routes.
    Just one suggestion--You can ride up Garretts Pass per the one route provided which I do occasionally, but it is a whole lot more fun going down....
    I've seen people do this, I just figured they were dropped on their heads at a young age.

put another way: if you chose to ride up Garrett, please keep your eyes up for people coming fast in the correct direction.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I've been nearly run into going up some narrow singletracks while another was bombing down it. No joy. But those trails are considered bidrectional. Somewhere I heard that Patapsco trails truly are one direction only? So if you decide to go in for the loop, you are committing to that loop?

mtbr member
    Yes if you ride up watch out as Joules stated. None of PTAP is directional but there are some trails that are ridden mostly in one direction such as garretts or drugs trail. So no you are not committed. Enjoy and go early, it gets crowded with hikers and horses in the afternoon, especially Cascade trail.

mtbr member
    I'll back off on saying it's wrong to ride up Garrett; I thought about it a little more... My thought was that Cascade starts and ends at the same place, and isn't much fun going down. On the other hand, the 2 technical spots that, going down, are too short to be really fun, can be pretty challenging going up. Where Garrett is non-technical the whole way. Just be aware, from where it crosses bike buster to where it crossed rootball (RIP) is REALLY fast.

Keeping your eyes up is good advice in general somewhere as crowded as p-tap.

mtbr member
    OP won't know where bikebuster or rootball (RIP!) is since those are slang trail terms the locals use, suffice it to say there is a 1/2mile stretch you can bomb down on Garretts.
    If you want to ride with a group, the guys I ride with--MVD Mountainbikers --are doing an 18miler on sat leaving at 9am from Rockburn (details on their meetup page) I won't be there but tell them Old Skool sent you if you do

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thx again for the replies guys. Unfortunately our trip got canceled. We were heading for Highland Park this weekend and then Patapsco later in the week. But weather at Highland rots this weekend (most of the NE actually) so we decided to push it into mid-week which leaves no time for Patapsco. We'll make it down there one day for sure, but not next week. But sure am looking forward to Highland Bike Park!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    We're heading to do Patapsco for the first time Monday. Where's the best place to park? Also our anniversary, so we'll want to go to dinner after the ride. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be fancy but interesting and good.

mtbr member
    You can go through the main gate & pay (yea i'm not doing that), or i would suggest either CCBC or Rockburn park. I wouldn't trust the Park & Ride at 95/ Rolling Rd or at Landing rd., cars have been broken into at both. Don't know about food, i just ride their trails and skip town...

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    We're heading to do Patapsco for the first time Monday. Where's the best place to park? Also our anniversary, so we'll want to go to dinner after the ride. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be fancy but interesting and good.
    Patapsco has a lot of trails and intersections, so I'd suggest picking a route and parking based on that (https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...ley-state-park). Entrance fee is only $2 on Monday ($4 if you are out of state) or there are a few places to park outside of the park.

For food, in Catonsville try Catonsville Gourmet for a good meal, lots of seafood options. It is BYOB so pick up beer or wine (there's a place across the street). Old town Ellicott City has some good options too if you are headed in that direction.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Patapsco has a lot of trails and intersections, so I'd suggest picking a route and parking based on that (https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...ley-state-park). Entrance fee is only $2 on Monday ($4 if you are out of state) or there are a few places to park outside of the park.

For food, in Catonsville try Catonsville Gourmet for a good meal, lots of seafood options. It is BYOB so pick up beer or wine (there's a place across the street). Old town Ellicott City has some good options too if you are headed in that direction.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm looking on MTB app, but not clear on where to ride. Don't want to ride just smooth trails, but the wife is still getting her feet wet on technical stuff. She finds Schaeffer easy and but still walking a lot at the Watershead. With that information. Should we be looking at Upper,middle, or lower areas.

I am the owl
    I'm looking on MTB app, but not clear on where to ride. Don't want to ride just smooth trails, but the wife is still getting her feet wet on technical stuff. She finds Schaeffer easy and but still walking a lot at the Watershead. With that information. Should we be looking at Upper,middle, or lower areas.
    Generally speaking, Patapsco will be harder than Schaeffer in terms of technical and climbing and it will be way easier than the Watershed. In terms of technical riding, there is very little difference between Upper, middle and lower areas of Patapsco. Do a ride in any of those areas and you'll get a mix of fast and smooth, roots and the occasional rocks. Avalon (lower) will give the most options for loops - it has the highest concentration of trails. It is also the busiest, but I would not worry about that during the week. Upper (Marriottsville area) is my least favorite, but it's still fun. The middle has been built out a lot in the last few years and offers a lot of excellent trail.

Pick something that looks interesting, I doubt you will be disappointed, Patapsco has a great trail network.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks! We rode Avalon area. This had the perfect amount of technical and climbs for her to get a good rife in. Well definitely be back. And thank you for the suggestion for Catonsville Gourmet. It was a perfect experience

I am the owl
    Thanks! We rode Avalon area. This had the perfect amount of technical and climbs for her to get a good rife in. Well definitely be back. And thank you for the suggestion for Catonsville Gourmet. It was a perfect experience
    Awesome, glad it worked out for you!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com