Patapsco Sunday Slackers- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

Patapsco Sunday Slackers

Great ride guys. Hope this link works. Let me know if it doesn't and I can get email addresses and send you an invite.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...idge/590697476

Sep 2007
    Wow, you guys really are slackers. 53 views on this thread and not one of them from any of you who were on the ride. hehehehe
    Anyway, lets see if this image works.

mtbr member
    plans for this weekend? . . . i hope to ride both saturday & sunday.

mtbr member
    I would love to join you guys, but unfortunately I'll be busy getting sunbun in Mexico this weekend

Have fun you guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos
    Wow, you guys really are slackers. 53 views on this thread and not one of them from any of you who were on the ride. hehehehe
    Anyway, lets see if this image works.
    That was very relaxing and enjoyable ride. I'm hoping to have better winter gear for next time. I really thought my toes were gonna fall off.

Masher

Remember me?

No tailgate this sunday so I think I can ride. Haven't been on the trails in weeks and am dying to get out there. If this isn't the right thread PM any details so I don't have to go out on my own.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9911
    I would love to join you guys, but unfortunately I'll be busy getting sunbun in Mexico this weekend

Have fun you guys.
    Oh you dog!!! Oh, sorry, it's Cat, right? What part of Mexico? I live for trips to Riviera Maya (Playa del Carmen)..

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clymberboy
    plans for this weekend? . . . i hope to ride both saturday & sunday.
    I think so. Of course it depends on the weather, but I don't think they are calling for any rain.

Just so you know, we are called Sunday Slackers for a reason. We start at like 8:30, ride pretty slow and take lots of breaks. We have been meeting at the trailhead on Rolling Road, across from the Park and Ride, but you can probably tell that from the photo. BTW, If you look at the picture of this past weeks ride, we started at the Rolling Road trailhead, did the long swooping downhill to the parking lot at the bottom of the two stage climb, followed the road arounf to the fire road climb and then did the horse farm loop working clockwise around the photo. When we come off the trail and back onto the road, we are a short distance from the swinging bridge, across the bridge, and then a leisurely cool down ride on the paved trail along the river and back up to the parking lot at the bottom of the two stage climb. From there its the climbout to Rolling Road. We don't always do the Horse farm loop, but the distance always 9-10 miles total.

Jim and I were talking last night, and I was bouncing an idea off of him and he seemed to agree with the idea. My thought was that we would be a group for beginners and people looking for a slightly slower pace. Of course with a no drop policy. I know all the ride groups are pretty much no drop, but I still remember my first time out with your Tuesday afternoon group, and feeling like I was really holding you guys back. I like to think I am riding better now, but I still don't think I could keep up with that pace. Still a fair bit of uphill pushing. I only mention this because i don't want to ruin anyones day by letting them have high expectations.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 11-28-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    No tailgate this sunday so I think I can ride. Haven't been on the trails in weeks and am dying to get out there. If this isn't the right thread PM any details so I don't have to go out on my own.
    Mister C, were you the other guy that was with the Tuesday afternoon group that day in August when I thought you were going to have to build a sled to drag my lifeless body out of the woods? hehehe I remember it was Chris and Clymberboy and one other but the name escapes me. Heck, I'm lucky I remember any of that afternoon.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 11-29-2007 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Kev,
    I don't know what happened to you from the first time we all rode together, but you are not the same rider from few months back.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9911
    Kev,
    I don't know what happened to you from the first time we all rode together, but you are not the same rider from few months back.
    Thanks. I appreciate the thought. I still feel like I have a long way to go, but I can thank the Grasshopper for everything he has taught me. I guess the biggest thing is that I seem to have the passion to want to keep plugging away at it. I also think the new bike helped alot. Not exactly sure how, but it must be playing a part somehow.

Sep 2007
    We'll have to keep an eye on the weather for Sunday. I hear they are calling for rain and/or snow in the morning and turning to all rain in the afternoon. 70%. Last time the weather looked iffy, we still went, but Grasshopper sez "We'll take a shorter loop in case the weather gets bad. We'll do the two-stage climb" ARRRRRRGH. Still not exactly sure how I made it, but that downhill after the climb sure made the climb worth it.

mtbr member
    mmont0 & i are riding saturday morning, rockburn lot 730. we'll have to come up with a clever name for us ambitious early morning saturday riders

if i can work it out, i may ride with you slackers on sunday, weather permitting.

Sep 2007
    mmont0 & i are riding saturday morning, rockburn lot 730. we'll have to come up with a clever name for us ambitious early morning saturday riders
    For a name, how about the "Patapsco Crazy To Be Up So Early On A Saturday Ride Group". hehehe That would fill up the back of a riding jersey.

Sep 2007

if i can work it out, i may ride with you slackers on sunday, weather permitting.
    Hey, watch out for M&M, I think he's got the passion now that he's got that sweet ride.

mtbr member
    I'm goin' out on the FIXY Saturday mornin' at 8am to check out the new GPS. So I won't make it. Sunday don't look promising???? I will be there if it is dry though!!!!

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fatgrasshopper
    I'm goin' out on the FIXY Saturday mornin' at 8am to check out the new GPS. So I won't make it. Sunday don't look promising???? I will be there if it is dry though!!!!
    I didn't think grasshoppers were affected by a little water.

mtbr member
    Kev called last nite and bailed. I am gonna hit the road bike today again because it looks like rain before we would have finished the slacker ride. Sorry for the late notice

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fatgrasshopper
    Kev called last nite and bailed. I am gonna hit the road bike today again because it looks like rain before we would have finished the slacker ride. Sorry for the late notice
    Yeah. Sorry about that. I was sorta OBE (Overcome By Events). Ticked me off as well when I got up this morning and saw that the day was exactly what I expected it to be, which is cloudy and cold but fine for the ride. I'm back at the homestead now, so I missed the ride for nothing basically.I think fatgrasshopper is away next weekend, but if there are any other slackers that want to ride, I'll probably be up for it.

mtbr member
    clymber and I were out last Sunday @7:30. It started to drizzle a little but it stopped by the time we went back to the car. I pooped out early so he gave me a choice of taking the long route or the short route. You can guess what I chose. We only did about 7.5 miles in 90min.

I think this week I will be able to hold out longer since I was riding my old 21 speed with no suspension last week. I was working on the new one replacing all the rusted parts. Got the granny gear 11-34 cassette on there, so I should be better off now.

I also can't do the 8:30 ride since I got home about 12:00 which was cutting it very close for church as well as the wife's tolerance.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mmont0
    clymber and I were out last Sunday @7:30. It started to drizzle a little but it stopped by the time we went back to the car. I pooped out early so he gave me a choice of taking the long route or the short route. You can guess what I chose. We only did about 7.5 miles in 90min.

I think this week I will be able to hold out longer since I was riding my old 21 speed with no suspension last week. I was working on the new one replacing all the rusted parts. Got the granny gear 11-34 cassette on there, so I should be better off now.

I also can't do the 8:30 ride since I got home about 12:00 which was cutting it very close for church as well as the wife's tolerance.
    So what do you think was the biggest factor for pooping out early? The bike or the pace? You were doing pretty darn good when you were with us. I don't think I saw you pushing your bike much. I know Clymber can set a mean pace on that big wheeled beast, but that impression is from the day I thought I was going to die while trying to keep up, so my perception may be a tad off. Also, I heard that your old hardtail probably weighs in about 20 pounds heavier than your sweet Stumper.

mtbr member
    I think it was the lack of sleep. I woke up twice that night. And waking up at 6:45 didn't help much either. I'll have to go to sleep a bit earlier the night before biking. I need to try to keep up clymber's pace if I'm going to get any better. I feel like I keep holding him back since he's always waiting for me. I usually only rest until I catch my breath and then keep going so he doesn't get too cold . If I can't do a climb I keep on walking instead of resting at the bottom as well. I'm sure the new bike will probably help also.

I'm actually used to my old bike more than I am with the new one. I just have to get used to riding the full suspension and make adjustments as I ride it more. The time I went out with you guys I fishtailed a few times on the leaves since I was applying my rear brake a little too hard and actually fell. Luckily only chris saw me fall.

The hardtail weighs in at around 33 lbs. With no suspension whatsoever. chris was amazed how much it weighed the first time he lifted it. It's nice and solid and haven't had any problems with it for 2 years. Only that the chain bent which was my fault for lack of lubrication. I haven't weighed the new one yet, but I'm sure it's around the 28-30 lb mark with full suspension. I liked carrying it when I walked. Too bad my arms won't get much of a workout now!

Sep 2007

Delta7

Oh man, you guys have GOT to check this out.

http://delta7sports.com/

Thought I would share it here first. Did a search but couldn't find anything on this site about these frames. I think that if I saw one on the trail, I would fall off my bike.

** EDIT ** It has been pointed out to me in the "Bike and Frame" thread that there is already an extensive posting on this thing. Not sure why I couldn't find it with the search function.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 12-07-2007 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool design until it gets dirty!!!! I would bet it is a beatch to clean. The 2.4lbs would be 10 more on a muddy day . Just my thoughts

Members who have read this thread: 0