Patapsco New Year's Day Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Patapsco New Year's Day Ride

It was a great New Year's Day ride. The day started out in the upper 20s deg F but we quickly warmed up once we hit a few of the climbs. Trail conditions were great. Hard packed and the muddy spots were pretty much frozen except for some areas near the stream crossings. My front derailleur had frozen after one of the crossings so it was granny gear for me for the rest of the ride (felt like a gerbil spinning on a wheel when I had to ride on Landing Rd going home).

It was nice meeting those of you who I have not met before. Here's wishing all of you a great New Year and looking forward to many more rides this year.

mtbr member
    Some pics from today's ride:

Were you guys doing the pledge of allegiance or just holding your stomach after a good snack

Sweeper
    Great ride today! I forgot to reset my computer but it looks like about 16 miles. Hopefully next time my rear derailleur will be adjusted correctly and stay in a gear when climbing. How annoying!

Good to meet you Eujinc!

mtbr member
    HAHAHAHA No thats the Napolean Salute!!! HAHAHAHAHA I think half the problem today was also the ice on the deraileur...my front one wouldn't drop down 3 times...sure was a good ride today...thanks for showing how to drop off the BIG step down Nate by the creek before heading across it...(at the bathroom parking lot bottom of Soapstone)...saw you do it and Sanders yelled out to me to "go for it, Ed" so I just had to...was very happy with myself, always thought of doing that just never figured I could, but piece of cake, going to have to do it everytime now...Speaking of Nate...did you guys see him climb up over that log near the top of the Cascade blue trail which is ALWAYS used as a jump going down, well damn he went up it so easy, awesome looking skills Nate....

Going down the New Nuns DH was very cool...loved the jump at the 2 logs with the rock in the middle...really got some distance on that....and Nate I hope your buddy's (sorry bad with names) calf is getting better, I've had that happen once before and damn it felt bruised for days....hope it's going to be okay...

Crackerass, man I hope your bike is cool..come join us for some good times on Saturday...how about we all meet up say 10am at the hwy 32 /Intersatate70 park & ride...Smitty, YA GOTTA GO YOUNG MAN!!!!! Jason bring your Jekly for some crazy DHing...

Great way to kick off the New Year today, thanks all!!!

Ed

Cracker
    dam you wouldnt believe it my shifters not broken
    i guess the bolt holding the cable came lose DUH didnt see it
    felt pretty stupid but dont need a new shifter
    staurday huh
    smitty u going?

Bicycle rider
    Glad you all had a great time. Wish I could have made it. My Electric finally came on around 3:45 this afternoon. 29 hours w/o power sucked!

mtbr member
    Geez instead of sitting at home in the cold you should have come out riding...probably would have been warmer ...glad it finally came back, so what was the prob? downed trees? miss payment on your bill? hahahaha, sorry had to say it before someone else got to...
    You going up to Gambrills on Sat?

Mayor ride in the early AM, then going for a ride up to Gambrills to scout out the DH stuff, the wifes going with me, we'll do some hiking...

Ed

I heard you swear...
    Today was sweet! Had an excellent time as always, beautiful weather and cool people, doesn't get much better than that. Nate, you were killing it on that bike! quite a pleasure to watch you tear up some hills on that thing. Cool meeting all that I haven't met before, good bunch of guys in the area here.

Thanks for the lunch Ed! you tore up that drop, we'll get you on some bigger stuff at wisp for SURE.

-sander

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Geez instead of sitting at home in the cold you should have come out riding...probably would have been warmer ...glad it finally came back, so what was the prob? downed trees? miss payment on your bill? hahahaha, sorry had to say it before someone else got to...
    You going up to Gambrills on Sat?

Mayor ride in the early AM, then going for a ride up to Gambrills to scout out the DH stuff, the wifes going with me, we'll do some hiking...

Ed
    Downed trees from all the wind we had on Wednessday morning!

mtbr member
    Oh my gosh downed trees...always seems to be that, someday it will all be buried...there were a couple new downed trees on the trails too...
    Roll Call, who's in tomorrow? 10am P and R c-ya all there...headin out right now to go scout the trails.
    Ed

Bicycle rider
    Roll Call for Gambrill tomorrow? If so, is anyone riding XC or want to ride XC with me while the DH'ers play?

I heard you swear...
    In!

mtbr member
    Ed here...I'm DHing, went up there with the wife and found the locations on both sides of hamburg for the start and finish of a couple DH runs, the end of the one from the Comcast tower I took a picture of, way steep!!!!...I'll post up the pictures in a few minutes... Jason you should do some of this to practice...

mtbr member

Here are some shots at the bottom at Hamburg Rd...This is a nice VERY steep finish!!!

mtbr member
    Well the Rig didn't sell for the third try, so it now gets stripped...those AWESOME brakes are going on the perp Sunday along with the Thompson Masterpiece Stem/seat...and the bars, stem, headset, pedals and I-9 rims are going on my Jet which now will have to take probably another 3 weeks to get...as for the frame, who knows what to do with that, I'll see.

Bicycle rider
    I will attend with my cousin in tow. Will probably not DH but instead XC. Maybe do one DH and then break off and XC. Will either ride Shed or Gambrill side… not sure yet. Anyone else want to XC with us?

Who else is going besides Sanders and Ed?

On another note I did a quick Patapsco ride today. Trails are in good condition. It appears someone has been digging out rocks on our trails If you are doing this and reading this post PLEASE STOP. WE LIKE ROCKS

mtbr member
    Oh my God someone is "SMOOTHING" out our trials!!! Go ride the Apshalt fool, we ride Mountian Bikes to ride trails "naturally"...we are actually the 15% that use our bikes for what there built for...

Jason, "maybes" could be Smitty and Crackerass...
    10am at the P&R hwy 32 and 70

mtbr member
    Here is one for ya Sanders...Is this how we going to do it this Spring/Summer?

Sweeper
    You lucky guys!

I have great news! I only have to work until 1130 am!! But you guys will be gone by then!

I will be riding Patapsco all afternoon if anyone is interested. The trails are in great shape! Cant wait to get out. Low to mid 40's means the Derailluers may not be froozen so often tomorrow!

Cracker
    what time u starting out

Sweeper
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker
    what time u starting out

Noon would be a good guess. Should give me time to get home and suit up...

mtbr member
    ahhhh so close...jump in the truck and fly up there...

Sweeper
    Wish I could Ed. I think from my house it would take at least an hour to get there and I have not been in so long and did not drive last time I have no clue how to get there anywho.

You guys have fun and cant wait to see the pics and vids!

Tomorrow looks like the rain is going to hold off till the evening. I am going to ride at 10am in Patapsco. Have to stay close by and go watch the game at a freinds house. Anyone else want to ride for a 2-3 hours?
    Last edited by WeatherMan; 01-03-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Bicycle rider
    Just got back. The ride today was great! My cousin did well for his first Gambrill exp. He had a flat and of course his spare tube also had a hole in it. Luckily we had a patch (which still leaked) but made it out fine.

Smitty, I can probably ride at 10 tomorrow for 2 hours. Where do you want to meet?

Sweeper
    Jason,

I ride my bike from home and drop in at the Park N Ride. Looks like a few others may want to ride including a racer from the Fredrick area.

Can you meet at the Park n Ride at 10am?

Ed, Sander, EujinC, Thecrackerasscracker?

Cracker
    ill ride
    10 am it is
    what about ed

Sweeper
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker
    ill ride
    10 am it is
    what about ed
    If Ed is not posting pics or vids he most not be home yet! LOL... I am sure he will be on soon. I would think he would ride tomorrow for a short 2 hours.

I heard you swear...
    Amazing. The watershed is SO excellent. Ed took some good pics and apparently a video of some of us. Ed tore it up!

mtbr member
    IT WAS FRIGGIN INCREDIBLE...I'M IN LOVE WITH BIKING AGAIN...ESPECIALLY DH...OH...MY...GOD...IT'S LIKE HEAVEN...SPEED, MORE SPEED, IT HANDLES THE SPEED, BUMPS, LITTLE BIT BIGGER BUMPS, NOW SOME JUMPS, ONE FOOT RISE, TWO FOOT RISE, THREE FOOT RISE, DAMN FOUR FOOT RISE AND STILL HITTING LIKE IT JUST JUMPED A CURB, THIS SHI* IS GOING TO ROCK THIS YEAR!!!! BEST OF ALL AFTER ALL THAT RUSH, YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM AND WHAM-A-JAMA A TRUCK IS WAITING TO SHUTTLE YA BACK UP...HOW COOL IS THAT, NO LUNG BUSTING HEART POPPING CLIMBS, WOW!!!! CAN I HEAR YA ALL SAY WOW!!! THIS IS ABOUT AS PUMPED UP AS MY HEART GOT TODAY...ONLY INSTEAD OF FROM STRAIN, IT WAS FROM EXCITMENT!!!!! WATCH OUT SANDERS, GET READY FOR WEEKEND ROAD TRIPS....

THE VIDEO IS COOL...IT WAS SAVED AS QUICKTIME AND MY FLICKR CANT UPLOAD IT SO I'LL TRY TO UPLOAD IT TO YOUTUBE THEN GET THE PROPERTIES FROM THERE...UNLESS YOU COMPUTER WHIZ KIDS CAN TELL ME A DIFFERENT WAY...

mtbr member
    Okay here is the link to youtube with the almost one minute video off my phone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91PGVH6eLc

This is so steep too...the first one is approx. 2', then ya blast down to a berm, then the second jump is apprx. 3-4' then ya hit a little 1-2 fotter right before a culvert...you land just at the top of the culvert, then drop down in it...come up the other side...BUT...be careful either have a butt load of speed to come out hitting the top of a "step-up" otherwise brake as you are coming out and go to the side of the step-up...cause if you go to slow coming out like I did...I had air but only enough to "PUNCH" the up ramp on the step-up, which sent me flying into the pit hole off to the side...BUT...damn all this rotective gear is great...jumped right up nothing sore, or better yet no blood...On the big jump in the middle, the first time down Sanders lost his feet and whew looked like he was going to make love to a tree, but being as skilled as he is..he missed it by his third & fourth hit he was "SKYING" off it...the man got skill!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0