From ORAMM to DC…- Mtbr.com

May 2004

From ORAMM to DC…

I will be heading to DC after ORAMM with my fiancé. We will be leaving Marion on Monday and want to get some riding in on Tuesday. She won’t be riding ORAMM and is a beginner/intermediate. What would be a good place to ride along the way somewhere in Virginia? It should be either EASY single track (easy as in not technical) or some FSR riding. Somewhere around 30 miles. The route can have some climbing but as I said it shouldn’t be technical at all. Any suggestions?

I am the owl
    Check this article. Best bets will probably be Wakefield or Rosaryville (short detour on your way) for easy singletrack but you won't see the mileage you are looking for. If you want to drive a little Schaeffer Farms in MD is smooth rolling singletrack and Patapsco up near Balto. gets a little more advanced. Also check the resources at MORE

The C&O Canal is a flat, dirt and gravel scenic bike path that goes straight out of DC for 180+ miles. Close to the city it is crowded and smoother, further out it is quite and bumpier. Nice riding but it's not mountain biking.

FSR? Drawing a blank, can you define?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Coming North on I-81?

A couple of areas come to mind if you are coming up I-81 (via I-77 or I-26). Carvins Cove at Roanoke has some beginner / intermediate single track around the lake. 3 or 4 really nice trails which connect in to the road that goes along the lake. Take Hi-De Hoe Trail from the parking lot to the new Connector Trail (also nice IMBA type trail not on map yet). This puts you out on the Fire Road AKA 1000 ft Climb. If you take a left on the fire road it takes you down to the Lake and the trails mentioned above. If you take a right it is the 1000 foot climb that takes you to to all the trails you do not want to take your girlfriend on (Clownhead, Gauntlet, Hi-De Hoe,Trough, Buck). You can ride that road 5-6 miles out for a pretty nice ridgetop ride. Exit I-81 at exit 140, turn left on Rt 311. Turn left at light continuing on Rt 311. About 1 mile on right is Just the Right Gear bike shop. Stop there and get a map and the permit ($3). Those guys can give you all the info you need.

The other area that comes to mind for quick access to the interstate is the Arcadia area. Take the Arcadia exit (168 I think) just north of Buchannan. Go right on Arcadia Road and cross the James River. Continue on Arcadia Road which follows Jennings Creek. Forest Service Roads branch off on the left side. North Creek is particularly nice but the whole area is quite beautiful. Several roads go all the way up to the Parkway. Some pretty cool trails in the area (most of which connect into the Glenwood Horse Trail), but most are not beginner / intermediate. Most trails are more advanced and not particularly well maintained or marked. But a beautiful area which I would recommend for Forest Service Road riding. Within 10 minutes of the interstate.

Members who have read this thread: 0