NPS proposes MTB trails along Blue Ridge Parkway- Mtbr.com
    CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

NPS proposes MTB trails along Blue Ridge Parkway

This looks promising.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/234197

Mountain bike specific trails along the Blue Ridge Parkway would be a good thing. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Tool
    [cynicism]

Which areas will they deny access to because of their generous offer?

[/cynicism]

It looks like the manager's on board, and keen to maintain the current trails for hikers and equestrians, which should keep everyone happy. I hope this goes through.

I see IMBA involvement here, as they'd be excited to forge a relationship with the NPS. Still a ways to go, though.

Because I am !
    I'm with you CCR and will also keep my fingers crossed.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    I wish they hadn't included the part about horses and bikers not wanting to share the trails. This is definitely not a 100% accurate statement. Sure there are some a$$es on both sides, but for the most part we coexist quite well at the Cove. I'd even be willing to alternate access days with them. IE: Odd days = horses, Even = bikers or something along those lines. I think it would be awesome to get to ride the Chestnut Ridge Loop and see development of additional trails. There is so much potential!
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen
    I wish they hadn't included the part about horses and bikers not wanting to share the trails. This is definitely not a 100% accurate statement. Sure there are some a$$es on both sides, but for the most part we coexist quite well at the Cove. I'd even be willing to alternate access days with them. IE: Odd days = horses, Even = bikers or something along those lines. I think it would be awesome to get to ride the Chestnut Ridge Loop and see development of additional trails. There is so much potential!
    I have to agree. From their quote it looks like that seperate (but equal?) trails may be the direction they choose. I guess if they are at least talking about mountain bikes that is a good thing. Any access at all is better than what we have now- nothing, at least locally.

If you have never seen Chestnut Ridge Loop Jen refers to, whoooo. Beautifully built 5.5 mile loop trail with some some Songbird type dips and knolls, rebuilt to IMBA standards, right on the edge of Roanoke. They have talked of opening it up to us, and then always change their minds. For now its hike, horse or poach - at a considerable fee if you get caught. Like bringing a sizzling T-bone steak in your living room, sitting it on the coffee table and leaving the room - telling your poor hungry dog - don't you dare eat that steak. When you return the steak is gone, the dog - looking a little guilty, but satisfied as you chastise him bad dog, bad dog. I suppose its the horse folks input that has kept us from gaining access to Chestnut Ridge, but ironically they don't really use that trail much. More dog walkers and trail runners.

Curious to see what plan the NPS comes up. I hope IMBA is involved already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Like bringing a sizzling T-bone steak in your living room, sitting it on the coffee table and leaving the room - telling your poor hungry dog - don't you dare eat that steak. When you return the steak is gone, the dog - looking a little guilty, but satisfied as you chastise him bad dog, bad dog.
    Easy there, CCR!

Regarding sharing trails with horses, I guess the only time I really experienced that was in Carvins Cove. Now, I wasn't thrilled with having to dodge horse dung, but in the end it was a small price to pay to enjoy such beautiful terrain and awesome trails.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood
    Easy there, CCR!

Regarding sharing trails with horses, I guess the only time I really experienced that was in Carvins Cove. Now, I wasn't thrilled with having to dodge horse dung, but in the end it was a small price to pay to enjoy such beautiful terrain and awesome trails.
    Woof Woof Ah sorry, might have gotten a little carried away on my comparison. Just hurts us Noke riders to see this sign on our way to other trails.

When I see that, I know I have to leave my wheelchair, shopping cart, and baby stroller at home to enjoy this trail.

I wonder if the NPS will have some shared use trails, otherwise they would have to build twice to keep everyone happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I know this will make alot of people happy myself included, people around here have been fighting for this for a long time. It will be a great addition to our community and work great with the already existing mill mountain trail network!

fingers crossed indeed

I believe a few dedicated mountain bike trails in the area would also be great. The argument use to be really strong for sharing trails and I still believe we can through good trail etiquette, however mountain bikes and the equipment have vastly improved in the passed 10 years. The possible speeds at which riders can reach on the trail and the type of terrain they are capable of tackling these days I think we could definitely benefit from mountain bike specific trails made for different riding ability levels. We really do not have any mountain bike dedicated trails in the area, everything is multi use and built with that in mind. It's likely with mountain bike specific trails it would make all the trails in the area safer in a few different ways even if one or two of these new mtb specific trails were advanced/expert level. I believe it would help spread the traffic load on the local trail systems as well as give everyone more safety because you know what to expect with the other users.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.

nefarious degenerate

Chestnut Loop badly needed

I was shocked and delighted to learn the NPS actually acknowledge bike use on trails as a legitimate activity. It wasn't so long ago, during a period of consistent hassles from the Roanoke area rangers, that I was sure road bikes days were numbered even on the asphalt!

The Chestnut was specifically rebuilt to support mountain bikes, but we all know that horses require the most strident of trail build specs It's a simple matter of mass+steel shoes=dirt shiftation.

The Chestnut Loop has long been a designated for a mountain bike "trial period" that has never come to fruition.Since it's already by definition a multi-use trail, the idea was to simply add bikes to the mix. This addition was noted on maps at public input meetings yet the ban still remains. New trails are good, but this one is a jewel that already connects to properly legal Mill Mountain trails.

I'm all for sharing use with whomever helps the cause. It's nice to be singled out, though. I was honored to be called on for comment in the article, and though it wasn't mentioned, the Chestnut Loop was a prime subject of the conversation. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the NPS, while talking about new and specific MTB trails, at least follows through on what's already there, both in the woods and on the planning table.
    Last edited by Nman; 01-26-2010 at 06:32 PM.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nman
    I was shocked and delighted to learn the NPS actually acknowledge bike use on trails as a legitimate activity. It wasn't so long ago, during a period of consistent hassles from the Roanoke area rangers, that I was sure road bikes days were numbered even on the asphalt!

The Chestnut was specifically rebuilt to support mountain bikes, but we all know that horses require the most strident of trail build specs It's a simple matter of mass+steel shoes=dirt shiftation.

The Chestnut Loop has long been a designated for a mountain bike "trial period" that has never come to fruition.Since it's already by definition a multi-use trail, the idea was to simply add bikes to the mix. This addition was noted on maps at public input meetings yet the ban still remains. New trails are good, but this one is a jewel that already connects to properly legal Mill Mountain trails.

I'm all for sharing use with whomever helps the cause. It's nice to be singled out, though. I was honored to be called on for comment in the article, and though it wasn't mentioned, the Chestnut Loop was a prime subject of the conversation. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the NPS, while talking about new and specific MTB trails, at least follows through on what's already there, both in the woods and on the planning table.
    Just another note on the Chestnut Rige Trail Loop rebuild. This one has been sitting on the back burner for so long, hence the sense of local frustration with having such a beautifully built trail just out of our reach..........

http://www.imba.com/news/trail_news/...lub_notes.html

Looks like the trail was rebuilt in 2004. It would be a really good place for the NPS to start bike access. Some site lines could be brushed back and improved on the east end of the trail system where it crosses the old farm and powerline. If we are ever allowed on it, I am sure we could keep that trail in much better shape than it is now. Theres quite a bit of vegetation encroachment in places, although the trail base is in excellent shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    CCR and Nman:

Do either of you know of someone I can contact in regards to opening Chestnut Ridge to bikes?

Write your senator a letter sorta thing..

Thanks

i ride a bicycle
    I m with matt891 on this , who can we send a letter to show our support for mtb on this trail ? Its hard for us to drive past the Cove to ride Mill Mtn,but with this addition it looks like it would be well worth it. more trails i say , more trails !

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mr. Obama promised a lot of things last night. But, I don't think he mentioned the Chestnut Loop. LOL

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Matt and mtbbc. I don't really know anyone in our area with the NPS. The article in the paper quotes a Gary Johnson as being in charge of the new management plan for the parkway. I don't really know how to contact him or if he is even the proper person in the NPS heirarchy for us to show our support for opening this trail (Sorry, CCR don't know chit)

I'm with you on more is better on the trail approach. As NMan mentioned, its always good to have variety.

If the Park Service would see us a partner, that could only be good. Hopefully at some point they will want our input again. The Chestnut Ridge Loop and Mill Mountain trails together would be about 15 miles of connected singletrack, much of it as well built as the Cove.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks like most questions can be answered at the site below.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/parknews/par...n-comments.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0