NOVA - Would a Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 be too much bike?- Mtbr.com
    beautiful jackass

NOVA - Would a Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 be too much bike?

I'm beginning the process of looking at bikes. Everything I've read about the Canyon Spectral makes it seem like a great deal for a fun bike. I'm an experienced rider and my last four bikes were bought online or without demoing so I'm comfortable with that aspect.

I spent the last 8 years on a singlespeed hardtail (Vassago Jabberwocky) because I felt it was perfectly suited to our regional trails (and I still believe that). My bike prior to that was a Transition Preston (if you remember those). The Preston felt like too much bike and was VERY HEAVY for riding what was essentially mild cross country terrain.

I'm getting older now and some of our trails (e.g. Fountainhead) have been upgraded with new features and drops suited for a bigger bike. For both of those reasons I'm looking for something with some cushion.

I've also realized recently that the Jabberwocky is a bit of an archaic bike at this point. It's geometry is outdated and finding a 80mm 29er fork with a non-tapered headtube and QR will be nearly impossible to source once my current fork bites the dust.

I ride Accotink and Fountainhead mostly, with occasional trips to Schaeffer, Rosaryville, and Raystown Lake (annually). Right now I feel limited on the back loop of Fountainhead on my singlespeed hardtail. I know it's doable, and I've done it but it does take its toll. I also feel like I'm missing out on some of the fun features back there as well. But no matter where I ride, the terrain will overall be similar - rooty and rocky with short climbs and descents.

With trail and enduro bikes occupying the biggest piece of the market right now, there are a lot of bikes to choose from. I'd love to find the ideal 130mm travel bike but many of them seem to be out of my budget, or more specific to cross country racing.

I want to stay under $2,800 and I want a fun, capable bike that won't leave me desiring something more nimble and quick feeling. I also don't buy bikes that often so I want something that won't feel out of date within only a few years.

I don't have a super strong preference over 29 vs 27.5. I'm 6'5" and I my single speed is a 29er. Before that my bike was a 26".

I'd love to hear any options I should consider.

mtbr member
    How about the DiamondBack Release 4C Carbon for $2,700 or the Release 3 for $2,400. They are 150/130 bikes. The Release 2 and Catch 2 are both about $2k and the Catch 2 is a 130/130 bike with 27.5+.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

beautiful jackass
    I haven't looked too much at Diamondback. The Catch 2 would be more of what I'm looking at.

I discovered the Trek Fuel EX 7 today as well, which seems to be a good option.

mtbr member
    I ride the same area, although I haven't done fountainhead yet. I think the bike will be fine. I guess it depends if you want to motor over roots or pop over them I ride with guys with 140mm travel and they do fine on the smoother trails like rosaryville and wakefield. I ride a rigid fat bike on the same trails and there are sections I would like some suspension so I picked up a Django 27.5 from evo for cheap money. I didn't want as much travel as the spectral because I wanted to have more pop, feel the trail more and don't plan of doing drops or jumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I ride a 150mm travel bike with 27.5 x 2.6s at Fountainhead and it's definitely not overkill. My focus is more improvements in sector times then style points over jumps. I know I'd be faster on a 100mm 29er at Fountainhead, but I very much appreciate the confidence in the rougher and steeper bits on the trail bike. Am I tempted to go with a more XC oriented bike? After two years on the trail bike I'd call it more curious than tempted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm 6'5"
    29r is the way to go. Plenty of LT 29rs out there too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Unless you're spending a bit of time in the GWNF or 'Shed, 150mm seems like a lot. Too much? Maybe not.

I'm riding a Fuel EX 9.8+ and the 140/130 travel works well. Don't use it all at Wakefield or Lake Fairfax, but it's nice to the black loop at FH or trips to Stokesville or EF.

So, I'd say check out a Fuel EX 7 (2019 spec to get NX Eagle).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check the YT jeffssy lot of bike for the money.

banned
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    I'm beginning the process of looking at bikes. Everything I've read about the Canyon Spectral makes it seem like a great deal for a fun bike. I'm an experienced rider and my last four bikes were bought online or without demoing so I'm comfortable with that aspect.

I spent the last 8 years on a singlespeed hardtail (Vassago Jabberwocky) because I felt it was perfectly suited to our regional trails (and I still believe that). My bike prior to that was a Transition Preston (if you remember those). The Preston felt like too much bike and was VERY HEAVY for riding what was essentially mild cross country terrain.

I'm getting older now and some of our trails (e.g. Fountainhead) have been upgraded with new features and drops suited for a bigger bike. For both of those reasons I'm looking for something with some cushion.

I've also realized recently that the Jabberwocky is a bit of an archaic bike at this point. It's geometry is outdated and finding a 80mm 29er fork with a non-tapered headtube and QR will be nearly impossible to source once my current fork bites the dust.

I ride Accotink and Fountainhead mostly, with occasional trips to Schaeffer, Rosaryville, and Raystown Lake (annually). Right now I feel limited on the back loop of Fountainhead on my singlespeed hardtail. I know it's doable, and I've done it but it does take its toll. I also feel like I'm missing out on some of the fun features back there as well. But no matter where I ride, the terrain will overall be similar - rooty and rocky with short climbs and descents.

With trail and enduro bikes occupying the biggest piece of the market right now, there are a lot of bikes to choose from. I'd love to find the ideal 130mm travel bike but many of them seem to be out of my budget, or more specific to cross country racing.

I want to stay under $2,800 and I want a fun, capable bike that won't leave me desiring something more nimble and quick feeling. I also don't buy bikes that often so I want something that won't feel out of date within only a few years.

I don't have a super strong preference over 29 vs 27.5. I'm 6'5" and I my single speed is a 29er. Before that my bike was a 26".

I'd love to hear any options I should consider.
    Here is a BikesDirect Motobecane for $3K. Step up to carbon fiber not alu, with Eagle GX and 150/140 RShox.

It's a grand over my budget, and I'm not much of a fan of GX Eagle, but it's close to your price point. Not sure what the sales tax situ is with either Canyon or BD.

The claimed weight is sub 29 lbs. probably 3 lbs lighter than the canyon if the claimed weights are accurate.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

Canyon has a stepdown model, the 5, for just $2100, with NX Eagle:

https://www.canyon.com/en-id/mountai...ts-section-tab

Personally, I've never been impressed with SRAM shifting. If you can find a bike with SLX 12 speed at around $3K I say go for it.

VitalMTB has a comparison test of a half dozen trail bikes at just $2K. You should check it out.