NoVA/Shennandoah Ride- Mtbr.com
    Shop *****

NoVA/Shennandoah Ride

Anyone know of a good (LONG) ride, like 4-5 days with camping? I want to do this over spring break, live off the land type deal. I would be brining a light backpack (30lbs) possibly a friend. I wanted to go to a trail that goes near a lake, rivers, etc. It would be pretty much my HS Senior Getaway, because I have to work over the summer (Sadly )

But, anyone know something good?
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

Shop *****
    Forgot to mention: Something All Mountain.. Singletrack, with some tech sections...?

I live to bike
    Massanutten Mountain trail in Elizabeth Furnace area. Put the east, west, and south trails together for a good loop. It's about 75 miles total. It will definitely test your bike handling skills and your stamina. I haven't done the whole loop, just ridden parts of it, but it's fun. The section I did wasn't real fast, but definitely tech. Probably can do the whole thing in three good days of riding, but there are other trails to do some more riding.

Also, lots of good trails in George Washington National Forest.

Shop *****
    Yeah, i've heard of GW National Forest, also the Frederick Watershed, but I don't think you're allowed to camp overnight there. I was really looking for something like the Appalachian trail, where you go UP, go by some cool lakes, rivers, and creeks, and you can see for MILES, then you take a huge downhill coming back, like, 3-4 hours of DH.. Cause i'd be riding an AM bike, so it really would be a test of endurance..

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    3-4 hours of DH.. Cause i'd be riding an AM bike, so it really would be a test of endurance..
    Sorry, but you are not going to find anywhere in VA, or even close to VA with a 3-4 hour descent. Not unless you ride 1/2mph when you descend

As for long multi-day epics, you may want to consider a point to point on SMT (Shenandoah Mountain Trail) and maybe even link up a few diversions onto other trails in GWNF when headed through. You could come up with a really long ride. Maybe start at Rt33 and head south on the trail. Once getting down towards Reddish Knob you can start descending down some of the off shoot ridges into the valley. Like Timber Ridge/Wolf Ridge, Hearthstone, Little Bald, etc. and then take a forrest road over to another climb back up to SMT like Braley/Bridge Hollow. I'm considering doing a similar ride myself sometime in the future.

Shop *****
    Sounds good.. I saw your post on RM, about the SMT100, looks like a trail that I want to do, but I thought it was closed after race day?
    If its not... I'd be sure to hit that trail up, print out a map and such and take a long trip. I don't care if it's not 3-4 hour descents.. It'd be nice to do so, but it would be like 14000 ft up, so there's nothing around here. BUT, one question: are there lakes/rivers/streams there? I want to jump in one after about 4-5 hours on the trail. Just jump in a pond/lake that's crystal clear water.. Not much of that here in VA. But, thats what I was going to eventually plan on, as soon as I lighten up my bike... 40lbs is heavy!

Shop *****
    I guess this would be the trail?
    http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/h...e_map_2002.htm
    There's lots of lakes and rivers.. That is what I think I am going to do, if it's allowed to be ridden on.

Feb 2006
    The SM100 and SMT are two different things entirely. SMT is the Shenadoah Mountain Trail, which rides the ridge of Shenandoah Mountain. The SM100 is a 100 mile race course that connects a bunch of trail in the GWNF. At one point, the trail climbs up to Shenandoah Mtn., but never really rides the SMT. All of the trails, both contained in the SM100 and SMT are open year round, with exception of the short descent from Lookout into the campground/finish line of the SM100 race. This section of trail is only open when the campground is open during events. Otherwise, almost all of GWNF is open to biking, except for the Ramsey's Draft Wilderness.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    Sounds good.. I saw your post on RM, about the SMT100, looks like a trail that I want to do, but I thought it was closed after race day?
    If its not... I'd be sure to hit that trail up, print out a map and such and take a long trip. I don't care if it's not 3-4 hour descents.. It'd be nice to do so, but it would be like 14000 ft up, so there's nothing around here. BUT, one question: are there lakes/rivers/streams there? I want to jump in one after about 4-5 hours on the trail. Just jump in a pond/lake that's crystal clear water.. Not much of that here in VA. But, thats what I was going to eventually plan on, as soon as I lighten up my bike... 40lbs is heavy!
    As M&S pointed out, most of the trails along the SM 100 route are open to the public. Several lakes, ponds, and streams around the area. My son went swimming in Todd Lake while I rode in the SM 100.

As for 3-4 hour descents--you wouldn't want one of those in VA! It would kill you, you would be dead from shear exhaustion long before you got to the bottom.

Shop *****
    The more and more I read about the George washington National Forest, the more I want to leave school for a week and go now.. but i'm gonna have to wait a year to go, until I can get my new bike all built up

Shop *****
    Ok, this is def. gonna happen.
    Either Spring break, or late june, after I get out of school... Most likely June, so the water is all warmed up for me to jump in...
    Anyone else want to come? I am gonna do a training program (Running and stationary cycling) during the winter, so I can get in a lil more muscles and endurance...

Members who have read this thread: 0