NoVA holiday trip recommendations- Mtbr.com
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

NoVA holiday trip recommendations

Hey there,

I'm coming out to visit the family in Falls Church at the end of December and while I grew up in NoVA, I haven't ridden out there since moving to the PacNW two decades ago.

Any pointers on the local goods? I love steeps, tech and gnar; but am happy to just get out and pedal. I'm already thinking Fountainhead; but have also heard good things about Watershed.

Also need to rent a bike -- I've heard about The Bike Lane and Germantown Cycles; but any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Steep, tech and gnar is the Frederick Watershed first and foremost... I've heard Fountainhead is a ton of fun, but never heard those words used for it.

I work at Bike Doctor in Frederick and we have a demo fleet of Trek trail bikes that are $50 for 48 hours, just call in advance to make sure we've got what you need available size-wise. Depending on when you stop in we can likely sort you out on a route as well.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Steep, tech and gnar is the Frederick Watershed first and foremost... I've heard Fountainhead is a ton of fun, but never heard those words used for it.

I work at Bike Doctor in Frederick and we have a demo fleet of Trek trail bikes that are $50 for 48 hours, just call in advance to make sure we've got what you need available size-wise. Depending on when you stop in we can likely sort you out on a route as well.
    Thanks -- just the kind of info I was looking for! You're going to make things real easy for me! What are your holiday hours?

Just hoping the weather cooperates...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I live in Frederick, wife an I just went to Fountain head yesterday on hardtails because we wanted fast with berms for a change. The Watershed and Gambrills State park will give you plenty of miles of what you are looking for.

I don't work at Bike Doctor, they are my go to LBS and will take good care of you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Fountain head is really fun! I was there last week. Tons of berms, lots of jumps, and a few drops thrown in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone know of shops that rent decent rigs near fountainhead?

beater
    Good to know. Like the OP, I grew up in NoVA and left in '96. My parents have moved south to Stafford. Sometime I'd like to bring my bike with me and do a trip from there, but short of that it'd be nice to just get in a few local rides with my buddy in Clarendon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Fountainhead and Wake-O-Tink area favorites. Laurel Hills and Meadowood aren't technical but are fun to ride. Check out the MTBProject.com for trail info.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Highly recommend The Bike Lane in Springfield and Reston VA for Rentals. Springfield store is not far from Fountainhead. Reston is closer to the Lake Fairfax Trail system. Great crew over there at both locations.
    Last edited by MASC1104; 12-06-2016 at 05:32 AM.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've havent been to Fountainhead yet but I've been to meadowood a few times with some friends and they liked it better than FH. I know Spokes ETC in Fairfax has bike rentals(Specialized) I believe $75 for the day but don't quote me on that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jonder91 View Post
    I've havent been to Fountainhead yet but I've been to meadowood a few times with some friends and they liked it better than FH. I know Spokes ETC in Fairfax has bike rentals(Specialized) I believe $75 for the day but don't quote me on that.
    Meadowood and Fountainhead are two totally different kinds of trails. Depends what you are looking for on a particular day. Wakefield and Accotink are fun too

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Thanks -- just the kind of info I was looking for! You're going to make things real easy for me! What are your holiday hours?

Just hoping the weather cooperates...
    Sorry, I don't check in here often... We are running winter hours now; 10-7 on weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 11-5 on Sundays. I'm there Wednesday and Friday evenings as well as all day Sunday... But there's a bunch of guys just as knowledgeable as me, including the owner who is there everyday but Thursday and Sunday.

Jan 2004
    Sorry, I don't check in here often... We are running winter hours now; 10-7 on weekdays, 10-6 on Saturdays and 11-5 on Sundays. I'm there Wednesday and Friday evenings as well as all day Sunday... But there's a bunch of guys just as knowledgeable as me, including the owner who is there everyday but Thursday and Sunday.
    Right on -- thanks, buddy!