NOVA FS Suspension Travel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

NOVA FS Suspension Travel

I live in NOVA and am about to move from a hard tail to a fs bike. Any suggestions on suspensions travel for the NOVA DC area? I may take the occasional trip to Shenandoah. I feel like a lot of the more popular bikes like the stumpjumper and the ex 8 may have too much travel for the area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    A 120mm frame with a Fox 34 (complete with 120, 130, 140mm air shafts) will be more than enough for 99% of VA riding, short of lift accessed riding.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How does the frame factor in? What does it affect in the ride?

Formerly of Kent
    Suspension characteristics and geometry are going to determine how it reacts to terrain, pedals, and handles.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'd agree with Le Duke. Since we pedal all-the-time in NoVA, I'd get a bike that pedals efficiently. Probably about any 120mm-or-less rear travel frame is going to be a decent pedaling bike. 120mm isn't a hard and fast rule by any means, but it's probably a decent guide to start out with.

The Stumpy or Fuel EX that you mention are probably fine bikes to consider for this area. My opinion, though, I wouldn't go any longer travel than that unless you have some real gravity aspirations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by p1nhead View Post
    I'd agree with Le Duke. Since we pedal all-the-time in NoVA, I'd get a bike that pedals efficiently. Probably about any 120mm-or-less rear travel frame is going to be a decent pedaling bike. 120mm isn't a hard and fast rule by any means, but it's probably a decent guide to start out with.

The Stumpy or Fuel EX that you mention are probably fine bikes to consider for this area. My opinion, though, I wouldn't go any longer travel than that unless you have some real gravity aspirations.
    That's actually the direction I'm leaning. I demo-ed the fuel ex 8 plus (140 front) and the niner rkt rdo (100 in the front). The niner felt really good suspension wise, stiff but still absorbed the roots. On the other hand I really liked the plus tires from the ex 8. So at the moment I'm leaning towards a lower travel 120mm like the cannondale bad habit (suggestion I got from another thread). Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Suspension characteristics and geometry are going to determine how it reacts to terrain, pedals, and handles.

is there a sticky on this somewhere? i've been trying to google frame size and all i get are fit guides

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by latemp View Post
    is there a sticky on this somewhere? i've been trying to google frame size and all i get are fit guides
    Frame size IS a fit thing.

What are you looking for?

Truth be told, if you're asking this question, you'd probably be best served by taking a bunch of bikes out for demo/test rides, then nothing which bikes you like most, for what reasons, and drawing conclusions from there.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree 120mm is probably good. Depending on the riding you do 100mm could suit you as well.

I ran my TB V1 100mm at Bryce Mountain several times, rode every trail and obstacle - no issues.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Agree with previous responses. 120 travel is a good middle ground for NOVA.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."