not the best first post- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

not the best first post

So I really didn't think this would be my first post, but I just moved into the Arlington area last night. Took my bike for a spin to try and find some trails all today. Then rode it into dc to visit my gf at work...Well I come out after about 45 mins and my bike is gone! I had it locked up with a kryptonite cable lock through everything...and no one there saw anyone take it

The bike was a Iron Horse Sachem 4.0, all black, and the only mod was electrical tape around the chain stay. Being stolen in dc its probably gone on some underground market, because I'll be sure to be checking craigslist and ebay. I know it's not that expensive of a bike, but it fit my needs for the 4 rides I got to take it on So for those in the area I'd appreciate it if any leads are found. I walked around for 30mins in the area and saw nothing, but I guess riding a fs bike in the city stands out more than I thought.

Anyway, on the brighter side I'll probably end up getting another bike along with a few U locks, and taking the metro into dc for now on. So after I get all this squared away, anyone know some good trails in the area?

Masher
    go get set up on dcfixed.com. the eyes and ears in there have a surprisingly good recovery rate.

still, i dont want to get your hopes up. stolen bikes are very often gone for good.

if nothing else, dcfixed is a good place for you to make some new bike friends.

Masher
    here's something to make you feel better.

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/7b6_1253040976"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/7b6_1253040976" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    thanks, Im about to look that site up now.

and that video made my night...although if I caught or saw anyone with my bike tonight it would have been bad. they might be able to walk again let alone steal bikes. I was w my gf at dinner (looking out the window most of the time) and she was asking me how I felt...of course I told her I was heated, being a big guy(muscular) and in decent running shape, she told me that she wished Id just cry because I would have ran out of the restaurant and beat the **** out of whoever was on my bike...unless it was an old lady or they didnt attempt to run

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Tha sucks sdude30. I hope your luck improves.

I am the owl
    That sucks, but bikes do occasionally get recovered. I'd also post over on the MORE site, there are a lot of eyes and ears in the DC area over there.

For the city, consider a cheap beater bike but still lock it up securely. As you found out, a cable lock just isn't going to do.

Also, post exactly where the bike was stolen, there's a good chance it is being ridden close by. And if you have a photo, post that too.

Good luck
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What a crappy feeling, to walk out a door and see your bike gone. I've been there, felt that. Really sucks A LOT!

Members who have read this thread: 0